talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Guardiola Fined £20k For Wearing 'Political Ribbon'

Pep Guardiola: Manchester City manager charged for wearing political ribbon

_100157601_guardiola-main.jpg

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has been charged for breaching the FA's kit and advertising regulations.

The Spaniard's sanction is for "wearing a political message, specifically a yellow ribbon", said the Football Association.

Guardiola said in November he wears the ribbon to support imprisoned politicians in Catalonia, where he was born.

He has until 18:00 GMT on Monday 5 March 2018 to respond to the charge.

The FA had spoken to Guardiola about the issue in mid-December and two formal warnings have been given which were ignored.

The charge was then triggered when he again wore it pitchside - he is free to wear it elsewhere - during City's shock FA Cup loss against Wigan on Monday.

Guardiola had said in November: "If one day in prison was already too much, look how many days they've been there now.

"Like everybody knows, hopefully sooner or later I can stop wearing it (the ribbon).

"All the politicians that are in prison, I hope they can leave and go back home soon with their families and continue living the lives they deserve."

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

disagree that he's been charged, whether he was warned before or not (by that I mean he shouldn't have been warned anyway). 

He has allegiances to Catalonia. What's wrong with that? Not like it's an allegiance to a nazi-esque far-right party is it? 

• The title was changed to Guardiola Charged For By FA Wearing 'Political Ribbon'
  • The title was changed to Guardiola Charged By FA Wearing 'Political Ribbon'

With them having cried about FIFA telling England they they can't wear poppies in an international game it seems weird, but not really surprising, that the FA are going all "no politics, even if it's harmless".

“They [the FA] know I will wear it always. I can wear it somewhere else. UEFA have another opinion. They say you can wear it as long as it’s with respect. Here [in England] it’s different apparently,” he said afterwards.

“I have empathy for the people who have no freedom, those guys in Spain who are in jail. They haven’t been proven guilty. Anyone can be in that situation. Before I am a football manager I am a human being. They don’t have weapons, just the vote, the ballot. It’s not about politicians, it’s about democracy; it’s about helping the people who didn’t do anything.”

“I will accept whatever they [the FA] decide about my behaviour. It’s not a lack of respect, it’s being part of humanity.”

56 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

“They [the FA] know I will wear it always. I can wear it somewhere else. UEFA have another opinion. They say you can wear it as long as it’s with respect. Here [in England] it’s different apparently,” he said afterwards.

“I have empathy for the people who have no freedom, those guys in Spain who are in jail. They haven’t been proven guilty. Anyone can be in that situation. Before I am a football manager I am a human being. They don’t have weapons, just the vote, the ballot. It’s not about politicians, it’s about democracy; it’s about helping the people who didn’t do anything.”

“I will accept whatever they [the FA] decide about my behaviour. It’s not a lack of respect, it’s being part of humanity.”

How do you wear a ribbon without respect?

31 minutes ago, Spike said:

So the bloke whinges about Catalonia and Spain but praises Sheik Mansour and the UAE? Maybe a genius when it comes to football but might be retarded when it comes to politics.

That is a excellent point,  Pep is a hypocrite to complain about the lack of rights in Catalonia and not say anything about human right abuses in the UAE.

5 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

That is a excellent point,  Pep is a hypocrite to complain about the lack of rights in Catalonia and not say anything about human right abuses in the UAE.

There are no lack of rights in Catalonia.  They have the same rights as every Spaniard and the same punishments for breaking the law.

36 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Pep, Man City and Spanish football are part of the problem letting the Arab money into football and defending their policies, But Pep is ok for Spain to break up  with Catalonia.

I have no idea where Spanish football is to blame for Arab money being involved in football in general mate when there are much bigger examples of this outside Spain.  What I think you meant to say is that capitalism has firmly won over control of football in Europe now and league appeal gets you more money from unethical sources.

35 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I have no idea where Spanish football is to blame for Arab money being involved in football in general mate when there are much bigger examples of this outside Spain.  What I think you meant to say is that capitalism has firmly won over control of football in Europe now and league appeal gets you more money from unethical sources.

Well Spain itself is just the big start of it all regarding the Arabs.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Guardiola Fined £20k For Wearing 'Political Ribbon'
2 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

MCFC will just pay it for him 

What difference does it make who pays it mate?

He won't care about a measly £20,000 because that's pocket change for him. Knowing what Guardiola is like, the fact the wearing of that ribbon has been labelled as something you shouldn't do will be hurting him massively.  What Guardiola can't get into his head is that politics don't belong in sport. He's an intelligent guy but on this subject he's pretty thick.

Archived