talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

North vs South

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I've never considered the North East to be part of this north/south thing. Always find it weird when people call me a northerner. Never had any affinity with South Yorkshire or the North West as it is so far away. 

25 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Personally I've never considered the North East to be part of this north/south thing. Always find it weird when people call me a northerner. Never had any affinity with South Yorkshire or the North West as it is so far away. 

That's cos you're Scottish

A lot of Yankee slandering in this thread, as if they are the only culture to have a glorified 'all star friendlies'. What is the Community Shield? European Cup Winner's Cup? The Rugby League match between the Australian and English premiers? Emirates Cup? A lot of hypocrisy here.

9 minutes ago, Spike said:

A lot of Yankee slandering in this thread, as if they are the only culture to have a glorified 'all star friendlies'. What is the Community Shield? European Cup Winner's Cup? The Rugby League match between the Australian and English premiers? Emirates Cup? A lot of hypocrisy here.

None of these are examples of all star games

Just now, Burning Gold said:

None of these are example of all star games

Yet how are they different besides the fact they don't use 'all star teams'? They have no competitive meaning, and are simply poised as exhibition games. The only difference is that they are framed as 'teams'. You know exactly what I mean, don't feign ignorance. What does the Community Shield offer that the NBA All-Star Weekend doesn't? 

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Yet how are they different besides the fact they don't use 'all star teams'? They have no competitive meaning, and are simply poised as exhibition games. The only difference is that they are framed as 'teams'. You know exactly what I mean, don't feign ignorance. What does the Community Shield offer that the NBA All-Star Weekend doesn't? 

Certainly no slam dunk contests. The NBA All-Star weekend is fucking stupid though, loaded in stupid pageantry for no reason other than to fill up more time.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Certainly no slam dunk contests. The NBA All-Star weekend is fucking stupid though, loaded in stupid pageantry for no reason other than to fill up more time.

I think it is to appeal to Black audiences, the pageantry that is. It almost runs parallel with hip-hop culture, peacocking to prove that they are the best. Which is understandable given that it grew from a underprivileged group of people.

Whatever, I digress. The point being is that they are meaningless contests dressed up to be meaningful.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Not a great deal, to be fair, but it does at least offer some utility because it's between actual teams, meaning there's pride at stake and fans to satisfy. I don't watch basketball, but I assume the NBA's All-Star Game is similar to the NFL's Pro Bowl, compared to which the Community Shield is played as if it's the World Cup final.

9 minutes ago, Spike said:

You wouldn't say that after feeling passion of the fans at a college football game in Georgia.

I'd tell them all they're weird for watching kids in college play a bad game. 

14 minutes ago, HK85 said:

I'd tell them all they're weird for watching kids in college play a bad game. 

Look mate, they're shit at football and it's the best sport they've got. Let's not be too harsh on them.

Just now, Cannabis said:

Televising glorified Sunday League children's matches you mean?

But it isn't that in the slightest. I didn't realise people aged 18+ were children? Also didn't Everton play high-schoolers in Davies and Rooney? Nearly every single athlete in America emerges from college programs. 
To the people that consume college sports, it has the same high quality level of plays without the huge money and corporate interference.

Archived