Thursday 1st March, 2018
Real Betis vs Real Sociedad, 18.30
Las Palmas vs Barcelona, 20.00
Alaves vs Levante, 20.30

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Make that four and Griezmann scores his 7th goal in 4 days xD.

Funnily enough, he had only scored around that amount all season prior to that game xD.

Diego Costa is a massive presence though and attacking players thrive off playing alongside him just as Falcao did himself while at Atletico. It's no coincidence for me that Griezmann's form has improved tend fold since Costa has been back in the side.

• Administrator

MESSI. The goat does it again from a free-kick!

This time power and precision, top corner, straight in as opposed to the one under the wall last time. 1-0 Barca!

Dodgy result although traditionally it's hard to win in Las Palmas. Still, there's no excuse on this one because there should've been a win. The second half the Barcelona team came out with a dead beat character because they were winning 0-1 and when Las Palmas went for it and equalised, Barça found it hard to change their mentality with a more confident Las Palmas team.

It's true that Luis Suárez' game was conditioned by the possible yellow card he could receive and miss the Atlético Madrid game at home this weekend and also the team missed Jordi Alba who is fundamental to how they attack... Digne is just not good enough and nowhere near Alba's quality.  Also add to that the fact that Paulinho before he went off was absolutely invisible during the time he was on.  There was only Messi out there in an attacking sense today and only Coutinho added something extra when he came on.

Atlético Madrid are now only 5 points behind and if they were to win at the Camp Nou it would be 2 points and it's league on!

Paulinho has proven to be a good super sub and player who suits certain games, but he's largely crap when he starts and he completely slows the team down. He started out the season well but appears to be getting gradually worse for me.

Digne is terrible also and I don't see why you'd sell Grimaldo and buy him, in fact Cucurella deserves a crack of the whip.

When everyone is fit I'd play Sergi Roberto in midfield with Semedo at right back. It works better. Ter Stegen, Semedo, Pique, Umtiti, Alba, Busquets, Rakitic, Iniesta, Sergi Roberto, Messi, Suarez would be my line up against Chelsea, barring Semedo makes it of course.

1 minute ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Paulinho has proven to be a good super sub and player who suits certain games, but he's largely crap when he starts and he completely slows the team down. He started out the season well but appears to be getting gradually worse for me.

Digne is terrible also and I don't see why you'd sell Grimaldo and buy him, in fact Cucurella deserves a crack of the whip.

When everyone is fit I'd play Sergi Roberto in midfield with Semedo at right back. It works better. Ter Stegen, Semedo, Pique, Umtiti, Alba, Busquets, Rakitic, Iniesta, Sergi Roberto, Messi, Suarez would be my line up against Chelsea, barring Semedo makes it of course.

Still, there's no excuse though mate considering Las Palmas' record in conceding goals this season which has been even more acute as a problem since Paco Jémez took over.  Something went wrong there and that's an issue I would expect Valverde to really be thinking hard about for the upcoming games.  These things can sometimes stagnate sides and all of a sudden a mysterious symptom creates a run of bad form.

• Administrator

that 2nd half was so underwhelming. Should never have given Las Palmas a chance to get back in to the game. Defence looked a bit shaky and nervous for some bizarre reason. 

The team are already on a bad run mate. The only top performance lately has been against Girona. 4 of the last 5 performances have been terrible, 3 of them ending in draws, the worst of which being the 0-0 against Getafe.

The next 5 game will be ridiculously tough.

Atletico(home)

Malaga(away)

Chelsea(home)

Athletic Bilbao(home)

Sevilla(away)

There is also Valencia at home and Celta away after that.

4 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

The team are already on a bad run mate. The only top performance lately has been against Girona. 4 of the last 5 performances have been terrible, 3 of them ending in draws, the worst of which being the 0-0 against Getafe.

The next 5 game will be ridiculously tough.

Atletico(home)

Malaga(away)

Chelsea(home)

Athletic Bilbao(home)

Sevilla(away)

There is also Valencia at home and Celta away after that.

True, although I won't count the Getafe game as ridiculous as that my sound because they've been exactly what they were the other day almost the whole season, difficult to break down and Real Madrid have them next I think and the media are already saying they expect a very difficult game for the home side.

As for everything else, I agree and it's a massive test both for the team and Valverde to find answers.

Last nigth's referee in the Las Palmas v Barcelona encounter, Mateu Lahoz has been suspended by the refereeing committee for 3 apparent serious errors committed in the game (one of them being the penalty awarded to Las Palmas).

To be honest, I thought the penalty decision was extremely harsh but I've seen those types of errors committed plenty of times everywhere and didn't expect this.

• Administrator

I thought the penalty was for the pull on the player by Sergi Roberto (where the header was flicked on). The Las Palmas player looked to be dragged down. I don't know what the commentators were on about where they thought Digne hand-balled it at the back post.

Extremely harsh to suspend the ref! I've seen far worse referee performances go unpunished.

Is this common in Spain?

• The topic was unpinned
2 hours ago, Stan said:

I thought the penalty was for the pull on the player by Sergi Roberto (where the header was flicked on). The Las Palmas player looked to be dragged down. I don't know what the commentators were on about where they thought Digne hand-balled it at the back post.

Extremely harsh to suspend the ref! I've seen far worse referee performances go unpunished.

Is this common in Spain?

The referee's report says he gave the penalty for handball by Digne but it's been verified there was nothing of the sort.  Plus there seems to have been two other major errors which the RFEF haven't released just as yet due to the referee's report not being fully published.  In Spain everything goes by what the referee writes in his game report which is then given to both clubs and to the RFEF and the LFP.

Archived