talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Primeira Liga - Portugal

football forum

12 hours ago, Dalmore said:

Can't wait for the big derby of tomorrow. The winner takes the championship.

I get why people say that, and definitely take your point, but Benfica are still gonna face Sporting away. Very tough battle.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay that was terrible. No guts at all, manager is a coward. We were average in the first half but atrocious in the second. Nothing to say about the result because Porto showed they wanted to win the game, while all we did since the 45th minute was try not to lose it. Our squad is superior, no excuses here.

PSV and PSG champions at home, put in a performance when they had to. Unfortunately we didn't have the mental toughness to do the same.

Little hope of winning the league now. With 4 weeks to go, Porto can draw a game and still become champions. They have 3 "easy" fixtures and one tough away game. We have Sporting away which is almost certainly not a win.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few players are terminating their contracts following the attack by their own fans. 

Wolves had a done deal for Rui Patricio but Sporting's president didn't allow the move to happen in the end which triggered Patricio to rescind his contract with the club. Podence already did the same and William Carvalho likely to follow (linked with Everton now).

To sum it up:

- Bruno de Carvalho (Sporting's president) seemed to know shit was going to go down and was evasive the day before.

- He told the players the ultras wanted Acuna's home address.

- Sporting directors saw the ultras in the airport saying they'd pay them a visit next week.

- The gates weren't closed, and security didn't stop the attack or warn the players.

- Despite the ongoing threats and tensions, there was no change to security plans.

- Geraldes was absent from the facility during training, which is not normal.

- The attack was perfectly timed to catch the players in the dressing room.

- Fernando Mendes (ex Ultras leader) was in the hallway, with no attempt to hide his face, and told Jorge Jesus it was not supposed to be violent, just to scare the players, but things got out of hand.

-  Sporting club directors were at best massively negligent, at worst fully complicit.

Under EU work safety regulations, players can cancel their work contracts. Two already have, some more probably will.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nah... There is a reason only "Correio da Manhã" reported that. They are worse than The Sun. It's fake news, recycled from last year to stir shit up, and have already been debunked long ago.

The link above (abola.pt) is quoting "Correio da Manhã". It says so in the title. They either failed to do their homework or just copied the news knowing it's recycled shit, just for the clicks.

There is nothing here. Amazing what a click bait thread with a fake title posted by a Sporting fan on reddit can do.

• 3 months later...
  • Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Machado said:

Mourinho killed the rumours today, saying he wasn't contacted by Benfica, and doesn't want to manage in Portugal at the moment anyway.

Aye, just saw that.

“I don’t really want to go there”

The ex-Man United boss has claimed he doesn’t fancy a move back home just yet.

He even went as far as claiming ‘I have no intention of working in Portugal’, putting an end to any speculation.

“I have never confirmed, nor denied any offers throughout my career,” he explained to CMTV, as quoted by the Mirror. 

“I never got into this game of news feeding.

“I don’t really want to go there, but the best way to respect a great club [Benfica] and a great president is to say that I was not offered.

“If I were, Benfica would be the first to know my decision. But to help end all the speculation on this subject, I will say that at this moment, today, I have no intention of working in Portugal.

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/jose-mourinho-responds-to-rumours-of-benfica-move/

• 3 months later...

@Machado I'm watching Benfica. What is the deal with the crowd? I've never been to Portugal but my parents have and they said you guys are football mad. Why are there so many empty seats?

47 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Machado I'm watching Benfica. What is the deal with the crowd? I've never been to Portugal but my parents have and they said you guys are football mad. Why are there so many empty seats?

Well if you consider it's Monday night and raining heavily, 52k is not a bad attendance. On the TV it looks more empty than it is because people fled from the seats near the pitch as there's no way to take cover there.

For those not following this league, Benfica and Porto stand joint in the first place with 75 points, with 4 games to go. Benfica will win the league as it stands, as we have advantage in the head to head against Porto.

10 minutes ago, Machado said:

Well if you consider it's Monday night and raining heavily, 52k is not a bad attendance. On the TV it looks more empty than it is because people fled from the seats near the pitch as there's no way to take cover there.

Ah fair enough

Archived