talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

MLS Match Chat

football forum

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

How is the MLS going to work long-term with an ever expanding list of clubs joining their ranks? A two-league system or two leagues (maybe East/West) running simultaneously next to each other with a play-off competition? 

what I find weird about the current format is that teams from different sides of the conferences (East and West) play each other.

It's fine having the 2 different conferences and equal teams number of teams within them, but then it's backwards to have a team in the Eastern Conference play one in the Western Conference. 

Might as well have 2 divisions with a total mix of teams geographically, if anyone can play anyone. 

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Stan said:

what I find weird about the current format is that teams from different sides of the conferences (East and West) play each other.

It's fine having the 2 different conferences and equal teams number of teams within them, but then it's backwards to have a team in the Eastern Conference play one in the Western Conference. 

Might as well have 2 divisions with a total mix of teams geographically, if anyone can play anyone. 

Not necessarily backwards.

In Rugby Union's Celtic league (with Scottish, Welsh, Irish and South African teams) they have two conferences of seven, where teams play each team in their conference home and away and each team from the opposing conference once. I don't think that is that confusing but I know cross-conference games are common in the NFL, so it's not a major problem in the US. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2017 at 3:42 PM, Smiley Culture said:

Seriously, another team? Is there enough quality to go around the 117 teams in the MLS already? 

23 teams in the MLS, hardly much more than what they have in any country's top flight, not to mention in American sports, we typically have 30-35 teams.

And yes, there is enough talent.

On 11/12/2017 at 5:51 AM, Smiley Culture said:

How is the MLS going to work long-term with an ever expanding list of clubs joining their ranks? A two-league system or two leagues (maybe East/West) running simultaneously next to each other with a play-off competition? 

This. It'll work just like the NFL, MLB, NBA and all other sports do in this country.

1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

enough talent? That's debatable. I have a question for you eco, how well do the ncaa and the mls work together?

I know it would never work but I would love to see a tournament among the MLS, USL, and the NASL. I still haven't lost hope to one day see the cosmos play in the MLS

I think there is a clearly enough talent. The MLS model has clearly shown to work when we are getting young South Americans into a league with more exposure and better living conditions...and money. 

No relationship between the NCAA and MLS from my understanding. 

And the Lamar Hunt (US Open) tournament is between the MLS, USL, NASL, and any other team that wants to give it a go. 

3 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

A good relationship between the NCAA and the MLS would definitely help the player development. I guess its like the MLB, if you decide to go pro that's it. Are MLS clubs doing enough to develop talent? The only way I have to judge is the concachampions and tbh, the talent of young Americans is still not fully developed. Perfect example is the failure of the USMNT! All those teams and not one young American to replace Beasley??? L

Not good enough. For one, men aged 18-22 in the NCAA only have what? 4-5 months of competitive football? Whereas men aged 18-22 in club football in Europe have nearly twice the amount. Not to mention in Europe, it is much more competitive. 

Competitiveness is just as much as an issue as the whole 'pay to play' bollocks in the states. 

4 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

A good relationship between the NCAA and the MLS would definitely help the player development. I guess its like the MLB, if you decide to go pro that's it. Are MLS clubs doing enough to develop talent? The only way I have to judge is the concachampions and tbh, the talent of young Americans is still not fully developed. Perfect example is the failure of the USMNT! All those teams and not one young American to replace Beasley??? L

Well, athletics kids born and raised in the U.S. are still going to play in the NFL, NBA, and MLB, with soccer being much further on the list. Until the MLS can make up some ground on the other major sports, then I don't really see it getting any better or organized than it is today. 

The Beasley thing is interesting, as I could imagine in this country we surely have a capable WB that could outplay an old Beasley, but alas, no one believes that to be the case. 

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Kicks off this weekend. (all times GMT)

Saturday 3rd March 2018
Toronto vs Columbus Crew, 18.00
Houston Dynamo vs Atlanta, 20.30

Sunday 4th March, 2018
Philadelphia Union vs New England Revolution, 00.00
Orlando City vs DC United, 00.30
FC Dallas vs Real Salt Lake, 01.00
San Jose Earthquakes vs Minnesota United, 03.30
Seattle Sounders vs LAFC, 22.00
Vancouver Whitecaps vs Montreal Impact, 23.00

Monday 5th March, 2018
Sporting Kansas vs New York City, 00.30
LA Galaxy vs Portland Timbers, 03.00

On 3/1/2018 at 19:19, Smiley Culture said:

Just seen that Freddy Adu has signed for the pretty poorly named, Las Vegas Lights, who play in the USL. Their shirt and badge is pretty crap, too.

10062893_web1_soc-lights-feb08-18_020718

On 3/1/2018 at 19:52, Smiley Culture said:

It gets worse.

20180208-The18-Image-Las-Vegas-Lights-FC

This is a fucking disgrace all round. Hopefully the USL make an exception this year so this lot can be relegated

• Administrator
Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

Smh such a wasted talent. Vela is too good for the MLS, without the best player in the league.

I'd agree somewhat. 

Yangel Herrera & Miguel Almiron are 2 of the best as well. 

• Administrator

Oh yeah, forgot about Giovinco :dash3: xD 

we only get 1 or 2 games here at a reasonable time at the weekend to watch (usually 9pm/10pm on Saturday and Sunday evenings)

• Administrator

Atlanta currently 2-0 up at home to DC United.

Miguel Almiron, arguably one of the best MLS players, just scored a brilliant goal from the edge of the box, firing in a left-footed shot right in to the top corner. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

NYCFC go one-up at home to LA Galaxy. 

well taken goal by Tinnerholm as well. 

Should be 1-1 though. Kamara missed a sitter. 

• The title was changed to MLS Match Chat
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived