talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bundesliga 2017/18 - Matchday 24 - 23-26th February, 2018

football forum

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the last couple of weeks I have seen Schurrle hit a few very dangerous back passes,   it did  not directly cause the Augsburg goal, but not sure why he keeps doing that?

So the "I dont like Mondays" boycott seems to be working, the stadium sounds quiet

Just now, binder said:

So the "I dont like Mondays" boycott seems to be working, the stadium sounds quiet

Only 54.000 in the stadium today. 

Loved the banners in Frankfurt last week:

imago32610927h.jpg?itok=26JTwF1D

Especially this:

DWdW0BrX4AALYnM.jpg

xD

Have to say, not impressed with BVB this year.  I get it that the Bundesliga has been losing players and not even all good players, losing average players to teams like Huddersfeld or Brighton or even clubs in Brazil, but still, they should be playing better.  Sad to say and i know everyone will scream, but in order to survive, the Bundesliga need to scrap the 50+1 rule, losing too many good players.

The desire to keep playing men whose career has been impressive but which has now taken a turn downwards is killing some teams.  Di Santo was never brilliant anywhere, but to keep selecting him in the starting line up is like sending 04 out with 10 men.  last night BVB again proved this by keeping Schurrle on the pitch.  Leverkusen brought on a guy  I loved as a front line target man, but Steffan has gone!  there are examples everywhere - more so with young managers who seem frightened to clear out their trash!  It is becoming more and more a young man's game (it always was really) but the PL is the worst as no kids are being given chances to play regularly and last night's BVB bench was full of players - younger and better than one or two on the field.Don't understand this recent post:

Borussia Dortmund may have endured a disappointing start to 2018, but in Shinji Kagawa there is a silver lining to be found.

BVB made it three games without a win this year in their 2-2 draw with Freiburg on Saturday, but Japan international Kagawa stood out with another eye-catching performance under new coach Peter Stöger.

So was he unfit last night - nothing in the Press to say why he was not even on the bench and to play Schurrle in front of him is crazy! Who was feeding Batsu?

Maybe I'm getting too old for this, but it sometimes leaves me wondering what the heck is going on!  Maybe I should stop liking the younger players and concentrate on the relics!

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, binder said:

Have to say, not impressed with BVB this year.  I get it that the Bundesliga has been losing players and not even all good players, losing average players to teams like Huddersfeld or Brighton or even clubs in Brazil, but still, they should be playing better.  Sad to say and i know everyone will scream, but in order to survive, the Bundesliga need to scrap the 50+1 rule, losing too many good players.

15 hours ago, binder said:

Nobody likes it, just like Monday night football or teams being sponsored by Vodka mixers, but it is the way of the global football world now.

I do understand the reasoning behind it, but I still don't think that scrapping the 50+1 rule and completely going down the path of global football is the right solution to the problem. My main reasoning? Well, the mad way that global football is run is not sustainable, it's all going to implode one day - and rather sooner than later. It's like an economic bubble; when the asset’s price is driven at an unchecked rate to a value that well exceeds its actual true valuation, it's only a question of time when it bursts suddenly, in case of football, once the next financial crash happens and revenue streams begin to dry up. 

I cannot see the revenue drying up until football fans stop buy access to Sky, BeIn or other such sites.  That revenue will continue to be distributed to the top teams - the lower leagues would be the first to suffer in case of a drop in total revenue, but the big boys will survive as fans will always find the money for watching games on TV - Fridays, Saturdays or Mondays - makes no difference.  This Wednesday Man City will be almost full and a few Basel fans will be able to afford the trip - the rest will be in Switzerland and - whatever the result -  enjoy the game! No one exits who - politically or  financially - dares to stop TV and footy being combined!

• Subscriber

Subscriptions and viewership figures in general have been steadily declining for quite a while now, and not only when it comes to football. There are obvious changes in how people want to consume entertainment, the era of pay-television is ending and it is definitely going to impact the sports industry heavily. To add to that, more and more fans are losing interest in football in general, while young people are less interested in sports overall.

The UK arm of Sky reported a drop in subscription numbers over the last year and BT also reported a fall - although in their case only 2%.  the increase in money being offered to the Premier League is due to a large increase in demand from foreign TV station wanting the rights to show PL games - a similar increase for Sky de due to Clubs like Bayern BVB and Schalke increasing their participation in the Chinese market and developing fan bases bigger that they have in Germany - all of whom want to watch live BL games. More BL clubs will be visiting the US this year so more chances to sell the game there at a higher level than at the moment.  Korean and Japanese players in BL teams are in demand in their own countries and more TV rights will be sold so there seem little chance of revenue drying up just yet.  When the numbers get high enough the chance of a Monday night game will not increase, but I await the day when Bremen and Hamburg kick off at 6am so that it fits with evening viewing in Tokyo or Adelaide!  The response from the locals will be even more interesting when that happens.  I find it difficult travelling from the UK for an 8.45 kick off and a return home locally in the Ruhr by 1am which has been the case for the two recent Pokal games. But we do it and the authorities will carry on regardless because, as you know, the Voice in The Wilderness was not even heard 2 millenia ago!

Methinks this seems like a good basis for a thesis for some of the present Media Studies students - whatever that means!^_^

6 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

The 50+1 rule is what makes German football great. It wouldn't be German football without it. 

I agree and if it means that the Bundesliga is not as competitive I'd definitely hazard the consequences.

Looking at teams as Hoffenheim and Leipzig though I must say that it seems the rule is already no longer used.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived