talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace Discussion

1 hour ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Steve Mandanda is refusing to report to pre-season training. Lost a lot of respect for him for that. Hope we can stop paying his 50k p/w and make him wait until Marseille offer a fee remotely close to his ability.

I hate shit like that. I would be all for a rule that says that not only can a club stop a player's money immediately but that any transfer as a result is increased to twice the value, and to include a 50% sell on clause.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

the real reason is to keep vampires away

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40497542

Crystal Palace have kicked up a stink around Selhurst Park this summer after using garlic to prepare their playing surface for the new Premier League season.

The Selhurst Park pitch has been having problems with microscopic parasites that weaken the roots within the turf.

Liquid garlic is a pungent but effective way of treating the problem.

"Think of your garlic at home and times that by 100," Palace head groundsman Bruce Elliott told cpfc.co.uk.

"We have a problem with nematodes, which are a microscopic, parasitic worm-like creatures that live within the root zone.

"When it gets in there it can distort the roots system and creates a weak plant that is susceptible to disease and wear and tear."

Palace's first pre-season friendly at Selhurst Park is on 5 August against German side Schalke.

Frank de Boer's side host Huddersfield on the opening day of the Premier League campaign on 12 August.

Hopefully, Palace will have more luck with this unusual method than Darlington did with their own novel approach in 1999.

The Quakers introduced 500lbs of worms to their flooded pitch to help irrigate it, only for them to drown.

• Administrator

Like Ake to Bournemouth, I wonder if Sakho will push through a move to Palace due to the successful loan deal during last season.

He certainly settled in to Palace well and fans certainly took a liking to him. Wonder how much it will be for...

24 minutes ago, Stan said:

Like Ake to Bournemouth, I wonder if Sakho will push through a move to Palace due to the successful loan deal during last season.

He certainly settled in to Palace well and fans certainly took a liking to him. Wonder how much it will be for...

He won't have to push anything through... Klopp hates him. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

He won't have to push anything through... Klopp hates him. 

fair enough xD 

Interesting to see if any other clubs will come in for him

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Southampton are interested allegedly. I can see this continuing throughout the majority of the summer due to Liverpools high asking price for a player they don't clearly want. I can't imagine any club in Europe will want to compete at that price.

If Southampton are interested that's got sweetener for Van Dijk all over it. Depends if Sakho wants to go there though. 

7 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

If Southampton are interested that's got sweetener for Van Dijk all over it. Depends if Sakho wants to go there though. 

Given we've gone from being linked with Adil Rami, a defender with experience whose best days look behind him, to Davinson Sanchez, a young and expensive investment, makes me think the media haven't got a clue about what we're doing. 

13 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

That would be a good outcome for both club sides i.m.o.

Great defender but no chance of future time under klopp. Very capable of filling a van dijk shaped hole in the saints backline and at deal would still leave them comfortably 30m to the better....

Crystal Palace have signed Netherlands defender Jairo Riedewald from Ajax on a five-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

Riedewald, 20, previously played for new Palace manager Frank de Boer at the Dutch side, making his first-team debut under him in 2013.

He made 93 appearances and was part of the 2014 Eredivisie title-winning side.

Riedewald is Palace's second signing of the transfer window after Chelsea midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek joined on a season-long loan deal.

"It is a great opportunity to be working under De Boer once again," Riedewald, who has three caps for the Netherlands, told the Premier League club's website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40710117

Fee rumoured to be £8m