• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa Libertadores Final to be Played in 1 Leg

football forum

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

A final over two legs is retarded, nice to see South Amerca catching up with Europe.

Its a terrible idea though. South America doesn't have the transportation that Europe does, plus some really small teams have reached the final in the past. If we ever get a final between Boston River and Sportivo Luqueño played in Bogota, the stadium will be empty. Lets not also forget the altitude in some cities.

This is terrible news. It is such a bad idea. South american football doesn´t need to be exactly like european football, actually Copa Libertadores is so charming because in many ways it´s very different from what we see in Europe. 

Unfortunately though, we have to copy north americans and europeans in everything for the sake of modernization. I truly hate it. It won´t take long before Conmebol thinks it´s a good idea to take the final to Miami.

2 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

I understand the reasoning for the Two-Legged Final, with the traveling logistics, but it just can't have the same feeling as a one-off occasion. Especially when the two legs are three weeks apart!

Disagree. Almost every continent is a 2 legged final, and besides its better to win it in front of your own fans then have to travel for some artificial atmosphere

7 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

7 teams from Brazil? Why do they have so many? Seems an unnecessary expansion.

The expansion has actually worked quite well, but I don't like the lack of originality as its basically just copying the UCL for the sake of marketing. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't complain so much.

They should have just given 4 to every nation and maybe 5 to Argentina and Brazil. 7 is a bit overkill. More than half the league qualifies for a continental competition.

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/02/2018 at 19:38, Blue said:

The expansion has actually worked quite well, but I don't like the lack of originality as its basically just copying the UCL for the sake of marketing. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't complain so much.

They should have just given 4 to every nation and maybe 5 to Argentina and Brazil. 7 is a bit overkill. More than half the league qualifies for a continental competition.

If they cut it down to three per nation, and had the previous winners and the Sudamericana, then you would instantly have 32 teams and could avoid all these qualifying rounds and cut down the dates required.

Just seems they are giving in to the big countries and making it almost impossible for a big club to fail and qualify. 

It would also removed a lot of dates required for the qualifying rounds and potentially then could get rid of these staggered matches. Why not just have agreed dates when matches must be played instead of scheduling over all these weeks?

On 24/2/2018 at 08:38, ScoRoss said:

7 teams from Brazil? Why do they have so many? Seems an unnecessary expansion.

It's unfair as fuck, we are the country with the most titles in both Libertadores and Sudamericana yet they give Brazil more slots because they have a bigger population, only because of that. Because bigger population = more potential viewers = more money.

3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Considering England practically owns Argentina there's a good argument that English teams should replace Boca and River Plate from 2019 onwards. 

Don't know why it hasn't been done sooner tbh.

Alright, but considering ray-gun carrying Muslims practically own England there's also a good argument they should takeover and replace your beloved pies with kebabs from this summer onwards.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Alright, but considering ray-gun carrying Muslims practically own England there's also a good argument they should takeover and replace your beloved pies with kebabs from this summer onwards.

ah mate, Cannabis caught a big one there :( 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Blue said:

Are you still bitter about yesterday son? xD

not at all.

you had me good, well played.

Just don't want to ever be like you :D

also 'son'. I'm older than you. it doesn't work xD 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

not at all.

you had me good, well played.

Just don't want to ever be like you :D

also 'son'. I'm older than you. it doesn't work xD 

Haha, fair play.

Having had a two-legged final, IMO, you were getting a more even playing field for both teams, whereas with a one legged final, you’ll inevitably get sides moaning about playing at altitude or below sea level and not having a chance to take that side back to their place.

3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Having had a two-legged final, IMO, you were getting a more even playing field for both teams, whereas with a one legged final, you’ll inevitably get sides moaning about playing at altitude or below sea level and not having a chance to take that side back to their place.

You won't find much of "below sea level" in South America, but altitude is a problem in some cities (particularly in Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia). I agree though, there is also some cities with some really bad heat like Barranquilla or Caracas. 

If it was one legged, you could really only play the final in the following cities: Santiago, Lima, Medellin, Buenos Aires, Rosario, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Belo Horizonte, Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Porto Alegre without some sort of issue regarding heat or altitude, that or the stadiums just fall to pieces.

Besides, who would want to go to Venezuela in their current situation for a final?

EDIT: We'll see how many people turn up in Kyiv this season. Maybe that'll answer my question.

Archived