talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wesley Sneijder Retires from International Football

Wesley Sneijder has announced his retirement from international football following a visit from new Netherlands manager Ronald Koeman.

The former Everton and Southampton boss travelled to Qatar to visit Sneijder, who now plays club football for Al Gharafa, to discuss his international future.

Following their discussions, Sneijder said: "When I left, I knew, of course, the influence that this move to Qatar could have on my career as an international.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great servant to Dutch football and part of the 'golden generation' which really and truly should have had a major title to their name. I have a lot of respect for him as a player because he always seemed a brilliant professional.

He will be missed by them but it is a new era for them now and Koeman has a big job to do in making them a force again by bringing through the next Wesley Sneijder's of the world.

Great player, He was very technically gifted and scored some absolute screamers during his career. I remember growing up when players like Sneijder, Van Der Vaart, Robben, Van Persie were coming through for holland. What a fantastic set of attacking talent they had during that period, and of course the unsung hero Dirk Kuyt.

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I'd agree should he of actually contributed during the world cup 

Do you remember that WC for Argentina? xD Let me check for you, Maradona selected: Martin Palermo, JS Veron, Javier Pastore (0 caps), Jonas Gutierrez, Clemente Rodriguez, Ariel Garce, Mario Bolatti, Angel di Maria (7 caps) and Nicolas Otamendi. A blind idiot could have lead Argentina to the World Cup, hell even @Berserker could have and that is saying a lot. Geez, he even left out Esteban Cambiasso, Javier Zanetti, Lucho Gonzalez, Pablo Aimar, Sergio Aguero, and even Gago would have been a decent selection.

Aimar - Milito - Messi
Camibasso - Lucho
Mascherano
Heinze - Samuel - Burdisso - Zanetti
Any Idiot

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Do you remember that WC for Argentina? xD Let me check for you, Maradona selected: Martin Palermo, JS Veron, Javier Pastore (0 caps), Jonas Gutierrez, Clemente Rodriguez, Ariel Garce, Mario Bolatti, Angel di Maria (7 caps) and Nicolas Otamendi. A blind idiot could have lead Argentina to the World Cup, hell even @Berserker could have and that is saying a lot. Geez, he even left out Esteban Cambiasso, Javier Zanetti, Lucho Gonzalez, Pablo Aimar, Sergio Aguero, and even Gago would have been a decent selection.

Aimar - Milito - Messi
Camibasso - Lucho
Mascherano
Heinze - Samuel - Burdisso - Zanetti
Any Idiot

Fuck off you fucking mong. :D

Also Milito was another one who didn't deliver with the NT. Higuain was better than him and was the starter, he also had a great WC scoring 4 goals (only 1 behind the top scorers having played much less matches). I do agree with the ones he didn't take, and i'd also add D'alessandro, with him Aimar we had two of the best playmakers in the world, and we wasted them. And Ariel Garce was a pisstake, it's like England taking Wane Shaw.

19 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Fuck off you fucking mong. :D

Also Milito was another one who didn't deliver with the NT. Higuain was better than him and was the starter, he also had a great WC scoring 4 goals (only 1 behind the top scorers having played much less matches). I do agree with the ones he didn't take, and i'd also add D'alessandro, with him Aimar we had two of the best playmakers in the world, and we wasted them. And Ariel Garce was a pisstake, it's like England taking Wane Shaw.

At the time we wouldn't have known that Milito would under perform and Higuian would play well. Only that half the team Maradona chose was past their use by dates or were never great to start with. I will never understand the rationale of not taking Zanetti and Cambiasso at least. I don't have any feelings about Argentina either way but this is always something that makes me mad thinking about.

Think about this; Sergio Romero nearly has twice the amount of caps as Cambiasso. That GK has played more for his country in five years than club.

Archived