talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Primeira Liga - Portugal

football forum

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I've just had a quick look and Hurtado signed for Reading a few years back making a whopping five appearances in two years before being sent to Guimaraes to continue his quest for the Balon d'Or.

are they a bigger club than Guimaraes?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Stan said:

2 goals and 4 assists.

League-ripping form!

No way that's accurate. Seen his name on the scoresheet more than that.

14 minutes ago, Stan said:

so it's not even 2 goals in the league xDxD 

I didn't know stats meant anything, but I think I'm confusing goals with assists. He is different from Carrillo and actually has a proper end product. He's one of the top assisters in the league. Not bad for the club he plays for.

Not long before he goes to Benfica, Porto or Sporting I would say. He's been the top player at this club the past 2 years.

Just now, Spike said:

lmao
The great Portuguese league, where the almighty Jonas has over a goal per game.

I think that's a bit harsh to be honest, not on either Hurtado or Jonas mind you. Its a feeder league and I think its very good to prove yourself to make a step up to a bigger league.

I never said Hurtado would reach world level, I just think he's underrated. Even in the Peru setup, he's overlooked sometimes and he's done well everytime he's come on.

That said, I think the Dutch league is better for it. 

6 hours ago, Blue said:

Not long before he goes to Benfica, Porto or Sporting I would say. He's been the top player at this club the past 2 years.

He will never. Doesn't have the profile and he's 27 now. The big 3 in Portugal don't buy "old" players unless they come from a better league and justify the investement.

7 hours ago, Machado said:

He will never. Doesn't have the profile and he's 27 now. The big 3 in Portugal don't buy "old" players unless they come from a better league and justify the investement.

I didn't know that mate, so you get a rep for that.

Hurtado will probably end up at a big club in Mexico or Argentina. That would be my bet, which is never a bad thing.

Edit: Do the big 3 clubs raid from smaller Portuguese clubs? I notice they are happier with foreign players. The only example I can think of is Nelson Semedo.

On 12/01/2018 at 02:32, Teso dos Bichos said:

Signing Wendel was great business by sporting. I haven't seen exactly how much sporting paid fluminense but he signed a five year with sporting and has a release clause of €60 milliontmp_6005-DTBAg4yW4AApPBv1161544820.thumb.jpg.9461efc0056bb4c5f7242950771790cf.jpg

His agent had previously said a deal with PSG was very close to being completed. @El_Loco

Indeed, according to reports here in Brazil it was close. PSG probably backed off after his form dipped in the 2nd half of Campeonato Brasileiro. Sporting probably sees as a good opportunity to make some cash. If he´s good, he won´t stay long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Machado said:

Why would anyone want to watch the Portuguese league? Not even the "classics" are worth watching. There's maybe 3 or 4 good games in a whole domestic season.

Plain curiosity, why not?

I've watched lots of leagues with shite teams before. I just love football that much.

8 hours ago, Cannabis said:

True. 

Portuguese football is in a bit of a rut though and I don't know what the answer would be to improve it.

Number one problem is by far the lack of support for local clubs. Comfortably 85% of the country support the same 3 clubs.

The average attendence of two mid table clubs is League Two standard. The lowest attendence in the league this season is a shocking 942 and the highest between two clubs that are not the "big three" is only 20k.

A fair distribution of TV rights would be a start in giving smaller clubs a better chance of competing and at the same time maybe gather more support amongst the new generations.

Problem number two is everything being about Benfica, even moreso if we are in a successful run. It's very loathsome.

I guarantee you, if you ask 10 non-Benfica fans which club they hate the most, 9 will answer Benfica. According to our rivals, when we win any title it's because we've bribed the refs, etc. A similar phenomenon can be found in Spain, specially amongst Real Madrid and Barcelona fans.

Although fans of all of the three clubs are very spoiled and bitter, the other two don't have it as bad against them really. We've got roughly 55% of the country's support, so naturally everyone else will try to put us down. IMHO there's not even a real rivalry between Sporting Lisbon and Porto but the match is still considered a classic only because both are big clubs. Games involving Benfica are far more heated and hate filled.

Problem number three is the standard of living in the country. Not many people can afford to attend games. The "big three" can fill their stadiums a handful of times during a season, but only because they've got massive, massive following. They'd suffer a lot if people started supporting other clubs in mass. There are not enough match going fans.

Problem number four is the mentality of the average football fan and consequently, of the media. Newspapers and TV football "debates" don't dedicate much time to actual football, whilst dissecting everything that happens outside the pitch and during the week.... Who said what, who is the ref for X game, is X job on the line, what did the president of X club say, and every sensationalism you can think of. This is getting worse with time as well.

• Subscriber

https://v.redd.it/imh987bas8h01

Sporting win 2-1 at Tondela with a 98th minute winner despite there only being 4 minutes added on. I'm not sure whether there's some scandal to be had or whether there was a delay due to VAR/an injury. Either way, Sporting's Twitter feed claims the goal came in the 95th minute:

On 16/2/2018 at 00:00, Machado said:

Why would anyone want to watch the Portuguese league? Not even the "classics" are worth watching. There's maybe 3 or 4 good games in a whole domestic season.

Young players

Archived