talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Weather

football forum

• Administrator

Met the team I work with in real life today. Feels weird saying that but it's been virtual for the last 3 months!

Went to the river in town and sat by there with a drink. Lovely day. 

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

Not in the UK, where you get about 2 weeks a year of weather hot enough to demand it.

Fair enough.

Was the same in Russia, but wasn't aware it was the same in the UK.

Sounds miserable mate...

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

The hot weather just needs to fuck off for a day or two. I need to get some sleep.

Meant to be raining tomorrow and windy Sunday so you may get your wish.

It's shit having to work inside from home in this heat. Disgusting conditions xD 

• Subscriber

It's been all rain, thunder & lightening the last 2 days but muggy as fuck, today is a mixture of sun, cloud and drizzly rain on & off but still muggy.

We have the flat window open and there is a wee midge flying around and it's annoying the shite out of me, every time I try and swipe it, it just pisses off somewhere else then comes back again like a bloody German Stuka dive-bombing me, nearly knocked my coffee over trying to kill the bastard!!!!

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.f0e52f902c2f3d6aab5819c38465ed38.png

GettyImages-200451467-001-3-aaba755.jpg?

June 2020 was joint-second hottest on record as global temperatures soar

Temperatures in Arctic Siberia were also exceptionally warm, experts said, and the number of fires in the Arctic Circle hit a record high.

Arctic Siberia saw exceptionally high temperatures as global warmth matched last year’s record levels for June, experts have said.

Average temperatures in Arctic Siberia were as high as 10°C above normal for June, according to the Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S) from the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecast (ECMWF).

A month of intense fires in the Arctic Circle has also been recorded by the Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service, surpassing the record levels of fires seen in the region in June 2019

Globally, last month was on a par with 2019 for the hottest June on record, with temperatures 0.53°C above the 1981 to 2010 average, and Europe saw its joint second warmest June on record.

Temperatures in Arctic Siberia were exceptionally warm, C3S experts said.

Temperatures in Arctic Siberia were exceptionally warm, C3S experts said © C3S/ECMWF

Average temperatures were as high as 10°C above normal for the month in some places, while across all land in the region, temperatures averaged more than 5°C higher than usual and more than 1°C above 2018 and 2019 – the two previous warmest Junes.

Regional variation saw western Siberia experience mainly below-average temperatures in June, despite having a long period of warmer than usual temperatures stretching back to December.

In eastern Siberia, C3S, which uses satellite observations, estimated a maximum hourly Arctic temperature of 37°C on 20 June, in the area where a recording station reported a record temperature of 38°C on the same day – although that has not yet been confirmed.

Director of the C3S at ECMWF, Carlo Buontempo, said: “Finding what caused these record temperatures is not a straightforward endeavour as there are many contributing factors interacting with each other.

“Siberia and the Arctic Circle, in general, have large fluctuations from year to year and have experienced other relatively warm Junes before.”

“What is worrisome is that the Arctic is warming faster than the rest of the world,” said Buontempo.

“Western Siberia experiencing warmer-than-average temperatures so long during the winter and spring is unusual, and the exceptionally high temperatures in Arctic Siberia that have occurred now in June 2020 are equally a cause for concern.”

The higher temperatures and dry soils have contributed to increased fire activity, mostly in the far north-east of Siberia.

Scientists from the Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service, also implemented by ECMWF, said the number and intensity of wildfires in parts of north-eastern Russia, and to a lesser degree in Alaska and Canada’s Yukon Territory, had been increasing since the second week in June.

The burning fires had resulted in the highest estimated emissions in 18 years of monitoring, with an estimated 59 million tonnes of carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere in June, more than last June’s total of 53 million tonnes.

tempsJune2_0-d55eefd.jpg?webp=true&quali

Experts at the Met Office said the high temperatures in northern Eurasia were due to a combination of climate change and extreme climate variability.

A climate phenomenon known as the Indian Ocean dipole, with different sea surface temperatures in different parts of the ocean, saw record extremes in the autumn, helping create the conditions to push up temperatures in the region in winter and into spring.

Climate change is also melting the sea ice, creating areas where heat from the Sun is absorbed by the dark ocean water rather than being reflected by ice and snow, amplifying the warmth in the Arctic.

Science Focus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Warm as fuck all day, I hate the heat and it's hit 24c here and I was sweating my bollocks off and the wife had the cheek to say a wee while ago "It's getting a bit chilly now...", give me snow any day and they reckon there is a bit of rain, thunder & lightening later, I will have some of that.

download.thumb.png.a20cbd8f9b03bab09f139aa140e01d4e.png

4 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Hotter than the devils nutsack right now.

1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

Warm as fuck all day, I hate the heat and it's hit 24c here and I was sweating my bollocks off and the wife had the cheek to say a wee while ago "It's getting a bit chilly now...", give me snow any day and they reckon there is a bit of rain, thunder & lightening later, I will have some of that.

download.thumb.png.a20cbd8f9b03bab09f139aa140e01d4e.png

At first I laughed at you guys complaining of the heat, when it's 24 there...since it's a blistering and muggy 34 here today. 

But then I remembered that you all don't have AC units in your house like we do here, so I'm fucking sorry, as that would be 100% miserable. 

Just now, Mpache said:

Get a fan. We don't have AC units in Lima either when it can go over 30 sometimes. It's tough but I often just opt for a fan and my problems are solved.

Wouldn't work for me. I lived in China where it got into the 30's and I'd be dying. I also run hot so I always keep my house cold. 

My Dad even has a photo of him walking the streets in Siberia with shorts and long sleeved shirt. whereas everyone else on the street is bundled up under layers of clothes. 

Everyone is different, and I can't stand the heat if I don't have AC...