talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Scott McTominay to play for Scotland?

Alex McLeish plans to hold talks with Scott McTominay over the possibility of the player representing Scotland, according to Sky sources.

McTominay is yet to speak with McLeish, but the Scotland boss plans to make contact with the Manchester United midfielder before next month's friendlies against Costa Rica and Hungary.

In November, McTominay was invited by interim manager Malky Mackay to join the squad for their friendly against the Netherlands, but he opted to remain with United to focus on establishing himself in the first team.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly couldn't care less.

Nothing to suggest he's any better than the likes of McGinn, Mallan, or MacGregor, or even Docherty or Cadden for that matter. 

He's 21 years old and barely fucking played, and still wouldn't have a game if he wasn't the height of nonsense and Mourinho wasn't trying to make a point to his board. No reason to think he'd be of any use to us so he's definitely not going to reach even the level of mediocrity required to get anywhere near the England team. At least he's given himself a chance of a few caps. 

8 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Sick of hearing about him already to be honest - strange decision to play for Scotland too as it pretty much guarantees not going to a major tournament. 

The bigger guarantee is the fact that he has zero footballing ability. 

The insinuation that Scotland fans should care that some English nobody has decided to grace us with his presence is insulting. 

10 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

His parents aren't even Scottish xD 

Both grandparents/sets of grandparents or something?

I get it, especially when you're younger as well if you come from a mixed family. I'd always want to play for England personally but I also grew up pretending to be Steve Staunton/Ireland in World Cup knock out at the park, supporting Ireland with grandparents etc as well as the rest of my family.

Its like Ben Woodburn choosing Wales through his grandparents, of anything it just brings the person closer to an identity that they're generally now allowed to hold by most people..i.e. plastic paddy, I'm sure they get a few eyebrows raised in the past when seen wearing Scotland or Wales tops.

Considering there’s only going to be one central midfield position vacant for pretty much the next ten years, McTominay’s already fighting a losing battle there, whereas for Scotland, he could be one of the first names on the teamsheet and play/be involved in most games going forward. 

Considering he’s not had any call-up’s from what is currently a successful England youth set-up, I’d be probably be inclined to pick Scotland if I hadn’t been looked at for youth internationals by England. 

Seemingly not the last person being 'persued' by the SFA. 

Birmingham City midfielder Che Adams, Leicester City midfielder Harvey Barnes, and Southampton striker Sam Gallagher have also been mentioned as players with eligibility for Scotland.

I haven't seen a single moment of these players, so I can't really judge their standard.

21 hours ago, Inverted said:

Honestly couldn't care less.

Nothing to suggest he's any better than the likes of McGinn, Mallan, or MacGregor, or even Docherty or Cadden for that matter. 

He's 21 years old and barely fucking played, and still wouldn't have a game if he wasn't the height of nonsense and Mourinho wasn't trying to make a point to his board. No reason to think he'd be of any use to us so he's definitely not going to reach even the level of mediocrity required to get anywhere near the England team. At least he's given himself a chance of a few caps. 

To be fair to him he is one of the better players for his age group in the United academy. I imagine he will go on to have a long career in the top half of the EPL, and the same can't be said for the other names you've mentioned.

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

To be fair to him he is one of the better players for his age group in the United academy. I imagine he will go on to have a long career in the top half of the EPL, and the same can't be said for the other names you've mentioned.

I mean maybe he will turn out to be a good player, but how many teenagers are touted as potentially top-level and end up just being decent lower-prem, upper championship material? 

I had never even heard of Scott McTominay last year. 

• Subscriber
On 3/3/2018 at 01:17, The Palace Fan said:

Gareth Southgates met him in person now. May be a good idea given we've let Wilfried Zaha and David Brooks recently slip away. 

On 3/4/2018 at 17:02, ScoRoss said:

He's decided he likes having summer holidays.

One day apart xD xD xD

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Seemingly not the last person being 'persued' by the SFA. 

Birmingham City midfielder Che Adams, Leicester City midfielder Harvey Barnes, and Southampton striker Sam Gallagher have also been mentioned as players with eligibility for Scotland.

I haven't seen a single moment of these players, so I can't really judge their standard.

Barnes seems to score a lot of goals although didn't particularly impress in his first team action, granted it was very limited.

Archived