talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace Discussion

39 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Ah, but is Big Sam taking you down though?

No idea at the moment. It's so tight it's impossible to call. If we go down we should be down in the black hole for 5+ years but if we stay up we're effectively going to become another Sunderland. Either outcome isn't really appealing.

• 2 months later...

Well we'd be screwed without him. In terms of ability he's the best player i've ever seen play for Palace. Really looking forward to see what happens with him next season.

I imagine the big contenders will be Wilfred Zaha, Jason Puncheon and Yohan Cabaye. Zaha will get it again because the fans love him but I think the other two have been more impressive. Puncheon has not only reinvented himself as a central midfielder through his hard work, professionalism and dedication (which are traits you would have never have associated with him until he joined us) at a time when he very easily could have just faded off after scoring for his boyhood club at Wembley. Whilst Cabaye has had an impact in almost every game he's played but will never really get his true recognition for us because of how much he gets paid in comparison to the other players bar Benteke.

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon Townsend will end up back up here, Rafa seems to like him.

I don't want that, he wasn't willing to do the dirty work in the Championship when we wanted him so I don't see why we should pander back to him now we've been promoted again.

• Subscriber

Haha what am I reading - that's ridiculous logic.

Townsend owed Newcastle nothing - He played well for Newcastle, then got offered a deal to play Premier League football which at this point in his career he needed to, probably on more money. Why should he have played Championship football? Hardly pandering to him either - if you want to sign him again then great, but I'm sure he won't lose any sleep over it. Bizarre attitude. 

• Upvote 1

I'd take Townsend back and based on reports in January he wanted to come back, it would have happened if Palace didn't try and make a profit out of it.

It won't happen because Palace will always try and mug us off so we will move on.

38 minutes ago, Storts said:

Haha what am I reading - that's ridiculous logic.

Townsend owed Newcastle nothing - He played well for Newcastle, then got offered a deal to play Premier League football which at this point in his career he needed to, probably on more money. Why should he have played Championship football? Hardly pandering to him either - if you want to sign him again then great, but I'm sure he won't lose any sleep over it. Bizarre attitude. 

He didn't want to play for us in the Championship, went to Palace and now he's out of favour we are going to take him back? Not for me.

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Toony said:

He didn't want to play for us in the Championship, went to Palace and now he's out of favour we are going to take him back? Not for me.

Yes but why would he want to play for you in the Championship xD He owed you nothing, he had no personal connection with you - he needed to be playing Premier League football at this point in his career, and when he had played for you he gave his all. 

Coleman isn't the right man and I don't even think he's that good of a manager.

He's done well with Wales but there was no doubt an element of luck about their Euro run and now they are struggling to qualify for the World Cup.

• 2 weeks later...

Jonny Williams, that teenager that you may remember became totally amazing on Fifa 12, and you didn't hear of again until he was celebrating with Wales as if he won The World Cup when England lost to Iceland, has signed a new contract.

Hes got progressively worse in about four loan spells with Ipswich and couldn't start for a relegated MK Dons team. I know we all want to see academy players come through but Jesus Christ just let him go. He's never going to reach his full potential here. He's either injured, injured on loan, or miraculously healed for Euro 2016. Another two years he's wasting here.

36 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Jonny Williams, that teenager that you may remember became totally amazing on Fifa 12, and you didn't hear of again until he was celebrating with Wales as if he won The World Cup when England lost to Iceland, has signed a new contract.

Hes got progressively worse in about four loan spells with Ipswich and couldn't start for a relegated MK Dons team. I know we all want to see academy players come through but Jesus Christ just let him go. He's never going to reach his full potential here. He's either injured, injured on loan, or miraculously healed for Euro 2016. Another two years he's wasting here.

Is he actually Welsh?

• Subscriber
57 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Annoys me when we do this as well. For example, Conor McAleny was about 23 before we stopped sending him on loans to League One and Two and finally sold him. Pennington looks a similar case from what he showed in his first team appearances this season. 

On 09/06/2017 at 8:03 PM, Batard said:

I see Palace have changed their mind over Steve and now don't want to sell him back. I suspect it's for more money. 

I think the fee doesn't cover his wages for past season, agent fees, 'loyalty bonus', yearly survival bonus, accommodation, PL inflation etc. That and I have a suspicion that our owners are not best pleased with Marseille because it seemed just after after christmas both Steve and Cabaye had heads turned. One ruled his sleeves up and was the role model professional, the other never played again. I'm sure there is other factors in play but given he could have been a club legend because of his ability im quite disgusted by his apparent lack of professionalism.

The guy is clearly a quality Goalkeeper so the fact only Marseille have bidded for him speaks volumes that everybody working behind the scenes knows something's that's gone on and he will be eventually going there.

On 09/06/2017 at 8:34 PM, Dan said:

Anything on a new manager?

It's like The Apprentice at the moment. There's been about 12 suitable candidates and ones getting ruled out every week.

Apart from Chris Coleman who for whatever reason thought it was appropriate to say he wasn't interested before he was spoken too.

Edited by Aaroncpfc

Joe Ledley has been released. Loyal servant who seemed quite a character but performances have dipped since Euro 2016 so he may need a change of scenery to motivate himself. I imagine a team with playoff ambitions will take the wage hit with him.

Edited by Aaroncpfc

Emmanuel Adebayor has described joining Crystal Palace as the worst decision of his career, which is quite ironic really as I recall takeing a chance on him in the first place to be the worst decision we've made in our Premier League history.

Edited by Aaroncpfc

• 2 weeks later...