talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wednesday 21st February, 2018 - Sevilla 0-0 Man Utd (1st Leg)

football forum

Sevilla vs Man Utd  

4 members have voted

1. 1. The Result

2. 2. How Many Goals in the Game?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Fox Sport's general football commentary/punditry is depressing as fuck. Having to hear Alexi Lalas (you might ask "who?" and to that I will say "exactly!" ... but he was a bog-standard defender who played in Italy once before they realised he was shite, pretty much his claim to fame) give his opinion on anything is awful.

I've heard of Alexi Lalas simply because of US Soccer Guy on Twitter xD

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Fox Sport's general football commentary/punditry is depressing as fuck. Having to hear Alexi Lalas (you might ask "who?" and to that I will say "exactly!" ... but he was a bog-standard defender who played in Italy once before they realised he was shite, pretty much his claim to fame) give his opinion on anything is awful.

England has Ray Wilkins as an 'expert', so Alexi Lalas doesn't seem so bad.

I don't think I've seen a side around the upper levels of European football so dramatically dependent on one player in the last 4/5 years as United with De Gea. 

He's single-handedly kept United at least within the status of being a European presence throughout years of shite transfer policy and sub-par coaching. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Inverted said:

I don't think I've seen a side around the upper levels of European football so dramatically dependent on one player in the last 4/5 years as United with De Gea. 

He's single-handedly kept United at least within the status of being a European presence throughout years of shite transfer policy and sub-par coaching. 

In a way he's the worst thing to happen to them. The amount of problems that seem to go unaddressed because they were bailed out by De Gea.

----------------------

Me and my mate have just had a good argument about this game. I had to mention it because the argument went on that long as neither of us back down. He thinks it's a good result for Man Utd and I don't. He argues they're still favourites and still likely to go through. I argue that they're in a weaker position than they were 24 hours ago and if they go through it's despite this 1st leg rather than because of it. I can half see his point, he can't see mine. Who is right?

47 minutes ago, Dan said:

In a way he's the worst thing to happen to them. The amount of problems that seem to go unaddressed because they were bailed out by De Gea.

----------------------

Me and my mate have just had a good argument about this game. I had to mention it because the argument went on that long as neither of us back down. He thinks it's a good result for Man Utd and I don't. He argues they're still favourites and still likely to go through. I argue that they're in a weaker position than they were 24 hours ago and if they go through it's despite this 1st leg rather than because of it. I can half see his point, he can't see mine. Who is right?

I think it goes both ways. A goalless draw in European away games is not the worst result. But at the same time United were completely outplayed and we're generally shite, more of the same and Sevilla can progress. But I think United are still favourites. It's just very easy to criticise a side that has all the resources in the world and continually produces utterly shite football.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

----------------------

Id rather be in Sevilla's position, any kind of score draw puts them through but united needs to win the game, id say advantage Sevillia 

Not scoring an away goal is a disadvantage, not sure why that isn't picked up.

I would expect United to win the home leg but in all honesty I hope Sevilla win with a 1-1 draw. United were one of the great English sides consistently for years. Mismanaged by the board hiring Moyes and LVG, hired a winner in Mourinho but the football is dramatically shit and boring. I'm no United fan but that's not the United I grew up watching, they don't have to be Fergy good but better than the shower of shite served up so far.

Overly physical, robotic, stick it on Lukakus head and hope he scores. I wouldn't normally hope a City side would win the league, but given it's exciting attacking football vs dull scraping the barrel football I hope City win it again next year, or preferably Liverpool but you can't rely on them.

Watched the second half and it was very poor from United, why have all those good attacking players if you sit back and defend all game long. Pogba was terrible and i don't even mind the lad apart from his childish acting away from the pitch. No way in hell will Jose win the title next year with this approach and knowing him he will stick to it until he is sacked.

0-0 at home (for the home side) in Europe is a very good result for the obvious reasons like the fact that it conditions the home side in the next leg (Man Utd in this case) to be extremely cautious and can’t play how they would normally want to play at home (not that Mourinho ever wants his team to be the attacking protagonist).  De Gea is great but he’s not God and Sevilla can score which means that this would put the game at an obvious disadvantage for United and with one goal you’re always afraid another can be scored which means an epic score line for the home side to go through after that.

Mourinho will approach the game in exactly the same manner as he did the first leg which is embarrassing but then again that’s the way it’s always been with him. He couldn’t give a damn about entertainment..

He just wants to nick it and win because he doesn’t know any other way.  If it ends up being a rare great performance where his team win by various goals, then great!  But it ain’t by design from his part.

Sevilla would obviously have preferred to have scored with the chances they had but the first priority considering who they were playing and the fact it’s a European game was not to concede at home.  Sevilla have nowhere near the status Manchester United have and they can never be embarrassed in all of this which they’ve already made sure of in the first leg for the world to see.  The embarrassment lies at the feet of one of the biggest clubs in the world... I’d hate to be a Man Utd fan in this period under Mourinho.

De Gea's importance to United since Ferguson left is arguably at the level of Messi's to Barca, and definitely Ronaldo's to Madrid.

It's a bit crazy that so much effort has come from such an outrageously good player just to secure a couple of top-4 finishes and a couple of cups, when he could walk into any team in Europe. If United win their first league or CL of the post-Fergie era with him, he absolutely deserves to go down as a club legend.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Inverted said:

I'm quite firmly of the opinion that 0-0 is a good result for the home side in a first leg.

Ofc United are still favourites, but a 0-0 narrows the odds very slightly. 

That in a nutshell is my point. He thinks it's a good result for Man Utd and I can't see how it is.

If Man Utd or Chelsea get to the quarter finals, it's despite the 1st leg, rather than because of it, and there's absolutely no outcome where that isn't the case.

This argument went on way too long.

I love Mourinho, but fuck, that was shite.

His Chelsea and Inter teams used to play defensive football (his Real side as well, but had more attacking quality than the previous two teams and could score buckets of goals for fun), but you felt that they had the control of the game. They defended well and control the game well.

With this United team, you feel that they mostly defend, because they aren't capable of doing much else. They don't control matches like Mourinho's previous teams, they are very average going forward. Even their defensive capacity isn't all that. 

Either they improve a lot, next season, or I can see it being Mourinho's last season at a top football club.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived