talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pele: Neymar Ready to Lead Brazil

Will Neymar be the one to carry Brazil to the summit?
Neymar has changed the way he plays with the national team. He has had to. At his club side, he was playing as a left-sided attacker, whereas for Brazil, he plays more centrally, as a more traditional No10. That’s hard, but he’s managed to adapt his game. If you look around the world, the ones who stand out are Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar. There are no other superstars. The important thing is for the national team to be well organised as a group because they no longer have three or four top players for each position. The same is true of Germany, whose emphasis is more on the collective. Before, it was individuals who mattered most, but it’s changed a lot. It’s all very similar these days.

Does he look to you like he’s ready to be the leader of this team?
He’s ready, yes. He might find that the tactical switch from his club to the national team isn’t straightforward, but Neymar is Brazil’s key player. He has to prepare himself for that. And I would go further: for me, technically, he is already the best player in the world. I’m absolutely sure of that.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pelé is just protecting Brazil’s prize player which is understandable and completely normal to be honest.

Pelé’s ridiculous comments come from when for some strange reason various journalists from other countries start paying him for interviews and where one of the questions always included is what he feels said nation’s possibilities are at any given World Cup... He always answers with him believing they have a good chance of winning it which means everyone in the world could win it in the end.

Some could call this extreme diplomacy but most will say he’s selling his answers too. 

4 hours ago, Cicero said:

Not the first time he's completely discredited Messi 

Why can't more Brazilians be like Ronaldinho? 

"Messi. Always Messi" 

Ronaldinho is almost like a Godfather type character for Messi and it's understandable that he lauds him every time he can. But he isn't the only Brazilian to talk wonderment of Messi because ex Brazilian players like Edmilson, Julio Baptista, Ronaldo or Rivaldo continuously state that Messi is the greatest of all time which is something that can probably be disputable.

Pelé is an iconic figure of Brazilian football and to expect him to say anything punching Messi over Neymar would be seen as odd (especially in World Cup year).  In any case, Pelé is a rather defensive character in the sense of any player that could dispute the claim that he's the greatest of all time.  He consistently talks about the amount of goals he scored in his career which is very very disputable... He always relates that statistic when anyone is debated in a manner of the greatest ever.  To keep Messi down would come natural to the way Pelé is as a character. I don't want to make this into a thread which starts to discredit Pelé as an unethical person (of which there are various routes to this), so I'll leave it at that.

10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Nothing disputable at all. Messi is the greatest. 

It is disputable mate... I obviously didn't live the Pelé era but I did the whole of the Maradona one and the issue is debatable like Gary Lineker says in a recent interview which I posted on the Barcelona thread a few weeks back.  In saying this, for me at least, it's only between those two.

Maradona and Messi are incredibly similar, however Messi's vision and effectiveness in the final third is what separates them for me. 

Obviously ignoring the difference in goal scoring between the two, as there's no question there 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Maradona and Messi are incredibly similar, however Messi's vision and effectiveness in the final third is what separates them for me. 

Obviously ignoring the difference in goal scoring between the two, as there's no question there 

Even as a kid when watching Maradona I had thoughts of what football would be like without him. It remember thinking as he came to his twilight years as a footballer that football would die in some way... Like when you realise that dragons never existed or that wizards weren't real... As a kid that's a sort of doom and gloom scenario...  At least it was when I was a kid.

What I'm saying is that I thought I'd never see anything even close to resembling Maradona and then Messi came to exist on football pitches.  That's why I've said many times that when Messi finally hangs his boots, football everywhere will be a sadder place even if he didn't ply his trade in another league other than the one where your club resides.

Archived