talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Serbia - Dark Horses?

Winners of the 2015 World Cup and now the likes of Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, Andrija Zivkovic, Marco Grujic, Milos Velijkovic and Nemanja Maksimovic are all three years older and wiser. In a group with Costa Rica, Switzerland and Brazil could Serbia be a surprise package during the group stages.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Would it really be deemed a surprise if they did better than Costa Rica and Switzerland?

Switzerland are usually a safe bet when it comes to playing well in the group stage and then falter at any knockout stage. Then there's Costa Rica who shocked everybody last time.

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

Good individual players, but it's going to be a monumental challenge for Krstajic to make them work as a team... They look pretty good in midfield and upfront, but their defense is not working particularly well, and given their tendency to fall apart completely after going a goal or two down, it might be a huge problem. Still could see them finishing second in the group, if everything goes right. A lot will depend on the outcome of the match against Costa Rica.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Serbia 3-0 up against Bolivia inside 25 minutes, Mitro with 2.

Could be even higher if it wasn't for Serbia's final pass being so frustrating on many occasions...

1 minute ago, Stan said:

I guess Bolivia aren't used to playing at normal ground levels then

Bolivia when they don't play in altitude often sit back the entire match, and are usually very good at it as they are always well positioned. If they concede one its because of a penalty or a poor clearance. When they open themselves up, they massively expose their limitations and get battered. 

They are shithouses, but it just goes to show that even playing them at home in South America isn't easy. They are a tough side to beat when they decide to sit back. Ask us, Colombia, Chile and Argentina.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Bolivia when they don't play in altitude often sit back the entire match, and are usually very good at it as they are always well positioned. If they concede one its because of a penalty or a poor clearance. When they open themselves up, they massively expose their limitations and get battered. 

They are shithouses, but it just goes to show that even playing them at home in South America isn't easy. They are a tough side to beat when they decide to sit back. Ask us, Colombia, Chile and Argentina.

They are sitting back, about 30% of ball control and not a single shot taken, and they still leave way too much space for Serbian players... Serbia should have scored at least two more at this point.

Just now, nudge said:

They are sitting back, about 30% of ball control and not a single shot taken, and they still leave way too much space for Serbian players... Serbia should have scored at least two more at this point.

Bad game from them then. They are usually consistent at giving other teams little to no space but they have their shockers (like vs Brazil). 

I just looked at their lineup and have most of their key players (Arce, Campos, Raldes) but they are missing both of their 2 best in Chumacero and Marcelo Moreno.

• Subscriber
Just now, Blue said:

Bad game from them then. They are usually consistent at giving other teams little to no space but they have their shockers (like vs Brazil). 

I just looked at their lineup and have most of their key players (Arce, Campos, Raldes) but they are missing both of their 2 best in Chumacero and Marcelo Moreno.

Marcelo Moreno? I remember him, played for us for a few months on loan from Shakhtar :D He was shockingly bad :ph34r:

Meanwhile, it's 4-0, Ivanovic.

Just now, nudge said:

Marcelo Moreno? I remember him, played for us for a few months on loan from Shakhtar :D He was shockingly bad :ph34r:

Meanwhile, it's 4-0, Ivanovic.

It might be a friendly but I'm loving this. Everyone hates playing Bolivia in South America because at home, you're under the pressure of not getting 3 important points and they just sit back and waste as much time as possible, where as at home they kill you on the break when you're out of air. Hence my laughter.

Marcelo Moreno had his good moments when he was in Brazil, but he's not a great player. He'll get the job done in La Paz and that's it. I think he plays in the second tier of China now xD

I forgot to mention Nudge, the trick to smashing Bolivia is scoring an early goal - do that and you're home free.

every world cup i see the African Nations as literal and figuratively DARK horses.    Senegal in 2002 was good, i hope they'll do well again this year.

but back on thread -  Brazil, Swiss, Serbia and Costa Rica.

serbia's qualifying group isn't that strong but the Swiss gave the defending Euro Champions a run for their money in their group.   so, i say, no.   it would be Brazil and the watch makers that would go thru .....

Archived