MLS Q&A

football forum

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Romesh said:

@ATL

Why do teams in the Eastern Conference play those in the Western Conference and not just those in their own conference?

From my understanding, it's about accumulating enough games. Playing just 20 (each team in your own division twice), simply wouldn't be enough. Instead, you play everyone in your division twice, and then all the teams in the other conference one (moving the location from year to year). This means that the coastal teams in particularly don't have to fly all over gods country to play away matches against all of the teams on the opposite coast.

• Administrator
Just now, ATL said:

From my understanding, it's about accumulating enough games. Playing just 20 (each team in your own division twice), simply wouldn't be enough. Instead, you play everyone in your division twice, and then all the teams in the other conference one (moving the location from year to year). This means that the coastal teams in particularly don't have to fly all over gods country to play away matches against all of the teams on the opposite coast.

must be a massive trek for some teams though.

Like New York Red Bulls are playing Real Salt Lake. That's like a 5 or 6 hour flight?!

I know it's on a much smaller scale but in Australia they play each team in their division 3 times, and like you say location changing each season. 

Just now, Romesh said:

must be a massive trek for some teams though.

Like New York Red Bulls are playing Real Salt Lake. That's like a 5 or 6 hour flight?!

I know it's on a much smaller scale but in Australia they play each team in their division 3 times, and like you say location changing each season. 

Yeah - It's a hideous.

Look at Atlanta, We go to Seattle, next week to Toronto, next week to Montreal, then off to Real Salt Lake, only to come back home for one game, then off to NY and then Portland. Why we aren't playing Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver in consecutive weeks is beyond me.

4 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

With all the new teams being admitted to the MLS, will it get to a point where a promotion/relegation system will come into play or will teams just play their regional opponents rather than the East plays West games we get now?

As much as I would love for a kind of Promotion/Relegation system to become the standard here, it just won't happen. Teams that 'tank' to get a better draft position would never allow it as it would be the end of tanking, and I'm not sure how they would do a draft with new teams coming in the league.

I love the idea, it's just so foreign to this country I don't think it'll ever happen.

4 hours ago, ATL said:

As much as I would love for a kind of Promotion/Relegation system to become the standard here, it just won't happen. Teams that 'tank' to get a better draft position would never allow it as it would be the end of tanking, and I'm not sure how they would do a draft with new teams coming in the league.

I love the idea, it's just so foreign to this country I don't think it'll ever happen.

I'd guess they'd allow every team in the pyramid to participate in the draft and just have the order go from the worst team in the bottom tier to the winners of the top division. Do the team owners vote on things like this in MLS like they do in other American sports leagues? I imagine there would be some who'd want to discourage tanking at all costs, but most would want to keep that option open to them.

I really don't like the idea of having promotion/relegation in American soccer. Every league in the world does that (all of the major ones, at least) and I love the uniqueness of MLS's closed league and playoff structure.

22 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

I'd guess they'd allow every team in the pyramid to participate in the draft and just have the order go from the worst team in the bottom tier to the winners of the top division. Do the team owners vote on things like this in MLS like they do in other American sports leagues? I imagine there would be some who'd want to discourage tanking at all costs, but most would want to keep that option open to them.

I really don't like the idea of having promotion/relegation in American soccer. Every league in the world does that (all of the major ones, at least) and I love the uniqueness of MLS's closed league and playoff structure.

It would be a vote, and I would almost gaurantee it would get zero votes. It's all about the $$ and if whichever MLS team had to go down would be losing a lot of money.

The MLS seems to be in a phase of constant expansion with new franchise teams entering more often than before. How big do you reckon the league will get and will a tier with direct linkage to the league be considered in the future?

This next one isn't so much a question about the MLS but rather the NASL. Why did the NASL fail? Were the people of the USA not ready for football or was there a henuine lack of interest?

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Do you MLS people think that with more teams coming in, it means a smaller US player pool thus bringing down the overall quality of the league and then a reliance on expensive aged overseas players? Or have I got that totally wrong?

Could be. But the other side of the coin is that more MLS teams means more kids getting into soccer at an early age, and hopefully more athletes choosing the sport over others, especially with youth participation in american football declining due to safety issues.

As the league grows and becomes more lucrative, it should be able to attract more players from Latin America as well, so I don't think the player pool shrinking is a big concern.

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Question what the hell is this and why didn't you keep it :ph34r:

OH yeah, those PK's were the best. There were some tricky rules which weren't supposed to let you dribble around the keeper past a certain point.

They were brilliant though!

• 1 year later...
On 04/03/2019 at 14:06, Dr. Gonzo said:

Why doesn't San Diego have a fucking team?

Because they didn't care enough about their NFL team, and they MLB team is awful. 

Plus it's expensive so really, they just need the proper backing. 

55 minutes ago, Eco said:

Because they didn't care enough about their NFL team, and they MLB team is awful. 

Plus it's expensive so really, they just need the proper backing. 

They stopped caring about their NFL team once their owner started pushing really hard to move to LA and kept up bad faith negotiations to force the city to build them a new stadium.

So many people I know used to be Charger fans. Now they boycott the NFL.

The measure to build an MLS stadium failed pretty spectacularly. I think convincing SD or St. Louis to build a stadium for a sports team tbh. So after that measure failed I doubt they ever get a sports side as well.

Shame though as I’ve got mixed feelings on supporting an LA side.

I didn't feel like making a thread about this because... I don't really have a good reason why, maybe I should because it might more views... but I've just seen this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/mar/06/proud-boys-and-skinheads-mls-faces-an-incursion-from-the-far-right

Other than the fact that white supremacists from NYC are giving money to Arabs by going to these matches... that's a bit fucking weird right? @Eco, are NYCFC the Chelsea of the MLS?

Honestly have never heard of this, but honestly not sure why anyone would go and watch NYCFC since you can't see the field from the stands. :ph34r:

Honestly the worst stadium in the entire league and it's not even close, but yeah, I'll be more cautious about this in the future, but I have never heard about this. 

1 hour ago, Eco said:

Honestly have never heard of this, but honestly not sure why anyone would go and watch NYCFC since you can't see the field from the stands. :ph34r:

Honestly the worst stadium in the entire league and it's not even close, but yeah, I'll be more cautious about this in the future, but I have never heard about this. 

Neither had my friends. Seems a bit weird, I guess something to be wary of.

A baseball stadium seems like an awfully shite place to watch football xD

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Neither had my friends. Seems a bit weird, I guess something to be wary of.

A baseball stadium seems like an awfully shite place to watch football xD

It is. I have never been, but just watching it on TV makes my skin crawl. Fucking criminal that it's even allowed. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived