talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Primeira Liga - Portugal

football forum

On 04/08/2020 at 01:52, Machado said:

Cebolinha and Cavani wow, looking like a big transfer window already.

Tbh Cavani still feels like a "cenourada" like a lot of other players already associated to Benfica for next season. I bet is all smoke just to say they are in for big fish. Nonetheless Pedrinho and Everton for the wings, not bad if they confirm the potential they have.

Maybe next season Porto will wake up and be exposed big time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Definitely very talented. Had a dip in form last season and was a bit inconsistent, but nothing too worrisome. Needs to make the next step in his development; hopefully that's exactly what happens at Benfica.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never seen Darwin play a good game but that's only because he was awful at the Sudamericano U20. I've heard he's improved heaps since then and is probably worth that sum. Looking forward to seeing his development at Benfica.

On 01/09/2020 at 10:57, Mpache said:

Take it and run. I would love to have a Peruvian to play at Porto.

Yeah that’s true. And hate is a pretty strong word, I just much prefer Benfica.

Although thinking about it more, it’ll be cool to see an Iranian at a big club so I hope he does well and if he does that means Porto do well. So go on Porto!

Taremi looks like a good signing from what he did at Rio Ave, the thing is he will play for a manager not ambitious at all on the pitch, someone that doesn't like football but thinks he does. 

He might be able to make us better, but I doubt very much he won't stale with us at some point when all we do is kick the ball 50 meters and cross from anywhere if things go south.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Vitor Oliveria has died at 67.

Respected manager in the country who achieved the impressive feature of getting different clubs promoted to the Primeira Liga for 5 seasons in a row, with a career total of 11 promotions, 6 of which as champion.

Guardian article about him from 3 years ago if anyone's interested.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/these-football-times/2017/jun/08/vitor-oliveira-manager-won-promotion-seasons-portugal-portimonense

On 18/11/2020 at 17:03, ScoRoss said:

Benfica's Tiago Pinto joins Roma at General Manager. 

Any inside information on him? Not much to go on with a quick Google search.

I think he did logistic work more than anything, but no one really knows. He always seemed like a leech more than anything else to me.

• 1 month later...
On 28/11/2020 at 19:47, Machado said:

Vitor Oliveria has died at 67.

Respected manager in the country who achieved the impressive feature of getting different clubs promoted to the Primeira Liga for 5 seasons in a row, with a career total of 11 promotions, 6 of which as champion.

Guardian article about him from 3 years ago if anyone's interested.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/these-football-times/2017/jun/08/vitor-oliveira-manager-won-promotion-seasons-portugal-portimonense

I'm several months late to seeing this - but wow, seems like an absolute legend of Portuguese football. Belated RIP to him.

• Subscriber

Lucas Piazon: Chelsea's longest-serving player finally departs Stamford Bridge permanently

Ten years, eight loans, three senior first-team appearances.

When most players leave a club after a decade, the talk is of testimonials. When Lucas Piazon departed Stamford Bridge on Thursday, Chelsea fans could be forgiven for barely noticing.

The 26-year-old Brazilian, remarkably, was the longest-serving player in their current squad, having joined in 2011 and, in theory, at least, worked under eight different managers.

In reality, though, that work usually amounted to a bit of pre-season training followed by the news he was being shipped off elsewhere for the season.

The attacking midfielder's transfer to Braga means that, at 26, he finally has a permanent home, having played in Spain, the Netherlands, Germany, Italy and Portugal while on Chelsea's books, not to mention spells in the Championship with Reading and Fulham.

At that stage, he had a reputation as an exciting youngster and there were signs he could make a significant impact.

Piazon was named the club's Young Player of The Year after helping them to win the FA Youth Cup in May 2012.

And his three senior appearances all came in the 2012-13 season, being brought off the bench by Rafael Benitez in the Premier League to play the final 15 minutes of an 8-0 a drubbing of Aston Villa - where he had a penalty saved - while also featuring in two League Cup games.

However, after that, the seemingly endless run of loans began.

He played for Malaga in Spain before stints at Vitesse in the Netherlands and Eintracht Frankfurt in Germany.

In 2015, Piazon returned to England for loan spells with Reading and Fulham. He had two successive seasons with the latter, with his loan renewed after impressing first time around and helped them earn promotion to the Premier League in 2017-18, before heading off again on his travels for stints with Italian side Chievo and Portuguese side Rio Ave.

For now, though, it looks like his wandering is over. He has signed a deal to play with Braga, who are fourth in Portugal's top flight, until 2025.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55675775

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

@Machado How's Waldschmidt doing so far?

He started very well. Seemed like our best player at some point but it's difficult to tell if that was only a purple patch. It's been a strange season and we're shit now, so it seems like the whole squad is useless, including him. Like I said though, it's been weird, he had the virus at one point like half of our squad did. He was also injured recently. Actually just recovered for today's game.

He did have a very good start, I can tell you that, scoring and assisting for fun.

• 2 months later...
Just now, ScoRoss said:

Sporting CP win their first title since 2001/02.

They're undefeated too, which is a great achievement (if they can take that all the way). Sporting winning is good for Portugal, both because the club have had to bounce back from severe financial issues and because the "Big Three" by definition needs three teams to exist - Benfica and Porto passing the trophy to and fro isn't good for anyone - adding Sporting back into the mix (and hopefully one day Braga) will be good for the league.

• 3 months later...

Great debut from Yaremchuk for Benfica against Arouca in the Portuguese League. In a man of the match performance, Yaremchuk ran down the right flank and dribbled past a defender before crossing for Waldschmidt to score Benfica's opener. Yaremchuk then scored the winning goal for Benfica with a well executed volley to make it 2-0 to Benfica! Yaremchuk was a threat throughout the game and he will seek to find as much success in Portugal this season, as he found playing for Ghent in Belgium.

Yaremchuk and Waldschmidt look like they can form a real good strike partnership this season. They seemed to have a very good understanding against Arouca and they are both proven scorers, so this season does look promising for Benfica.

• 3 months later...

Archived