talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace Discussion

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't realise Tyrick Mitchell came from our academy, glad to see him close to (or in) the first team at Palace. Would have been difficult for a lot of the youth players with how they were cut from us. He's also fairly local to me being from Harrow too so nice to see lads from west/north west London being represented in the Prem these days.

Edited by Danny

• 4 weeks later...

John Textor aka The Hologram Man has bought a stake in our club.

To get the negatives out the way... He was the founder of Digital Domain (a visual effects company for Hollywood) which failed spectacularly in 2012. He initially was sued by investors (which included the state of Florida) but he was cleared of any wrong doings and compensated with $6 million dollars by hedge funds that were found to be the cause of the collapse.

He is most well known however for FaceBank. They are company that produced that large hologram of Michael Jackson and have done so for other celebrities ever since. He more recently bought a sports streaming service called FuboTV in 2020 that have gone strength to strength since. He's merged both companies and it now floats on the New York Stock Exchange.

In regards to football, his ambition was to buy shares in both Benfica and Crystal Palace. He saw the big three in Portugal as undervalued and believed there links South America saw great room for potential growth pre-covid. Unfortunately the owners of Benfica are currently in an 85 million fraud scandal concerning siphoning money from transfer fees so that ambition may be dead in the water.

• 4 weeks later...

Zion Atta has confirmed on his Instagram account he is leaving Crystal Palace.

He was our best player at Under 16 level in the first half of the season. Then Mino Raiola was hired as his agent and his form fell off a cliff.

Only time will tell if he has the correct mental attributes to make it as a footballer.

Every day The Sun are releasing news articles about a "Next Crystal Palace Manager" after a "Poor Start".

When the likes of Frank Lampard, Ole Gunnar Solksjaer, Mikel Arteta, Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney, Scott Parker and many others first took managerial jobs in the UK, the shitrag papers were initially supportive. They haven't been the same for Patrick Vieira. 

I wonder why that is...

4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Every day The Sun are releasing news articles about a "Next Crystal Palace Manager" after a "Poor Start".

When the likes of Frank Lampard, Ole Gunnar Solksjaer, Mikel Arteta, Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney, Scott Parker and many others first took managerial jobs in the UK, the shitrag papers were initially supportive. They haven't been the same for Patrick Vieira. 

I wonder why that is...

It’s probably a mix of some casual racism our tabloids love so much + trying to whip up people placing bets.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was listening to a Business of Sport podcast with John Textor on and when his position with Benfica was discussed he used the example of Bernardo Silva leaving Benfica for Monaco and then joining Manchester City for a significant sum. He said he wants to try to convince the other Benfica board members if they could cut out the middle man in Monaco through a loan to a Premier League club for one season to inflate a players value then it would be more beneficial for them in the long run.

He also revealed him and the other three stakeholders hold meeting on a weekly basis in regards to Crystal Palace. Which was news to all of us as we assumed the other two American investors had lost all interest.

It would be interesting to see what he sees in Botafogo. I imagine his main draw to them other than history and production line was there fan base which looks pretty mental.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/12/2021 at 19:33, ScoRoss said:

What is happening with Botafogo? Seen some stuff online, but very simplistic. Seems one of Palace's owner is buying them?

Sorry mate, thought I responded this. 

John Textor has either purchased or is in advanced talks of purchasing Botafogo. Listening to him on the Business of Sport podcast I imagine what attracted him to them was the history of the club, the atmosphere and to benefit Benfica.

At present it seems we're his priority unless he can get a controlling stake in Benfica. He spoke at length how he'd rather Benfica loan out players to Crystal Palace for a season to inflate value as opposed selling to another European club and then sell the player on to Man City for an inflated price (ie Bernardo Silva with Monaco).

5 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Sorry mate, thought I responded this. 

John Textor has either purchased or is in advanced talks of purchasing Botafogo. Listening to him on the Business of Sport podcast I imagine what attracted him to them was the history of the club, the atmosphere and to benefit Benfica.

At present it seems we're his priority unless he can get a controlling stake in Benfica. He spoke at length how he'd rather Benfica loan out players to Crystal Palace for a season to inflate value as opposed selling to another European club and then sell the player on to Man City for an inflated price (ie Bernardo Silva with Monaco).

So you are going to potentially turn into a version of what everyone expected Wolves to do?

7 hours ago, Danny said:

So you are going to potentially turn into a version of what everyone expected Wolves to do?

If his vision does come to fruition I don't think it would be to the extent of what Wolves did where they abandoned the entire fabric of the club for a new vision. A lot of John Textor's investment has gone on the new academy facilities for example. Benfica will probably drip feed a player at a time and I imagine there stance is unwilling at present as they got burned when they sent Gedson Fernandes over to Spurs and he was sussed out.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Whilst this is commendable for what it is, I want to play devils advocate for a moment. Do this just make more of a case that footballers are more special than the rest of society? For instance, does this thing happen as standard in apprenticeships up and down the country in various job roles/descriptions? Just food for thought. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Whilst this is commendable for what it is, I want to play devils advocate for a moment. Do this just make more of a case that footballers are more special than the rest of society? For instance, does this thing happen as standard in apprenticeships up and down the country in various job roles/descriptions? Just food for thought. 

Thought this myself. They were released for a reason, and it’s like everybody else who ever had an unsuccessful work trial or apprenticeship. It’s not like it’s the end of the road for them either, if they were good enough to be in the Palace academy, there’s a high likelihood that they will be able to get a spot in the lower leagues. Say they end up playing League 1 football to start with, it’s still a much better lifestyle than most “normal” people have. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

It is a fair point but maybe it's something that should be the norm.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Rick said:

Thought this myself. They were released for a reason, and it’s like everybody else who ever had an unsuccessful work trial or apprenticeship. It’s not like it’s the end of the road for them either, if they were good enough to be in the Palace academy, there’s a high likelihood that they will be able to get a spot in the lower leagues. Say they end up playing League 1 football to start with, it’s still a much better lifestyle than most “normal” people have. 

Most players released from Premier League academies won't even end up at a Football League club.