talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Martin Schmidt resigns as head coach of Wolfsburg

football forum

• Subscriber

Martin Schmidt has resigned as head coach of Wolfsburg, the club confirmed on Monday.

The 50-year-old, who only took the job in September 2017 following the sacking of Andries Jonker, leaves with the 2009 Bundesliga champions sat just a point above the relegation play-off spot.

"Martin Schmidt has decided to step down in order for a new coach to come in and secure our top-flight status as quickly as possible," said Wolfsburg sporting director Olaf Rebbe. "We'd have liked to have realised this objective together, but we can't change his mind. We have to respect it, even though I have to admit it's a surprise. He was the coach we wanted. Now we'll turn our attentions to the game against Mainz on Friday."

Schmidt oversaw 22 matches in the Wolfsburg dugout, with a points-per-game average of 1.18 (W6, D11, L5). He was the Lower Saxony outfit's fourth head coach in the last two years.

Wolfsburg were beaten by a last-gasp penalty from Bayern Munich's Robert Lewandowski at the weekend. They travel to fellow strugglers Mainz - Schmidt's former club - on Bundesliga Matchday 24.

Source: https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/wolfsburg-head-coach-martin-schmidt-resigns-473860.jsp

That's quite a bit unexpected. 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

It´s mesmerising how Labbadia seems to be always in contemption when a Buli club looks for a new manager.

Yeah, he either has a very good agent or a strong lobby behind him xD I think he's not the worst short-term option in order to avoid relegation, but as a long-term solution, it's a guaranteed failure.

Korkut, Frontzeck, Dutt, and now Labbadia are all back in recent weeks, very creative and bold thinking by German clubs xD 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

What's going on at Wolfsburg? They were a decent team not so long ago but have been floating above relegation for a few seasons now. 

I guess selling KDB and Draxler hurt them?

Just bad management in general, similar to most of the clubs that used to be near the top and are now struggling at the bottom each year. Wolfsburg had the finances, but seriously lacked any kind of competence, and with VW reducing financial support, they're probably get even worse in the near future.

• Subscriber
Just now, Cannabis said:

Forgot about VW actually, I think you mentioned that the last time I asked the question :$. Shame that this along with bad management has screwed them over but it seems to be a bit of a trend in Germany now. 

I still remember how stunned I was when Stuttgart (a fantastic team during my childhood) dropped.

Not a shame really, they deserve it as much as I'm concerned :ph34r: Even with reduced financial backing, they still can afford more than most of other clubs, so it's really their own fault for driving their club down into the ground.

Yeah, Stuttgart is one of the "traditional" clubs that experienced the downfall which is now so typical; it's mad how so many clubs have been so badly mismanaged in recent years.

Archived