talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Role model Reus has earned more respect than Messi & Ronaldo - Sammer

football forum

https://www.goal.com/en/news/role-model-reus-gets-more-respect-than-messi-ronaldo-sammer/ycxzt1ybfv7q1tf82g0j0vptg

Role model Reus has earned more respect than Messi & Ronaldo - Sammer

The Borussia Dortmund star's determination to overcome repeated injury problems in his career serves as "lessons for life", says the ex-BVB coach

noticia-marco-reus.jpg

Marco Reus' persistence and patience during his injury nightmares commands more respect than the "God-given" abilities of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, according to former Borussia Dortmund coach Matthias Sammer.

Reus has had to endure torrid luck with injuries over the last few years, with the German particularly struggling last season and during the current campaign.

After missing the first half of last season with a pelvic problem, he then went on to rupture a knee ligament in May, keeping him out until early February.
He made his return on February 10 in the 2-0 defeat of Hamburg and has played four times in all competitions ahead of Monday's visit of Augsburg, with Dortmund looking to claim a fourth successive Bundesliga win.

And Sammer believes Reus' battling makes him a "role model".

"I'm absolutely convinced by Marco and I have much more respect for him due to the situations that he has lived through," Sammer told Kicker.

"If you take Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo now, who have had few injuries and played football for a decade at almost God-given levels, that is certainly wonderful and has my respect.

"But I think those situations that Marco went through are lessons for life. He is a true role model for many. Not giving up, continuing, surviving difficult phases, stabilising to continue living, showing motivation for the profession – that is Marco Reus."

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived