talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wednesday 7th March - Tottenham (3) 1-2 (4) Juventus (2nd Leg)

1 minute ago, Stan said:

he is a poor option. 

He's been shite at Spurs. Best it gets for him is a hat-trick against the mighty Rochdale. 

He can be used off the bench with his heading ability in a crisis like the one Spurs found themselves in yesterday.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I wouldn't say that although Llorente isn't what he was for sure.  I remember Llorente scoring twice against Real Madrid for Juventus in the Champions League.

Well maybe Juve knew how to use him. For Spurs he has been poor.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

He can be used off the bench with his heading ability in a crisis like the one Spurs found themselves in yesterday.

And how did that pan out :)? 

16 hours ago, Dan said:

They had that one firmly in their hands and totally blew it. It's the same story with Spurs. A lot of promise but ultimately fall short when it matters most.

I don't often disagree with you, but I do here.

Spurs may have gotten an away draw, and while I did think Spurs would progress, I said at the end of the last match that the tie was far from over and Juventus albeit bottled the home leg, they are still a better side than Spurs and could've won at Wembley if they wanted to, and that's what they did. 

They fell short but at the end of the day, they lost to Juve. Not Sunderland or Getafe.

Juve showed great character to come back into after looking unlikely of conjuring up anything in the first half. Dybala showing what he's about but Higuain is now finally starting to score goals in Champions league knockouts. Those 2 and Chilleini(who is arguably the world's best defender) in particular could make a real difference for the Italians in this Champions league.

Tbf to @Storts there's no fucking shame in your side narrowly getting knocked out of Europe to a European giant at all. It's disappointing to see the bottling, I'm sure, but I'm sure he'd take a narrow knockout to a European giant over getting spanked by them.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Blue said:

I don't often disagree with you, but I do here.

Spurs may have gotten an away draw, and while I did think Spurs would progress, I said at the end of the last match that the tie was far from over and Juventus albeit bottled the home leg, they are still a better side than Spurs and could've won at Wembley if they wanted to, and that's what they did. 

They fell short but at the end of the day, they lost to Juve. Not Sunderland or Getafe.

For me, it went like this.

Tie is drawn - Juventus slight favourites.

Juventus 2-2 Tottenham - Tottenham favourites.

Tottenham 1-0 Juventus HT - Tottenham even stronger favourites.

Tottenham 1-2 Juventus - Juventus through.

Tottenham did very well for nearly all of that tie. They did a lot of the hard bit. They still lost.

I think the Tottenham bottlejob narrative is slightly overplayed and I think a lot of it is due to selective memory and bumping expectations of them too high.

But in this case, for me, they bottled it.

• Subscriber

I won't rib Storts over it. He was good about us. I'll admit there's plenty who I'm happy to see made idiots of in this game (Hoddle and Jenas spring to mind) but Storts, I can't do it to him.

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Dan said:

I won't rib Storts over it. He was good about us. I'll admit there's plenty who I'm happy to see made idiots of in this game (Hoddle and Jenas spring to mind) but Storts, I can't do it to him.

Agreed. 

• Subscriber

Hard one this to know exactly how I feel because we were on top of the tie over both legs for about 80% but we were undone by a team far more experienced than ours in these situations. I'd disagree with the bottle job stuff (seems to be thrown around every time we lose) more so than other club which is a bit bizarre when in fact we just lost a game of football to a very good team, he had a clinical 5 minute spell which killed us off.

Whilst we should have gone through, and had the chances to do so, ultimately we've taken big steps in the competition this year, topping the group as we did, beating the holders, battling back in Turin. We showed that we are at that level, and can compete in the tournament.

No point really analysing the game too much - we should have been more than 1-0 up at HT, and then we had the agony of that last minute chance against the post. In these games though Poch still has a lot to learn. Allegri made his changes and won Juve the game. Poch didn't react quick enough, or actually he should have got in there first. Dembele was struggling at 60 minutes. Should have come off for Wanyama. And we should have shut up shop more. Take the sting out the game, little defensive and time wasting tricks that Juve did after they went ahead. We're not good enough at that, but it's why I don't believe the bottle job narrative. If anything we weren't conservative enough after going 1-0 up, we kept going for it, which is admirable but not tactically savvy in this situation. 

Big task now is to qualify again next year, because that's what we need going forward, consistent appearances in the competition. Man City with all their money etc. took years to do anything in the Champions League - I'm not dissatisfied with what I've seen, just disappointed that we let a tie slip against a European powerhouse that ultimately we should have won.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived