talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace Discussion

13 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Ive been told previously two of them are not vaccinated. Got no idea on the status of the others.

It does seem daft to do a pre-season tour to a country that had stringent covid restrictions. The squad will only have one game together before the Arsenal opening fixture. Not the best way to plan for the season.

BBC claiming that neither Reuben Loftus-Cheek or Kante will go to the US over therr vaccination status so not only Palace has this issue.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62106151

On 16/07/2022 at 12:48, Stan said:

@The Palace Fan Plange any good? Seen he bagged a hat-trick today. 

I've just seen the highlights. He seems to be a very good finisher but I'm not sure he will offer as much to the overall team gameplay as Mateta and Benteke do.

We did offer him out on loan to Championship clubs but the only club that seemingly expressed an interest in Luton Town have signed two strikers now. 

19 minutes ago, Stan said:

Chris Richards heading your way @The Palace Fan?

Hopefully means Colwill won't go to you... 

It's seemingly come out of nowhere.

If we've been working on this in the background I cannot imagine we will go for Colwill but Vieira has said he wants us to be able to play in a 3-5-2 system so he may want another CB if he thinks Joel Ward cannot play at the same level as he did at the end of last season.

I know we were linked with Ronnie Edwards at the start of the window but Darragh MacAnthony was doing his generic "He's worth ten times what you all think he is" act he does whenever he has a popular asset and i just assumed we moved on.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like Malcolm Ebiowei has done enough in pre season to convince Patrick Vieira he's good enough for the first team.

Right midfielder with similar qualities to Zaha albeit only eighteen years old. He's meant to be the player Derby County have been most excited about from there academy and that includes Kaide Gordon and Liam Delap.

14 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

It sounds like Malcolm Ebiowei has done enough in pre season to convince Patrick Vieira he's good enough for the first team.

Right midfielder with similar qualities to Zaha albeit only eighteen years old. He's meant to be the player Derby County have been most excited about from there academy and that includes Kaide Gordon and Liam Delap.

What is the point in having an academy these days...good from a financial perspective if you can sell players on for a big enough sum but that rarely happens and clubs rarely get to keep hold of these players because the bigger sides like Chelsea and City will come swooping with their 700 teams per age group

14 minutes ago, Danny said:

What is the point in having an academy these days...good from a financial perspective if you can sell players on for a big enough sum but that rarely happens and clubs rarely get to keep hold of these players because the bigger sides like Chelsea and City will come swooping with their 700 teams per age group

Yeah the EPPP (behind the formation of the Premier League) is the second worst thing that's happened to the lower tiers. I couldn't believe Gareth Southgate of all people proposed it. The cost to run a Cat A (or even a Cat B in most cases) academy is very expensive for these clubs and you're not protected if a big club wants to take a young player as the compensation fees are pathetic.

They're arguably better off closing down there academy and cherry picking players 17-21 outside the football league (like Sorba Thomas and Iliman N'Diaye were at Boreham Wood) or picking up released academy players under 23 from Premier League teams and trying to build them back up again (like Brentford did with Mepham).

Very sad news. Andrejs Rubins had a big impact in his short time at Crystal Palace. He scored a magnificent 30 yard goal against Premier League's Leicester Ciry and his goal in the League Cup semi final against Liverpool allowed Crystal Palace fans everywhere to dream.

Others may know him as the ridiculously good Latvian on Championship Manager 2002.

43 is no age to go and a stark reminder to make the most out of everyday.

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Very sad news. Andrejs Rubins had a big impact in his short time at Crystal Palace. He scored a magnificent 30 yard goal against Premier League's Leicester Ciry and his goal in the League Cup semi final against Liverpool allowed Crystal Palace fans everywhere to dream.

Others may know him as the ridiculously good Latvian on Championship Manager 2002.

43 is no age to go and a stark reminder to make the most out of everyday.

That is shocking news, that's absolutely no age to go. Very sad, RIP.

Christian Benteke has signed for DC United.

A player who has scored more Premier League goals than the likes of Fernando Torres, Carlos Tevez, Eric Cantona, Luis Suarez, Roberto Firmino, Riyad Mahrez and Pierre-Emerick Aubamayang.

An incredible loss to the competition that will be sorely missed.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Christian Benteke has signed for DC United.

A player who has scored more Premier League goals than the likes of Fernando Torres, Carlos Tevez, Eric Cantona, Luis Suarez, Roberto Firmino, Riyad Mahrez and Pierre-Emerick Aubamayang.

An incredible loss to the competition that will be sorely missed.

Good luck hope he has a good time there.

I remember those couple of seasons at Villa where he was incredible think it was injury that stopped him being one of the world's great strikers,

• 2 months later...

Great to have a legend of the club back

If it wasn't for the 2009/10 teams efforts to stay in The Championship there wouldn't be a Crystal Palace so its nice to see the core of that team in Julian Speroni, Paddy McCarthy and Sean Derry on the coaching staff in some capacity. Also it's good that Danny Butterfield and Clint Hill are coaching elsewhere. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Waylander said:

What's the story with Zaha's contract being up in January.

I could understand if he wants to leave based on how he wanted to leave in former years yet was blocked. 

It expires next summer but he's free to strike an agreement with a team overseas in January for next season.

He signed a five year contract in the summer of 2018, after signing a contract in 2017, so he had two big back-to-back pay prises.  There was however a verbal "Gentlemen's Agreement" between him and Steve Parish he could leave in the summer of 2019 for a top six club. It made sense as we would need a big cash windfall.

However what we didn't anticipate was Aaron Wan-Bissaka would have a great season and we'd receive an offer from him Manchester United that superseded any value we could have dreamt of a year before. So we no longer needed to sell Wilfried Zaha as losing two key players would have really hurt us.

Wilfried Zaha understandably was fuming and handed in a transfer request. We begrudgingly said he could go if Arsenal met our transfer valuation but they never did.

Then the summer after that we had Covid, the summer after that we lost about 14 players and desperately needed him, and then last summer nobody seriously wanted a player they could get for free in 12 months time.

I hope he gets to experience Champions League football but I imagine wherever he ends up he will have to get used to a squad player role.

Considering his physical condition there’s no reason why he can’t play at this level for another 3-4 years at least and with his contract running out this Summer now is the time for him to move.

Not sure Arsenal will still want him with the options they have going forward now. Wouldn’t surprise me if Spurs went in for him though.

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, Danny said:

@The Palace Fan what is likely to happen to Eze this Summer with 2 years left on his contract? Honestly if Spurs lose Kane, them tying up Toney and Eze would be a phenomenal watch.

I think any transfer activity largely hinges on what happens with Zaha. If he stays then I imagine one of our starting XI with sell on value may be allowed to leave. I think the most likely to go would be Marc Guehi as left footed center backs seem to be in high demand. Eze's had a fantastic month under Hodgson but I think he needs to show this type of form for a longer period under a new manager before a top seven side would seriously consider him in the role where he's most effective. 

• 1 month later...

Clyne, Ward and Tomkins have signed new contracts.

Some people are a little surprised (to put it mildly) that were keeping Tomkins for another season. The way I see it is its going to be a hard sell to anybody to join as a 4th choice center back so its best to keep an experienced head whose happy with the role.

Clyne and Ward are no brainers. They're both experienced players that haven't let us down. Even if we do sign another right back, Ward could still deputise as cover across the whole back line.