talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace Discussion

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Talk of Parish renaming Selhurst Park. Jesus Christ. Just when I felt like I couldn't feel any more alienated.

Benteke Arena has a ring to it. 

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Hindsight I know but he should never have left Villa. 

I'd argue he joined the perfect side at the time to play to his strengths. That was reflected in his 16 league goals last season. Unfortunately football has evolved where Strikers are expected to play up top by themselves and cover a lot of ground. He was lazy beyond belief and now (due to the criticism) he's trying to a point where he's never in the correct position to utilise his aerial ability efficiently in the opposing penalty area. 

Thankfully with price increases we should be able to flog him to China for the price we got him for.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:29, The Palace Fan said:

I'd argue he joined the perfect side at the time to play to his strengths. That was reflected in his 16 league goals last season. Unfortunately football has evolved where Strikers are expected to play up top by themselves and cover a lot of ground. He was lazy beyond belief and now (due to the criticism) he's trying to a point where he's never in the correct position to utilise his aerial ability efficiently in the opposing penalty area. 

Thankfully with price increases we should be able to flog him to China for the price we got him for.

His movement is just very poor for a striker at the top level. He is lazy and he doesn't make runs, or doesn't make too many useful runs that either get him open in the box or have a defender tracking him and opening up space for someone else. And to make matters worse, he's definitely a confidence player - where when he's in form he'll look pretty great, but when he's out of form you can expect things like missing simple tap ins routinely or just silly unforced errors.

He's just not well rounded enough to be asked to play as a more mobile target man, he's just not got the right work ethic and/or football intelligence. He needs to be leading the line as a simple, old-school target man who's not asked or expected to move around too much. And when he's in form, he's above average at that. But he's not a top striker because of his obvious limitations and the fact that he needs to be in a more limited system to succeed.

It is hindsight... but yeah, he should have stayed at Villa. They needed his goals to stay up and their attack was focused around him and making him successful - without him they looked like total dogshit. And he never fit in with us at all... it was actually a very strange signing for a Rodgers side, as the good season we had under Rodgers involved our strikers providing constant dangerous movement. Benteke offered a much more static attack from us. And looking at how Klopp has us play and how he likes hard working strikers that move around a shitload and aren't shy to drop deep or wide to let our wingers run play off the last defender... it's no surprise he didn't have much time for Benteke.

And I think you're right about his struggles this season, compared to his form last season, where if you ask him to do too much... you'll see these kind of performances from him. But if you change the system too much to fit the more old school approach that he's proven he can succeed in... you run the risk of just getting left behind with your old tactics as modern football progresses.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/04/2018 at 15:33, Teso dos Bichos said:

I know I asked you this a few months ago but now with the season close to being wrapped up, what rating would you give Timmy this season (out of ten) and would u like to have him back next season mate?(TPF)

To be honest he's been injured for the majority for the second half of the season. I don't think we will take him back as Aaron Bisakka has emerged as competition for Joel Ward.

His next move will be interesting. I think playing overseas at a side expecting to win most weeks in a less competitive league may be more beneficial for him than being a rotation player in one of the bottom 12 clubs.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Good start to pre-season for Palace - A 1-1- draw against Luzern in Switzerland with a very early Benteke goal as a result of a superb move and pass for the guy in the picture on the left - great start to his second Palace season.  A point for the Draw and an extra point for a 7-6 penalty shoot-out win.  Now to Saturday and Young Boys in the second game of this competition - BEIN coverage good!  Keeping an eye on my young friend again this season!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.ac53f4c9ea0d5d0dab17781bdf610c2c.png

Wilfried Zaha: Crystal Palace forward says head was 'all over the place'

Crystal Palace forward Wilfried Zaha says his head "was all over the place" because of transfer speculation at the beginning of the season.

Arsenal and Everton had bids rejected by Palace, who valued the 26-year-old at around £80m, although Eagles boss Roy Hodgson said Zaha wanted to leave.

The Ivorian has since played in all of his club's Premier League matches in 2019-20, with Palace in sixth place.

"I had to put my head down and play my football," Zaha told BBC Africa.

"I would have been hindering my own progress by moaning and not wanting to perform properly.

"I have too much respect for my manager, the fans and my team-mates to treat them that way. It was a thing where 'OK, this hasn't happened but I've got to get on with it'.

"I've got to prove every time that I'm the top player I claim to be so I had to get over that quickly. Obviously my head was a bit all over the place at the beginning of the season but I had to nail down and just get on with it because the team deserved that."

'Everyone's happy with where we are'

FULL REPORT

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2019 at 12:18, CaaC (John) said:

Quote.thumb.png.c2d5ac7fedb4cd8fe1930425d83ab427.png

Crystal Palace have secured a £22.5m boost after they sold an instalment owed on the deal which took England Under-21 defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka, 21, to Manchester United to an Australian bank in order to receive the money now. (Evening Standard)

The only store there is that a global enterprise like Manchester United couldn't pay the whole fee upfront.

• 2 weeks later...

Word in Germany is that Roy is looking at one of the up and coming young players with a view to making an offer - word is also that he had completely demoralised Max with his attitude and no young German player will be interested.  Sounds about right!

Sorry my info comes from Wolfsburg!

Edited by SchalkeUK

On 08/11/2019 at 15:29, SchalkeUK said:

Word in Germany is that Roy is looking at one of the up and coming young players with a view to making an offer - word is also that he had completely demoralised Max with his attitude and no young German player will be interested.  Sounds about right!

Sorry my info comes from Wolfsburg!

Wout Weghorst would be completely alienated with the way we play any way and would struggle to score 8 or more goals. It's a complete non runner.

Max Meyer, Jairo Riedewald and now unfortunately Victor Camarasa all look devoid of confidence and I do put that down to poor man management from Roy.