talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Friday 23rd March - Netherlands 0-1 England

football forum

Koeman will be in charge of his first game for the Netherlands and has already indicated that he will hand debuts to a look at youth.     Kluivert, Ramselaar, Frenkie de Jong, Justin Hoogma, Steve Bergwijn, plus Van de Beek and de Ligt.     Should be exciting to see against England.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I saw this was Netherlands and the venue was Amsterdam, I envisaged thousands of England fans going, most without tickets, just to have a drink and sampling the delights of Amsterdam, however I think I might be wrong there. 

I signed up to the England Supporters Club years ago when they were advertising tickets for £20 for England games, though I’ve never bothered to actually go to England games. I get a fair few emails from them and even as recently as a couple of weeks ago, I’ve been getting offers for tickets for the game from The FA. I’ve even seen tickets going online on viagogo for £50. 

I was tempted to go. I could have got return flights to Eindhoven for £30, return trains to Amsterdam for €18 and a hotel in Eindhoven for £30 for a night but I’ve got too much going on in March, I’m going to Wembley for the Italy game and my mates all say they’ll do something then pull out. 

As for the match, it’s too early to say what England players will develop minor injuries in the buildup to this and the Italy game and pull out. 

You’d like to hope that the strongest England side available at the time of posting this would be able to beat the Dutch, especially if they’re playing young players with no/little experience of European and/or International Football. Though as England have proven in recent years, friendlies don’t translate to tournaments. 

• The title was changed to Friday 23rd March - Netherlands vs England
  • The topic was pinned

It should be a minimum expectation that we win this, Netherlands are shit but still hold a certain level of history and respect as a footballing nation. Phsycologically we need to go out and beat them and hopefully that can help build a winning foundation against better sides.

But this is England so a 2-2 draw, last minute equaliser to us or them.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like Jack Wilshere will be given an opportunity. I wouldn't be against him being on the plane. We know what we will get with Jack. He's focused, gives his all, experienced and is one of the few midfielders in the center we have that can drive forward.

Whilst Eric Dier has been very good at international level I feel starting him against Panama and Tunisia on central midfielder is a real negative tactically minded message to send out. 

On 3/15/2018 at 09:44, Smiley Culture said:

That Netherlands side is like a who’s who of shite current and ex-Premier League players, barring Van Dijk. 

There are a few ex young players who were in the Prem,  but I wouldnt say Kluivert, Van de Beek, Til and de Ligt are shite, they are some of the best up and coming players in Europe. 

41 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

There are a few ex young players who were in the Prem,  but I wouldnt say Kluivert, Van de Beek, Til and de Ligt are shite, they are some of the best up and coming players in Europe. 

Kluivert, van de Beek, Til and de Ligt haven’t played Premier League Football so it’s hard to call them “a who’s who of current and ex-Premier League shite”.  

4 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Kluivert, van de Beek, Til and de Ligt haven’t played Premier League Football so it’s hard to call them “a who’s who of current and ex-Premier League shite”.  

I meant out of the squad in general

Probably the line up below Koeman will go with.

------------------------------Cillessen--------------------------

Tete------------De Vrij-------------Van Dijk---------Ake

--------------------------Van de Beek-----------------------

----------------Wijnaldum------------Strootman------

Kluivert/Promes------  Dost-----------------Depay

12 hours ago, VanPaddy said:

Hopefully Holland will be able to use Dost with Koeman, its unbelievable the scoring record he is on at Lisbon 56 games 59 scored, but he only has 1 goal in 15 for the National team due to limited minutes on the pitch. 

Reminds me a lot of Ruidiaz with us. 35+ goals for Monarcas in 3 seasons but only 3 in 30 for Peru. I'm not using the "league" standard excuse for either, as Portugal and Mexico should be enough to do better than that.

• The title was changed to Friday 23rd March - Netherlands 0-1 England
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived