talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Plymouth Argyle in 2018

Plymouth Argyle were bottom in December but now they are in the play-off places and the form team in League One. 

Possibly the most astonishing transformation of fortunes in the Football League. They've picked up 36 points from 15 games and are on a run of six wins on the bounce. A 5000/1 shot for promotion with just eight weeks ago.

Will they finally get back to The Championship this season?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Just a typo at the end. Corrected.

Thought so. 

Anyway, that’s a hell of a run they’re on and fair play to Plymouth’s board for backing Derek Adams, they could have quite easily sacked him and many outside of the club wouldn’t have bat an eyelid at it. 

Plymouth are a funny team.  They’re not your typical ‘big’ club but having seen them a fair few times in the bottom two divisions, they’re a club with a big following and travel in numbers to away games. 

• Subscriber

Always had a soft spot for Plymouth as my mum is from down there and so follow their progress a bit.

Big club at that level with a huge catchment area, just stunted by the fact that they are so far away from everything so it’s hard to attract players to move down there.

Even when they were bottom a lot of their fans were saying they were far better than that and a number of them lumped on making the playoffs. I’ve seen a few being offered 2/3k cash outs for it now. 

A lot called for Adams head too so it’s great they stuck by him and they’ve been able to turn it around. Personally think going up would be the worst thing for them as they’d just come straight back down and lose this building block and momentum but we shall see

• Administrator

proof that giving a manager time does sometimes work!

I wouldn't say I have a soft spot for them but I sometimes look out for their results as got a mate I used to play football with who supports them and travels from here to Plymouth as much as possible. 

They are on a great run no doubt but it's funny how things change when players realise what they are playing for and how close they are to it. At some point real soon, the reality of the situation will kick in and I think they will tail off. 

Given Blackburn and Wigan will be red hot favourites to take the two automatic spots, it is a pretty level playing field after that which means a free for all for four playoff spots.

Personally, I think Rotherham are the real dark horse to keep an eye on.

Their results turned around when they signed our keeper on loan- Remi Matthews who has had rave reviews. I think before him they used about 5 keepers and it was only November, they kept getting injured or recalled by the parent club.

I'd like to see them come up. A ground i've not been to and could make a weekend of it.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
12 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Two games left. They are in 7th and were the famous 5000/1 at Christmas. Surely it's not going to happen again?!

pretty sure they can't win the Premier League mate. 

So no, it won't happen again. 

Just now, Stan said:

pretty sure they can't win the Premier League mate. 

So no, it won't happen again. 

I guess it's not the same. As Plynouth showed in the first half of the season. one side are not so quick to sack their manager after sucess.

Plymouth have a massive game tonight. Scunthorpe Away. Six pointer.

Scunthorpe are 6th, occupying the final playoff spot. Plymouth are 7th, two points behind. Win tonight and they swap places.

The game is also on Sky so could be a decent watch other than that Real v Bayern bollocks.

On 02/03/2018 at 21:42, Storts said:

Always had a soft spot for Plymouth as my mum is from down there and so follow their progress a bit.

Big club at that level with a huge catchment area, just stunted by the fact that they are so far away from everything so it’s hard to attract players to move down there.

Even when they were bottom a lot of their fans were saying they were far better than that and a number of them lumped on making the playoffs. I’ve seen a few being offered 2/3k cash outs for it now. 

A lot called for Adams head too so it’s great they stuck by him and they’ve been able to turn it around. Personally think going up would be the worst thing for them as they’d just come straight back down and lose this building block and momentum but we shall see

What's her Cornish pasty like?

One of the Scunthorpe goalscorers, Hakeeb Adelakun, used to be on our books in the naughties. He was released as he wasn't good enough and then he got himself in some pretty big trouble. In all honesty I'm quite amazed he's forged such a career for himself as I never saw him going above Bromley level. Fair play to him.

Archived