The Weather

football forum

• Subscriber

And I thought we were bad with heat, rain, thunder and lightning :o

843102128_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.6e9e79ee07a17ac1beeee19531f29a8a.png

Freak hail storm strikes Mexican city of Guadalajara

afp.com

AADF682.img?h=525&w=768&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© ULISES RUIZ A freak heavy hail storm damaged buildings and buried cars and trucks in the area around Guadalajara, Mexico

A freak hail storm on Sunday struck Guadalajara, one of Mexico's most populous cities, shocking residents and trapping vehicles in a deluge of ice pellets up to two meters (yards) deep.

"I've never seen such scenes in Guadalajara," said the state governor, Enrique Alfaro.

AADG0Ye.img?h=477&w=768&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© ULISES RUIZ The hail deluge in Guadalajara trapped vehicles of all kinds

"Then we ask ourselves if climate change is real. These are never-before-seen natural phenomenons," he said. "It's incredible."

Guadalajara, located north of Mexico City and with a population of around five million, has been experiencing summer temperature of around 31 Centigrade (88 Fahrenheit) in recent days.

While seasonal hail storms do occur, there is no record of anything so heavy.

AADFoio.img?h=512&w=768&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© ULISES RUIZ Not Siberia -- Guadalajara, Mexico in the summer after the powerful hail storm

At least six neighbourhoods in the city outskirts woke up to ice pellets up to two meters deep.

While children scampered around and hurled iceballs at each other, Civil Protection personnel and soldiers brought out the heavy machinery to clear the roads.

Nearly 200 homes and businesses reported hail damage, and at least 50 vehicles were swept away by the deluge of ice in hilly areas, some buried under piles of pellets.

While no casualties were reported, two people showed "early signs of hypothermia," the state Civil Protection office said.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/freak-hail-storm-strikes-mexican-city-of-guadalajara/ar-AADFoit

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.963fa486ae5e54d61bf2944535caa3a8.png

June Was The Hottest Month Ever Recorded On Earth

Rebecca Shepherd in NEWS

There's no denying it, June was blazing but would you believe that it actually became the hottest month ever recorded on Earth, according to the European Satellite Agency?

This means that across the entire globe, temperatures have never been as high ever before following a record-breaking heatwave across Western Europe.

This might not be all that surprising given that parts of the UK were blasted with temperatures of up to 35C on one of the last days of June.

Warnings were issued regarding barbecues, fires started all thanks to the ball of fire in the sky and if you were at Glastonbury, well, we just hope you packed your sun cream along with the wet wipes.

Let's not forget that last June was up there with the best/worst (depending on how you look at it) weather as a mini-heatwave hit the sixth month of the year which was set to be the hottest for the UK in 42 years.

The Independent spoke to Professor Hannah Cloke, natural hazards researcher at the University of Reading, who said: "We knew June was hot in Europe, but this study shows that that temperature records haven't just been broken. They have been obliterated.

"This is the hottest June on record in Europe by a country mile, and the warmest June we have ever seen globally.

"Heatwaves occur in any climate, but we know that heatwaves are becoming much more likely due to climate change. The global climate just keeps getting hotter, as greenhouse gases continue to build up, as scientists have predicted for decades."

You might want to wait before packing away the shorts and shoving the fan back on top of the wardrobe because it's expected that Britain is set for the hottest July on record as well after odds were slashed.

We all know that when bookmakers slash their odds, there might be something in it. So, with bets that July being the hottest on record going to 6-4 from 2-1 things are looking... well, probably.

As well as bets for July, the bookies also make it 1-2 that this summer will be the hottest ever (we've already got June in the bag) and it's 4-5 for there to be a hosepipe ban.

Speaking to the Metro, Coral spokesman John Hill said: "The mini heatwave over the last couple of days has prompted a flurry of bets on next month being the hottest July on record as many punters feel as though the hot weather is going to continue."

Let's not even think about what this means for hay fever sufferers...

https://www.ladbible.com/news/news-june-was-the-hottest-month-ever-recorded-on-earth-20190702?c=1562080978058

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.dffc707de9eacd6c4ca4f4e29b8258f0.png

A giant heat dome over Alaska is set to threaten all-time temperature records

Ian Livingston

AADO5JV.img?h=635&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Upper-level high pressure is maxed out and anchored over southern Alaska Friday evening per model simulations. (TropicalTidbits.com)

All-time heat records are at risk in Alaska in coming days as a massive and abnormally intense area of high-pressure locks in and strengthens over the region.

This heat dome is expected to produce temperatures near and above the highest values ever recorded for multiple days, particularly in southern parts of the state. It’s the latest in a slew of record-shattering heat events in Alaska.

Anchorage is predicted to test or best its highest-temperature ever recorded of 85 degrees (set in 1969) on five straight days between July 4 and 8. It could even flirt with 90 degrees.

The National Weather Service in Anchorage wrote that most of southern Alaska will be “downright hot with many locations in the 80s and even low 90s.”

Anchorage’s nighttime lows may settle only in the mid-60s during this hot stretch, which is close to its average high at this time of year.

“This 7-day forecast contains the warmest 1-day, warmest 2-day, warmest 3-day, warmest 4-day, warmest 5-day, warmest 6-day, and warmest 7-day period on record for Anchorage,” tweeted Alaska climatologist Brian Brettschneider.

AADOfyT.img?h=632&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Late-day temperatures compared to normal over the next week in Alaska per the American GFS model. (TropicalTidbits.com)

This heat wave is the latest in a nonstop barrage of warm weather for the northernmost state. It comes right on the heels of a June that was well above average and filled with wildfires that are persisting and/or growing into July. Spring was disturbingly warm before that, and so was winter.

It also follows a historic heat wave in Europe, which shattered records.

Alaska’s temperatures have shifted abruptly higher in the past few years, and it’s a similar story across the Arctic more broadly because of climate change.

Sea ice surrounding the state is at record-low levels. The open water and lack of ice have elevated ocean temperatures more than 4.5 degrees (2.5 Celsius) above normal.

The combination of the unusually warm coastal waters, the intense dome of high pressure over land, and near peak energy from the sun (just 10 days removed from the summer solstice) will act to maximize the potential for historically high temperatures.

AADObcz.img?h=514&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Forecasts for upper-level high pressure over Alaska are at maximum for climatology later in the week. (Tomer Burg)

Even before the development of this latest heat dome, strong high pressure has frequently sprawled over Alaska in recent weeks, leading to unusually high temperatures.

Alaska climatologist Rick Thoman tweeted that Anchorage, Kotzebue, Talkeetna and Yakutat all posted their warmest June on record, while Nome, King Salmon and McGrath logged their second-warmest June.

Record-breaking temperatures to close June helped the monthly averages soar this high. As one example, it hit 92 in Northway, near the eastern border with Canada on June’s final day.

In southeast Alaska, where moderate to extreme drought has persisted for about a year, Juneau tied its third warmest day on record on June 28. The city also just completed its warmest five-day stretch on record (since 1936), according to Brettschneider.

While this blast of heat will eventually ease next week, the forecast calls for more warmer-than-normal conditions later into July and August.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/environment/a-giant-heat-dome-over-alaska-is-set-to-threaten-all-time-temperature-records/ar-AADR8NU?ocid=chromentp

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Horrible weather here with me and my asthma don't help, bloody humid as fuck, rain showers sometimes heavy with thunder and lightning then goes warm again, then neighbours decide to cut their lawns and hedges and that's me sneezing like a beauty and the headaches. 

1894127124_download(1).png.889750270c101c2b20a9842792885088.png

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Stan said:

Looks like us UK lot will melt on Thursday then.

We are melting up here today buddy, it's roasting and I am sneezing like a beauty as the Sun has bought our neighbours out to do some gardening, mow the lawn and cut the hedges, on comes my asthma and hay-fever.

109441861_download(5).png.3e1d2129e288f92d840eb7f7a352e744.png

8288087_download(1).png.9eae389bebc487ee2aa9f7c16750f4af.png

• Subscriber

Can't sleep, lying on the bed with just my briefs on and still sweating like a pig and had to get up and have a shower but that's just woke me up more, it's cooled down a wee bit and the Met boys reckon there is some heavy rain on the way with some thunder and lightning, that will do me but not the wife, she hates thunder & lightning.

I can remember growing up in Australia in the summertime and they had a heatwave, sometimes 2 weeks on the trot with temp around 35/40 it was bloody horrible but you could always tell when a cool change was on the way, you could feel a cool gentle breeze then it would piss down solid for about 3 hours or more and people like me who hated the heat would just stand outside and let the rain soak you to the skin like a beauty.

1866254184_download(2).png.ee8b14fda44ba709ae0321813f40d888.png

1051899408_download(1).thumb.png.2b3b237f3d16c58ea670918c142f56f4.png

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

I love thunderstorms but not when they wake me up in the middle of the night.

I managed to get back to sleep and yes...thunder woke me up and the wife and the lighting lit up the bedroom window, the thunder must have been right above our roof but I loved it as it cooled the room down and it was lashing down outside.

Quote.thumb.png.4f337c34e1a6e841b97e2fb49bb22dab.png

Thunderstorms batter Britain as African plume heatwave bites with torrential downpours bringing flood warnings before it gets even HOTTER later today (but relief is on the way by Friday)

AAEMis4.img?h=549&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© Provided by Associated Newspapers Limited Various beams of lightning was seen striking down on Plymouth overnight as the Met Office puts in place a yellow weather warning

The UK has been battered by a series of thunderstorms which swept the country overnight as many continued to struggle with the heat. 

The Met Office has now also put a yellow warning in place for the whole of the UK, as thunderstorms move north, with the potential to cause power cuts and travel delays as the African plume heatwave continues to bite the UK, with torrential downpours on the way.

MORE