• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football League 2017/18 - 23-27th February, 2018

football forum

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Lucas said:

When you see just how well Fulham play, it's actually ludicrous to think that someone like Cardiff could go up at the expense of them. Football is sometimes a very weird sport.

Fulham were shit at the beginning of the season to the point that Jokanovic could have been sacked.

We may not be pretty but we've been generally consistent regardless.

3 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Fulham were shit at the beginning of the season to the point that Jokanovic could have been sacked.

We may not be pretty but we've been generally consistent regardless.

Yeah you've been consistent, can't knock that to be honest.

Fulham took a while to get going for sure but they are on it now. And they play the right way. It's a personal preference for me to see the better footballing sides go up. But they will wobble again at some point, they are down here for a reason after all.

Think Villa will still get second mind and Fulham (hopefully) in the playoffs.

• Administrator

needs to be some credit for Plymouth I think.

Bottom of League One in December. In the space of 2 months, they've shot up the table and are now in play-off contention. 

They've only lost 1 in 15 games and have won their last 6 games, including beating top 2 Blackburn and Shrewsbury. 

• Administrator

just heard the news about the Leeds fan that died after the game yesterday. 

Got run over outside Elland Road. Pushed a kid out the way first and then got hit :(.

Very sad. RIP. 

I said before the game that Shrewsbury have probably hit their maximum this season but I'm happy to hold my hands up and say that I am wrong. Shrewsbury were comfortably better than Charlton yesterday and you can see why they're second in League One. Charlton on the other hand were dire and probably won't be expecting to be playing at Wembley come May Bank Holiday weekend. 

Charlton started better in the opening fifteen minutes and should have scored but Dean Henderson, the Shrewsbury keeper, made two great saves. Shrewsbury got, what looked like a soft a penalty, later in the half but Jon Nolan, who was superb, tamely hit it at Ben Amos and then managed to knock the ball onto the crossbar. The rest of the half was utterly dour. Shrewsbury had more of the ball but didn't create anything, whilst Charlton looked like they could cause a decent counter attack because they had three or four pacy player but didn't actually have a player capable of creating absolutely anything. 

The second half was all Shrewsbury though, Alex Rodman scored a superb goal almost in front of where I was sat, cutting in from the wing to curl a shot into the Charlton goal and then the Charlton defence parted to allow Omar Beckles a free header to double the Shrews' lead. 

Charlton were utterly woeful, their players seemed to believe they had all the time in the world when on the ball and just seemed like they had no game plan or structure to their side. The boos at the end were telling and there was quite a bit of abuse aimed at the ever arrogant Karl Robinson. 

Not the greatest game in the World, but for £5 I can't grumble.

A point away at Norwich - I'd have snapped your hand off for that. By all accounts it sounded like proper backs to the wall, dogged defending and another case of 11 players running through brick walls for the club. On another day it could have been a cricket score but Norwich were wasteful. That's fine by me, I'm happy to bring every team we play until May down to our technique-free level, if it means we get the points to stay up. 

-

@Smiley Culture  Shame to hear about Charlton being dross. There was me hoping they'd take Ben Amos and his hilarious £16k a week wages off our books permanently after a promotion. 

As an aside, I still have no idea how Shrewsbury are keeping up with Blackburn and Wigan - would be astonishing to see them go up at the expense of either of those clubs. I expected them to falter by now but they seem relentless!!

11 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

A point away at Norwich - I'd have snapped your hand off for that. By all accounts it sounded like proper backs to the wall, dogged defending and another case of 11 players running through brick walls for the club. On another day it could have been a cricket score but Norwich were wasteful. That's fine by me, I'm happy to bring every team we play until May down to our technique-free level, if it means we get the points to stay up. 

-

@Smiley Culture  Shame to hear about Charlton being dross. There was me hoping they'd take Ben Amos and his hilarious £16k a week wages off our books permanently after a promotion. 

As an aside, I still have no idea how Shrewsbury are keeping up with Blackburn and Wigan - would be astonishing to see them go up at the expense of either of those clubs. I expected them to falter by now but they seem relentless!!

Amos wasn't bad by any means, it was the ten in front of him that were pretty bad but I'd be surprised, especially from the comments around me from proper Charlton fans, if they made the play-off's. 

I have no idea how they've maintained such form but they were good value for the win and played some very good football yesterday.

41 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I said before the game that Shrewsbury have probably hit their maximum this season but I'm happy to hold my hands up and say that I am wrong. Shrewsbury were comfortably better than Charlton yesterday and you can see why they're second in League One. Charlton on the other hand were dire and probably won't be expecting to be playing at Wembley come May Bank Holiday weekend. 

Charlton started better in the opening fifteen minutes and should have scored but Dean Henderson, the Shrewsbury keeper, made two great saves. Shrewsbury got, what looked like a soft a penalty, later in the half but Jon Nolan, who was superb, tamely hit it at Ben Amos and then managed to knock the ball onto the crossbar. The rest of the half was utterly dour. Shrewsbury had more of the ball but didn't create anything, whilst Charlton looked like they could cause a decent counter attack because they had three or four pacy player but didn't actually have a player capable of creating absolutely anything. 

The second half was all Shrewsbury though, Alex Rodman scored a superb goal almost in front of where I was sat, cutting in from the wing to curl a shot into the Charlton goal and then the Charlton defence parted to allow Omar Beckles a free header to double the Shrews' lead. 

Charlton were utterly woeful, their players seemed to believe they had all the time in the world when on the ball and just seemed like they had no game plan or structure to their side. The boos at the end were telling and there was quite a bit of abuse aimed at the ever arrogant Karl Robinson. 

Not the greatest game in the World, but for £5 I can't grumble.

Did Sulley Kaikai play? I've heard he's settled in at Charlton quite well thus far.

Another really poor home result. I don't know how we score so little goals with the creative players we have. We really struggle when a team has a defensive plan and digs their heels in. at home we've had 0-0s with Bolton, and Burton, 1-1 with Barnsley, 1-1 with Hull, 3-0 loss to Sunderland. Awful results against teams in and around the relegation zone. 

If we would've won yesterday we would be 5 points off the play-offs. That glimmer of hope kills you.

Farke sent to the stands in injury time was very out of character. At least he seems as frustrated as us. On the plus side that's about 6 unbeaten now but too many draws.

OOOOHHHH KENNETH ZOOHHOOORREEE!!!

Not a great spectacle by any means and neither side looked particularly great (the only thing of note in the first half was a great Feeney chance and Baker being lucky not to see red after 5 minutes), but Zohore's introduction for the second half made us look a bit more threatening and it paid off eventually. While he hasn't scored loads, his pace and power can scare the shit out of defenders when given the right sort of ball (ie. not in the air all the time).

Defence was strong and pretty much kept the carrot crunchers at bay (well, Connolly showed his lack of game time as he was pretty average), while Hoilett and Feeney as well in fairness were quite threatening on the wings. However, while Paterson got stuck in, Ralls wasn't great today and I would rather not see Halford's name in the starting line up again.

As for Bristol City, they turned up. That was all.

Another important win for us yesterday backed by just under 3,000 fans. We blew them away first half but conceded a really soft goal just before half time then during half time a number of our players were vomiting (Dack not involved due to illness) so its no wonder we struggled second half. However, we dug in and saw the game out. Surprised Shrewsbury won at Charlton so it was even more important we won too. 

Long trip to AFC Wimbledon now on Tuesday and we have sold out our allocation. Fair play to our fans, we get criticised a lot but our away support this season has been exceptional. 

• Subscriber
On 2/24/2018 at 20:44, Stan said:

needs to be some credit for Plymouth I think.

Bottom of League One in December. In the space of 2 months, they've shot up the table and are now in play-off contention. 

They've only lost 1 in 15 games and have won their last 6 games, including beating top 2 Blackburn and Shrewsbury. 

Couldn't believe the table when I saw it. That's an incredible turnaround. You could see them going all the way.

Comfortable game for us tonight, currently leading AFC Wimbledon 3-0. We sold out our allocation tonight for a long midweek trip in awful weather so thankfully those fans in particular are being rewarded! Other teams around us may have games in hand but we can only focus on ourselves and get as many points as possible. With Antonsson, Lenihan, Whittingham, Gladwin and Chapman either returned or returning to fitness we can only get better in the remaining games.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived