talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Steve Cotterill Sacked by Birmingham City; Garry Monk Takes Over

5 hours ago, Dan said:

Nah he's the Liverpool / Ireland fan. I do actually respect his opinion most of the time but he comes out with some crap as well. Me and him will never ever agree on Mahrez. He can't stand him and I think he's class xD

Anyhow, as for Monk succeeding at Swansea...

8th in his first season. That's impressive and I can't knock that.

Sacked in his second season with the team 15th.

image.thumb.png.42047e4b045e7a43e59596388e0b718b.png

I can't word how bad they were at home to us that day. It was one of the easiest wins we had that year. The fans had clearly turned and as Stan pointed out things were clearly unhealthy behind the scenes. I think the players turned on him.

It's worth considering while 15th doesn't sound bad, they finished 8th, 12th, 9th and 11th the years before, and their form there is utterly terrible, one win in eleven games and that was against one of the worst Premier League sides ever.

The side arguement he can always use is that this was the first managerial experience he had where things were not going his way, and he should have been allowed an opportunity to rectify things. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
7 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

The side arguement he can always use is that this was the first managerial experience he had where things were not going his way, and he should have been allowed an opportunity to rectify things. 

As Stan said earlier in the thread though, I think it was more than on the pitch where Monk lost it at Swansea. I think the squad turned on him over the Nathan Dyer situation.

3 minutes ago, Dan said:

As Stan said earlier in the thread though, I think it was more than on the pitch where Monk lost it at Swansea. I think the squad turned on him over the Nathan Dyer situation.

Im aware of that and I agree, but I still think he will always use the "I should have been given a chance to turn it around" card and owners of other clubs will agree with him. 

His abrupt sacking at 'Boro after a good result is rather telling. It seems very out of character for Steve Gibson to do such a thing.

Garry Monk got us as close as we've been in years to challenging for promotion through a playoff place. Every other year, including this one, our horse has normally bolted. For 90% of the season, he had made us overachieve and surprise many. The final run in we stumbled and his character questioned.

But have to give respect to him. The criticism at him in this thread is not entirely fair, especially when he was in the running for manager of the year in the Football League. 

That said, he is a bit of a snake and not the knight in shining armour I thought he was and I'd love to see him end the season as a League One manager looking up at us than down.

• 1 month later...

I don't think enough is being made in regards to how well this appointment seems to be working. Those defending Chris Coleman should be looking at how Monk has steadied and then turned this ship that seemed just as doomed.

I fancy them to be top half / pushing for the playoffs next season providing there's no major shake ups behind the scenes. 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I don't think enough is being made in regards to how well this appointment seems to be working. Those defending Chris Coleman should be looking at how Monk has steadied and then turned this ship that seemed just as doomed.

I fancy them to be top half / pushing for the playoffs next season providing there's no major shake ups behind the scenes. 

big ask to finish top half. They've still got a lot of dross in that side and their recent transfer history has been shite. 

I agree with @BounceAroundTheGround, the talent is there to an extent with the likes of Stockdale, Dean,  Che Adams, Jota, Morrison etc. 

My personal opinion it's been ego's combined with a real bad losing mentality.

Garry Monk seems to be sorting that out, and with a couple of additions this summer, they could be a good team next season.

4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I agree with @BounceAroundTheGround, the talent is there to an extent with the likes of Stockdale, Dean,  Che Adams, Jota, Morrison etc. 

My personal opinion it's been ego's combined with a real bad losing mentality.

Garry Monk seems to be sorting that out, and with a couple of additions this summer, they could be a good team next season.

He does, but then again so did Redknapp really. 

• Subscriber

He's done well but that squad should never be that low down in the first place.

Redknapp is an absolute disgrace to the sport. The wages their players are on are unbelievable. Reckless.

Cannot compare Brum to Sunderland.

This Brum side took three midtable-play off contending quality players off of us and I'm sure we're not the only ones they've bought players from.

I don't think Monk will get them relegated but I don't think he'll get them promoted the next season or two either. The more money bag teams in this division the better imo.

3 hours ago, Danny said:

Cannot compare Brum to Sunderland.

This Brum side took three midtable-play off contending quality players off of us and I'm sure we're not the only ones they've bought players from.

I don't think Monk will get them relegated but I don't think he'll get them promoted the next season or two either. The more money bag teams in this division the better imo.

Sunderland took Prestons best player, a guy scoring for fun at Aston Villa, and a winger that's spent almost his entire career in The Premier League. Just like Birmingham, they have a good team on paper and both Monk and Coleman would have had matching ambitions when they took over their clubs.

Archived