talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Volunteers and Stadium Stewards Undergo Training to Help Ensure Discrimination-Free Environment at Russia 2018

The final preparations continue for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™, and in only three months’ time, this huge international event will unite millions of fans from over 200 countries around the world. With the aim to ensure a friendly atmosphere for all supporters attending the tournament, organisers have been working consistently on ensuring a discrimination-free environment, with specific training taking place last week for two of the main groups that will have direct contact with the fans – the volunteers and stewards.

During a workshop in Sochi, the heads of the World Cup Volunteer Centres, stadium security coordinators, and trainers of stadium stewards underwent an interactive course on how to properly communicate with guests and participants at the tournament in a manner free of any racism or other forms of discrimination. They, in turn, are now qualified to guide volunteers and match observers in this sensitive issue, while the latter groups will have their own dedicated training programmes as well.

“One of our key objectives for the 2018 FIFA World Cup is to ensure that there is no discrimination and that everyone can fully enjoy an inclusive experience,” said FIFA’s Head of Sustainability & Diversity, Federico Addiechi. “To achieve this, we have been implementing a number of actions, one of them being the diversity training for our staff, volunteers, and stewards. They will all be taking care of our spectators, and this specific training will provide them with the necessary tools to contribute to making the event memorable for everyone.”

The workshop is part of the wider Football without discrimination project, which aims to create a zero-tolerance attitude to discrimination, not only among those involved in the FIFA World Cup preparations, but everyone in the country. FIFA and the LOC are working on this objective side-by-side with the Federal Research and Methodological Centre of Psychology and Education in Tolerance in Russia. This organisation has tasked itself with developing and providing training courses on how to create an environment free of any form of discrimination.

The collaboration was launched on 16 November last year to coincide with the International Day of Tolerance, when a special lesson on Football without discrimination was held in schools throughout Russia.

As part of the efforts to ensure a discrimination-free atmosphere, an anti-discrimination monitoring system and a three-step procedure in case of incidents were successfully implemented during qualifiers for the 2018 World Cup and at the FIFA Confederations Cup 2017. Furthermore, FIFA has continued with its campaigns and keeping its Member Associations, teams, and officials informed in the fight against discrimination, as well as offering other communication campaigns.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Will take more than a few flyers and training sessions to stop discrimination at Russia 2018. We all saw the scenes in Euro 2016, even the armed police struggled.

To be fair though, there were hardly - if any at all - incidents during last year's Confederation Cup in Russia though. Pretty sure they can control their own hools better than the police forces in France...

Considering the Russian Minister of Sport was basically calling the English fannies in France in 2016, I can’t imagine the police will take much notice if the idiots wanted to cause a load of trouble in a city centre. 

Telling stewards what to do won’t make a difference either. They’re hardly likely to front a Russian Ultra and tell them that they can’t call [insert players name] a “monkey” or something along those lines. 

• Subscriber

There has been a huge crackdown on hooligans in Russia; there's no way Kremlin is going to let them to be stomping on the skulls of rival fans in the Red Square in front of the whole world watching... complete surveillance, arrests, even car arson as a message to the leaders of certain ultra groups, they are not fucking around and will not tolerate anything even remotely similar to the clashes in France.

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

There has been a huge crackdown on hooligans in Russia; there's no way Kremlin is going to let them to be stomping on the skulls of rival fans in the Red Square in front of the whole world watching... complete surveillance, arrests, even car arson as a message to the leaders of certain ultra groups, they are not fucking around and will not tolerate anything even remotely similar to the clashes in France.

Has there?

True story here for you. You know the Spartak Moscow fan that was arrested in Munich recently for attacking an England fan and leaving him disabled in Marseille? The Police have known the identity of the bloke for months, they asked for the Russians to detain him, they wouldn’t play ball and said no. So the Police in the UK had to deal a deal with the Germans to catch the bloke because his flight to Bilbao was stopping in Munich. 

Not sure that’s a ‘crackdown’. 

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Has there?

True story here for you. You know the Spartak Moscow fan that was arrested in Munich for attacking an England fan and leaving him disabled? The Police have known the identity of the bloke for months, they asked for the Russians to detain him, they wouldn’t play ball and said no. So the Police in the UK had to deal a deal with the Germans to catch the bloke because his flight to Bilbao was stopping in Munich. 

Not sure that’s a ‘crackdown’. 

Russia's constitution prohibits extradition of their own citizens to stand trial.

And yes, there has been a huge crackdown.

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Russia's constitution prohibits extradition of their own citizens to stand trial.

Hmm, that's interesting to know. I wonder how many countries have laws such as that... i know Brazil does.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Berserker said:

Hmm, that's interesting to know. I wonder how many countries have laws such as that... i know Brazil does.

France, Germany, Austria, Vietnam, Switzerland are a few other ones I know of, I'm sure there are more though. However, many of those countries do have jurisdiction to prosecute their citizens for the crimes committed abroad.

Just now, nudge said:

France, Germany, Austria, Vietnam, Switzerland are a few other ones I know of, I'm sure there are more though. However, many of those countries do have jurisdiction to prosecute their citizens for the crimes committed abroad.

Yep, according to the wiki also Japan, China, Taiwan, Czech Rep and Syria (no mention of Vietnam though), although as you said many of them can prosecute their citizens for crimes committed abroad. And Brazil according to the wiki has many extradition treaties with countries such as Italy, which seems contradictory as for example in Robbinho's case it was said he couldn't be judged or extradited as the constitution would suggest, but then why have the treaties? perhaps they only work one way?, although i doubt any decent country would accept such an agreement. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Yep, according to the wiki also Japan, China, Taiwan, Czech Rep and Syria (no mention of Vietnam though), although as you said many of them can prosecute their citizens for crimes committed abroad. And Brazil according to the wiki has many extradition treaties with countries such as Italy, which seems contradictory as for example in Robbinho's case it was said he couldn't be judged or extradited as the constitution would suggest, but then why have the treaties? perhaps they only work one way?, although i doubt any decent country would accept such an agreement. 

They might not extradite their own citizens, but they do extradite other countries' national residing in their country, that's what those extradition treaties are for in order to make the whole process smoother... 

16 minutes ago, nudge said:

I never knew that.... 

Image result for homer when you learn something new gif

I have worked out that it's not senile dementia just the inability for my brain to retain too much information over all them years that's the problem... By learning that today I am sure I will now forget something the other half asked me to do a week ago and in due course will no doubt be told off for not doing..  xD

1 minute ago, nudge said:

They might not extradite their own citizens, but they do extradite other countries' national residing in their country, that's what those extradition treaties are for in order to make the whole process smoother... 

Yep, that's likely to be the case.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

I never knew that.... 

Image result for homer when you learn something new gif

I have worked out that it's not senile dementia just the inability for my brain to retain too much information over all them years that's the problem... By learning that today I am sure I will now forget something the other half asked me to do a week ago and in due course will no doubt be told off for not doing..  xD

France is the same, by the way, and Roman Polanski's case is probably the best example of it.

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

France is the same, by the way, and Roman Polanski's case is probably the best example of it.

I have just googled it and France are not on the list so why is that, do you know?? 

I would have thought being part of the European Union would have meant automatic inclusion into that deal??  

• Subscriber
Just now, Bluewolf said:

I have just googled it and France are not on the list so why is that, do you know?? 

I would have thought being part of the European Union would have meant automatic inclusion into that deal??  

On what list? 

France does not extradite their citizens, that's why Polanski fled the US before being sentenced, and that's how he managed to avoid extradition for decades.

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

True, I bet the Russian police take no shit.

I doubt that. In these third world-second world countries, the police can be the bad guys. Hasn't happened to me but my dad has been robbed by the police here in the Peru. I'm sure it can happen in Russia as well.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

On what list? 

France does not extradite their citizens, that's why Polanski fled the US before being sentenced, and that's how he managed to avoid extradition for decades.

Forgive me, 

The list was for deals with the US and France were not on it... I have this list now.. 

Some countries, such as Austria,[16] Brazil,[17] the Czech Republic,[18] France,[19][20] Germany,[21] Japan,[22] the People's Republic of China,[23] the Republic of China(Taiwan),[24] Russia,[25] Switzerland[26] and Syria[27] forbid extradition of their own citizens. These countries often have laws in place that give them jurisdiction over crimes committed abroad by or against citizens. By virtue of such jurisdiction, they prosecute and try citizens accused of crimes committed abroad as if the crime had occurred within the country's borders.. 

• Subscriber

Oh, this is just wikipedia listing a few examples of countries that do not extradite their own citizens, I believe, and it's surely not a full list...

France has an extradition treaty with the US, so the only thing saving Polanski's arse is his French citizenship though.

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Oh, this is just wikipedia listing a few examples of countries that do not extradite their own citizens, I believe, and it's surely not a full list...

France has an extradition treaty with the US, so the only thing saving Polanski's arse is his French citizenship though.

Yea I just pulled up a couple and both lists are different and there were a lot more on the other list... Kind of strange that something like that is still in place though for countries. You might have thought in this day and age the heart of full co-operation would be in full swing to leave serious committers of crime no-where to run but I should imagine some might prove to be good bargaining chips in the grand old game of political chess... 

It's funny because a Russian politician was saying that hooliganism itself should be a sport after Euro 16. Comments like that and Gopro videos of Russians running around France beating up any English football fans in their way and it was the English who got a bad press over it.

I'm sure the Russians will do everything in their power to make sure hooliganism doesn't take centre stage when they're hosting the biggest event in the world. With that said I'm sure they're going to stitch up England fans who attend.

Archived