talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tuesday 6th March - Paris Saint-Germain (2) 1-2 (5) Real Madrid (2nd Leg)

I'm not a fan of European football much to be honest, but I really hope this puts an end to the myth that the UCL is won with money. Its more of a mix between your young talent and what you spend it on, instead of just solely based on spending for talent.

Look at City. Guardiola is doing a tremendous job there but its not just because of how much he spent. Its true he has a lot of resources at his disposal, but at the same time players like Sane, Jesus and to an extent even Sterling have been geled by Pep himself. He didn't shoehorn them in all at once and gave them minutes slowly to glue them all in and nurture a side for the future. Look how its worked for them.

PSG just signed players with a high profile name and put them all in the team expecting instant success, and it just doesn't work like that I'm afraid. I see performances like this and it makes me think that PSG just don't work as a team. This is also down to Emery himself, but I don't think its entirely his fault. I think the owners don't understand how football works. Another piece of proof is that they wanted to replace Emery mid season with Mourinho because "names".

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now they can all happily go back to their Ligue 1 where Neymar can pull wonderful rainbow moves against Lille, Nice and Rennes while Cavani can score shit ton of goals and fire imaginary arrows at the fans.

8 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Verratti deserves more than this. 

Will be out of this hell at Barca soon enough. 

PSG is a trap, once you get there is no way out. The usual tactics used by agents to make a club release a player don't work. @SirBalon and I agree oh that matter. It is impossible to leave that club against the wish of their owners.

In the end, Verratti gave up, fired his agent and agreed to an extension. That is why Barcelona is close to sign Arthur, from Grêmio.

2 minutes ago, El_Loco said:

PSG is a trap, once you get there is no way out. The usual tactics used by agents to make a club release a player don't work. @SirBalon and I agree oh that matter. It is impossible to leave that club against the wish of their owners.

In the end, Verratti gave up, fired his agent and agreed to an extension. That is why Barcelona is close to sign Arthur, from Grêmio.

PSG is a gilded cage. They'll make you rich. And they'll also make it so other clubs can't afford your wages.

If I was Verratti, getting paid massively more than any other club can pay me and winning the domestic league almost every season in a nice city like Paris, then I would not move anywhere else. xD

Just now, Asura said:

If I was Verratti, getting paid massively more than any other club can pay me and winning the domestic league almost every season in a nice city like Paris, then I would not move anywhere else. xD

Pfff, I'd take living in Barcelona or Munich any day of the week. 

1 minute ago, Asura said:

And watch fellow compatriots and players similar to your ability or even less, when major honors?

Think there may be some pride at stake. 

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

Game over. Not only is it probably the end of Emery, but the end of these owners too.

You think a Qatari investment firm will back out after spending a ridiculous sum? They're in the football business for a lot of reasons and I don't think they'll pull the plug just yet.

7 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Pfff, I'd take living in Barcelona or Munich any day of the week. 

All im trying to say is its not that bad in Paris for him. Money talks in many cases. 

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

And watch fellow compatriots and players similar to your ability or even less, when major honors?

Think there may be some pride at stake. 

Yeah its a balance, depends on what the player wants. Im trying to say its not that bad, he is still winning domestic league almost every season also probably their cup. Its not like going to Barcelona or other club will guarantee him european success although it boosts the chances. He is getting paid massively, more than what Barcelona or the likes can afford and still winning something. 

Its kind of ironic isn't it? PSG destroyed the transfer market with the Neymar deal with these jokes of prices on players and it results on them getting knocked out in the round of 16. Not only did they ridicule themselves, but they killed a part of football in the process.

Get it sorted UEFA.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

You think a Qatari investment firm will back out after spending a ridiculous sum? They're in the football business for a lot of reasons and I don't think they'll pull the plug just yet.

They've been seeing the same shit season by season. I'm hoping its the end of them anyways. They've been a part of the money dominance killing football further.

I wanted PSG to win the tie originally but after looking deeper into it, I'm glad as hell RM won, even if I despise them as well.

Just now, Blue said:

They've been seeing the same shit season by season. I'm hoping its the end of them anyways. They've been a part of the money dominance killing football further.

I wanted PSG to win the tie originally but after looking deeper into it, I'm glad as hell RM won, even if I despise them as well.

The money is nothing to them though - they're oil barons it's just a drop in the bucket for them. I don't like them either, but I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

The money is nothing to them though - they're oil barons it's just a drop in the bucket for them. I don't like them either, but I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon.

I was more going onto the fact that they can get bored. I'm not convinced these owners are football fans based on their understanding of the game.

Just now, Blue said:

I was more going onto the fact that they can get bored. I'm not convinced these owners are football fans based on their understanding of the game.

Arab football culture is different. They absolutely love football. But they don't so much care for specific clubs, like say supporting their hometown club - which is something you'd see in other Middle Eastern cultures like Iran, where people support their local clubs pretty fondly (or at least the fans of the big clubs lol).

Arab football culture is about supporting the individual players  - specifically the superstars. And to be honest, that's not really even unique to Arab football culture. In America as well, I think it's more likely you'll find people who love the sport but are more fans of particular players than the clubs themselves.

PSG want to be one of those sides chock full of super stars. And because they're in Ligue 1, players like Neymar are going to look absolutely outstanding against their opposition. I don't think that's the only reason they own the club, but I think it's a substantial reason.

And while immediate success is nice, but they've got to be grounded as they're trying to build up a team from a weaker league to compete with the European giants. Manchester Citeh have tried this, and in a stronger league, and Citeh look incredible but even they haven't had the success in Europe PSG are hoping for. It would be really short sighted, which is not a train you find in billionaire investors investments, to back out now.

Just now, HK85 said:

Hoddle mentioned it and he's right, Madrid only have this to play for so will be dangerous, again. 

Madrid will always be dangerous in Europe. Especially with a manager that's won it the two years prior - even if he's struggling domestically this year.

• The title was changed to Tuesday 6th March - Paris Saint-Germain (2) 1-2 (5) Real Madrid (2nd Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived