talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace Discussion

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

It is a fair point but maybe it's something that should be the norm.

This is my point tbh. I don’t want it to be some whataboutism crusade though. I just think we need to think about society as a whole and not let anyone go adrift. I get academy lads have known nothing but football since a very early age, but it doesn’t mean they’re any more valuable than a British Gas apprentice being binned off after two years. 

Still, commendable of Palace and it shouldn’t be overlooked because of a different argument. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Whilst this is commendable for what it is, I want to play devils advocate for a moment. Do this just make more of a case that footballers are more special than the rest of society? For instance, does this thing happen as standard in apprenticeships up and down the country in various job roles/descriptions? Just food for thought. 

I’m not sure you get many people taking their own lives because they struggled with carpentry. No one really dreams of becoming a tradey and it’s definitely not as competitive once you have your apprenticeship, certainly attainable for anyone who really sets their sights on it. If you have a genuine goal in life to be a footballer and it’s all you’ve ever known and you are used and discarded by the club you give everything to day and night and it then becomes completely unattainable then there’s definitely going to be a big drop in mental health for a lot of people going through it.

I think the issue is with clubs in general and how kids are used by academies and a lot of the work should come before the need for aftercare. The word aftercare suggests there’s been some sort of care there already and I don’t think that’s the case. The mental health deterioration begins long before the aftercare does, and the it implodes as the aftercare kicks in.

It’s one of the reasons Sunday League is so important and why clubs like SE Dons and Baiteze are because they live and breathe passion for Sunday league. Ex-academy kids/pros can drop down and play for fun but also in an environment that tries to get the best out of them.

• Upvote 1

To restore balance from that last good news story, I've just found out our shirt sleeve sponsor a Crypto Currency has gone in to administration.

Having a Crypto Currency as a shirt sponsor was very divisive in the first place. I get the advantages of using Bitcoin overseas given the extortionate rate of VAT but all these other unrecognised Crypto Currency's read of 'Football Index Ponzi' to me and we've already seen with this one the dangers they present.

I don't think it will be long until we see a ban on gambling sponsors on shirts and I anticipate the next battle will be with Cryptos.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

To restore balance from that last good news story, I've just found out our shirt sleeve sponsor a Crypto Currency has gone in to administration.

Having a Crypto Currency as a shirt sponsor was very divisive in the first place. I get the advantages of using Bitcoin overseas given the extortionate rate of VAT but all these other unrecognised Crypto Currency's read of 'Football Index Ponzi' to me and we've already seen with this one the dangers they present.

I don't think it will be long until we see a ban on gambling sponsors on shirts and I anticipate the next battle will be with Cryptos.

Cryptos to me always seemed like a Ponzi scheme, if you cannot spend them in a supermarket, what's the point.

23 hours ago, Waylander said:

Cryptos to me always seemed like a Ponzi scheme, if you cannot spend them in a supermarket, what's the point.

Weirdly, in places where currencies aren't all that stable... more and more businesses actually accept cryptos. But I think if you're finding a crypto currency more stable than a normal actual currency... you're in a country that's got some serious issues & I don't think cryptos are the long term solution there.

For most of us, I think there's no real benefit to crypto currencies and I think shite like dogecoin and "coins" like that are definitely a way to take advantage of speculators wanting to get in on crypto "investing". Having said that, I know someone who's made a pretty significant amount of money trading crypto... but I think he's absolutely mental. But I also think he's one of those people taking advantage of speculative investors.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Gareth Southgate was at the Wolves game. The media speculated he was there watching Max Kilman but there was only one center back on the pitch that would have caught his eye.

I said in one of the matchday threads I'd be surprised if he isn't in the World Cup squad. He's exactly the type of CB Gareth looks for, he's the Under 21 Captain and we're not exactly stacked in that position.

On 22/03/2022 at 22:45, The Palace Fan said:

FB_IMG_1647988989920.jpg

Well deserved all three of them.

I thought Tyrick would have an outside chance if there was an injury crisis. Patrick Vieira's really helped progress him in to a complete full back whilst last season we only really saw his impeccable defensive game.

Could easily be four in that pic had Southgate been in charge of England a few months before he was.

Pretty sure he'd have managed to get Zaha under his wing but it was all too late in reality when he tried.

I think every team should be mandated to start up an affiliate league for acadamy players that haven't quite made it to earn a basic living while also getting further education to help them on in life.  Have premier league sides and championship sides adopt a non league team as a feeder club allowing youth who are not quite good enough to make it at the higher levels to at least get a chance to play and make a living.     It may also inject needed money into the grass roots level of the game. 

2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Palace have some interesting assets and the vultures are circling.   Olise's 33m release clause is chump change and Guehi and Zaha are going to get mugged.  

The issue we found ourselves in five years ago was our assets were Cabaye, Sakho, Townsend, Benteke, Van Aanholt etc. All perfectly good players but none of them we could make a profit on. We ended up letting them all go for free. We werent an attractive proposition for young players who saw us a club that didnt sell and didnt particularly play good football. If we had got relegated we would have been in big trouble.

With this new model even if we end up selling an asset to a top six club every year then every player worth their salt in The Championship will look at us as an attractive proposition to further there career. Just like how we've come the club that Chelsea know they can send a player with international pedigree too to develop (Reuben Loftus-Cheek, Gallagher and Guehi).

Given we're going to lose Gallagher and Kouyate this summer I imagine we will be trying to sign Zaha and Olise on new contracts. If we lose one of them I'm not too concerned as it will mean more game time for Eze or Edourard. Plus bringing in a Brennan Johnson for competition would be sweet business. Whilst somebody should be getting a good deal for Michael Olise, 30m flip on an 8m signing after six months of football is incredible business. If use that money on say Djed Spence and Brennan Johnson the future still looks pretty good.

Guehi won't be going anywhere for at least another 12 months. He knows his best chance to play for England is to keep playing and he's really progressed since becoming the captain. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

The issue we found ourselves in five years ago was our assets were Cabaye, Sakho, Townsend, Benteke, Van Aanholt etc. All perfectly good players but none of them we could make a profit on. We ended up letting them all go for free. We werent an attractive proposition for young players who saw us a club that didnt sell and didnt particularly play good football. If we had got relegated we would have been in big trouble.

With this new model even if we end up selling an asset to a top six club every year then every player worth their salt in The Championship will look at us as an attractive proposition to further there career. Just like how we've come the club that Chelsea know they can send a player with international pedigree too to develop (Reuben Loftus-Cheek, Gallagher and Guehi).

Given we're going to lose Gallagher and Kouyate this summer I imagine we will be trying to sign Zaha and Olise on new contracts. If we lose one of them I'm not too concerned as it will mean more game time for Eze or Edourard. Plus bringing in a Brennan Johnson for competition would be sweet business. Whilst somebody should be getting a good deal for Michael Olise, 30m flip on an 8m signing after six months of football is incredible business. If use that money on say Djed Spence and Brennan Johnson the future still looks pretty good.

Guehi won't be going anywhere for at least another 12 months. He knows his best chance to play for England is to keep playing and he's really progressed since becoming the captain. 

We are apparently interested in Olise,  as well as other players that seem to be in the young range.   Inacio Goncales, Renato Sanches and Olise would be good off season business.

29 minutes ago, Waylander said:

Palace should only start worrying if Arteta gets sacked.

That's the logical next step for him based on his history with the club. I cannot imagine Juventus, Inter, AC Milan etc approaching him based on a successful job turning a relegation threatened team around.

I'd understand the appeal in a Leicester or a Newcastle as a next step but I imagine they'd opt for experience.

@The Palace Fan I think they said that palace are in for their best premier league finish. I think everyone has been shocked at well viera has done. I thought you would go down this season. 

Does he play a brand of football which allows players more freedom? Is that why 3 of your players have got in the England squad?

If arsenal do sack arteta I wouldn't be surprised if they went for Vieira. I dont mean it in a disrespectful way but I'm sure he would take the offer if it was made. 

3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@The Palace Fan I think they said that palace are in for their best premier league finish. I think everyone has been shocked at well viera has done. I thought you would go down this season. 

Does he play a brand of football which allows players more freedom? Is that why 3 of your players have got in the England squad?

If arsenal do sack arteta I wouldn't be surprised if they went for Vieira. I dont mean it in a disrespectful way but I'm sure he would take the offer if it was made. 

Arsenal is the next logical step for Vieira. Unless he takes Palace to the top eight and a Cup Final I don't think one of the big Italian clubs he's played for will consider him.

From what Steve Parish has said it sounds like we had a philosophy that Patrick Vieira was happy to implement. That philosophy extends throughout all age groups now and it's designed so that if staff members leave they can be replaced effectively. Whether that's the honest truth or smoke and mirrors remains to be seen.

2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Arsenal is the next logical step for Vieira. Unless he takes Palace to the top eight and a Cup Final I don't think one of the big Italian clubs he's played for will consider him.

From what Steve Parish has said it sounds like we had a philosophy that Patrick Vieira was happy to implement. That philosophy extends throughout all age groups now and it's designed so that if staff members leave they can be replaced effectively. Whether that's the honest truth or smoke and mirrors remains to be seen.

If that's true, that's great news for Palace.

I think Vieira's doing a great job and shouldn't go anywhere unless Arteta fucks off. It's been a great season and it's not over yet, and I'd be excited to see what he can build over the next few years.

And as a personal note, it's great to see a player I had so much respect for come in and do so well in his first premier league job. Palace are such a great side for neutrals to watch right now. I think Hodgson was a good manager for you, but playing "modern attacking football" like this has to be a pretty pleasant change.

Fair play to Vieira, I had Palace down as relegation fodder when he took over. The scenario seemed a bit dire at the time, from afar he hadn't exactly set the world alight in France and seeing the turnover of players in the Summer it just seemed logical, but he's performed really well and midtable is a good position for Palace. The result against Arsenal a really good one that could help them end the season on a high.

The rebuild will be interesting, especially if they lose Zaha, but we'll see how it goes.

Any talk of Vieira at Arsenal is completely premature though, not proven at all.

• 1 month later...

I've only just heard about this.

I've been pretty vocal throughout the last three seasons on how good I think Kouyate has been in the roles he's played for us and genuinely think given how well he looks after himself he could play in his current role at this level for the next two to three years regardless of his age. 

After hearing this though, I don't want to see him in a Palace kit again. His contract is up and he can go to the Middle East and make an obscene amount of money elsewhere. To post what he has done in the same week that Jake Daniels came out as a gay footballer as far as I'm concerned was intentional and to suggest that Gueye is a 'real man' -- thereby implying that the support of LGBTQ+ initiatives is not the act of real men, is disappointing. 

The Club saying they're going to deal with this matter internally doesn't cut it for me. Given the sensitivity of the issue they should be communicating with the fan base exactly how they're dealing with the matter. I've always been proud of the fact that for generations Crystal Palace have regularly been giving opportunities to young black footballers and as a football club we take a zero stance on discrimination. To know a footballer for our club thinks Idrissa Gueye is a 'real man' quite frankly makes me embarrassed and angry.

• 1 month later...

Ive been told previously two of them are not vaccinated. Got no idea on the status of the others.

It does seem daft to do a pre-season tour to a country that had stringent covid restrictions. The squad will only have one game together before the Arsenal opening fixture. Not the best way to plan for the season.