The better place to talk football.

Steve Cotterill Sacked by Birmingham City; Garry Monk Takes Over

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dan said:

Birmingham fans absolutely loathed him.

He's crap. Can't see how he's rated.

Honestly I hope they still go down, it would be hilarious to see all those fans calling us their feeder team drop down a division.

• Subscriber
42 minutes ago, Danny said:

Honestly I hope they still go down, it would be hilarious to see all those fans calling us their feeder team drop down a division.

That really is the ultimate humiliation, to sign a number of players for millions off a club for them to then beat you 5-0 that following season.

• Administrator

Still bemused me that they sacked their manager when they were 7th last season (or the season before?) and its genuinely been downhill ever since. 

6 hours ago, Dan said:

Birmingham fans absolutely loathed him.

He's crap. Can't see how he's rated.

They all wanted him for some reason initially. I don't know if there's a local or a playing affiliation but I'm struggling to see how he's been going at this level for so long. A dislikeable character that never plans long term.

• Subscriber

Always good for a stupid quote as well. I'm 24 years old, have never worked in football in my life and would never ever be stupid enough to say "we don't make those two stupid mistakes for their goals we run out 0-1 winners" and be entirely serious when doing so.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Danny said:

Proven Swansea right for sacking him.

The sacking there goes beyond just results on the pitch. 

Apparently a shareholder was having an affair with one of the players wives. Monk didn't take that players side and sided with the management/heirarchy. The players didn't like this, lost respect from the players and turned on him. 

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Danny said:

Proven Swansea right for sacking him.

Have they? They were doing awfully under him. If anything I'd criticise him before anyone else in terms of manager as it was under him they fell from a solid PL side to what they are now, which is an annual relegation battler.

Obviously it isn't just the manager but I've never really got the fuss with him. They declined under him, Leeds tailed off under him, and Middlesbrough have improved post-Monk.

Maybe I'm just harsh but I think he's very ordinary.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Stan said:

The sacking there goes beyond just results on the pitch. 

Apparently a shareholder was having an affair with one of the players wives. Monk didn't take that players side and sided with the management/heirarchy. The players didn't like this, lost respect from the players and turned on him. 

And that player returned with a Premier League winners medal xD 

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I'm pretty sure you changed your opinion when things were going well at Leeds. 

Find proof of that and I'm happy to hold my hands up. Doubt there's any out there to find though.

• Subscriber

It isn't that hard to find. If it's there of course, which he's rightly pointed out that TFF has gone.

I've got a Leeds supporting mate who was very pro-Monk originally but then turned so if I've put anything pro-Monk it's probably due to him. He's quite fickle though.

• Subscriber
Just now, Cannabis said:

Is that the same melt that rimmed Darren Randolph?

Nah he's the Liverpool / Ireland fan. I do actually respect his opinion most of the time but he comes out with some crap as well. Me and him will never ever agree on Mahrez. He can't stand him and I think he's class xD

Anyhow, as for Monk succeeding at Swansea...

8th in his first season. That's impressive and I can't knock that.

Sacked in his second season with the team 15th.

image.thumb.png.42047e4b045e7a43e59596388e0b718b.png

I can't word how bad they were at home to us that day. It was one of the easiest wins we had that year. The fans had clearly turned and as Stan pointed out things were clearly unhealthy behind the scenes. I think the players turned on him.

It's worth considering while 15th doesn't sound bad, they finished 8th, 12th, 9th and 11th the years before, and their form there is utterly terrible, one win in eleven games and that was against one of the worst Premier League sides ever.

• The title was changed to Steve Cotterill Sacked by Birmingham City; Garry Monk Takes Over
  • Subscriber

Monk is one of those "honest" British managers who comes across well and it makes you think he's better than he is when things are going alright. I'm not well read on the circumstances behind each of his sackings but it doesn't happen as often as it has for him if you have something significant about you.

Archived