talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Los Angeles FC & Will Ferrell

Former Chicago Fire and Houston Dynamo forward Calen Carr says the more Will Ferrell gets involved with Los Angeles FC, the bigger the benefit is for Major League Soccer.

Hollywood star and co-owner of LAFC, Ferrell, was in attendance as the expansion side began life in Major League soccer with a 1-0 win over Seattle Sounders.

Carr believes Ferrell's involvement is only going to help the division continue to grow.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 18:53, Danny said:

He has history with the whole "I believe that we will win" thing with the US national team at the World Cup so I'm not surprised he has an interest in "Soccer".

That was such a stupid chant.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

You lads really come off as anti-american sometimes.

Culture clash, Americans in general are a weird breed (no offence to the ones on here cos they're class) but it's definitely something I've noticed travelling.

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Spike said:

You lads really come off as anti-american sometimes.

I don't think we dislike Americans as such but I do think when it comes to sport, Britain and America have extremely different perspectives.

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

When it comes to sport, America is absolutely embarrassing.

However, Americans themselves are lovely people on the most part.

No. You lot just have unrealistic expectations you are so up your own arses about European sports (actually just one sport), that anything different you cry out 'cringe'. I tell you what is embarassing criticising Americans for singing at games and criticising them for not singing at games. It in the same breathe you will also claim that the atmosphere at X club is dead. Make yer fucking minds up

You know what is cringe? Whoring out one of the most storied and proud leagues to the world to highest cable TV bidder, selling the clubs out to foreign investors, allowing middle-eastern dictators run clubs, Russian gangsters, SEA billionaires, favouring foreigners to locals, plastering adverts all over jerseys, actually fucking arguing over which adverts look best on shirts (duur I like the Mars Napoli shirt but fuck NFL too many ads XD), having organised fights based on clubs, arguing over shirt numbers, arguing over shirts tucked/untucked, FIFA kissing Qatar's arse... The fact that Europeans are blind to the absolute embarssement the sport of football is in, is the worst. American sports have stupid shit like this too, but Europe is a whole new can of worms.

4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

It's not our fault that all the good sports come from Europe. 

Football > Soccer

Rugby > American Football

Cricket > Baseball

F1 > NASCAR

Do I need to go on? It's not arrogant it's just fact. 

If someone can't appreciate the different sports on their own merit they are just a moron. It isn't a competion betweeen sports. lol what a stereotypical view point from both sides of the coin. This is literally what a dudebro braindead American would aay juat with the arrows flipped. Except they'd call football a faggot's sport.

Any real fan of motorsports appreciates both Nascar and F1, 

• Subscriber

@Spike is revved up here.

The way all American sports are franchised and bullshit like having "drafts" to pick players along with stuff like half time shows in what's meant to be a sporting event are all reasons why American sport gets laughed at. Shame that the Premier League is starting to go the same way as you said. Half time shows in the Champions League final and World Cup final soon no doubt too.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

You know what is cringe? Whoring out one of the most storied and proud leagues to the world to highest cable TV bidder, selling the clubs out to foreign investors, allowing middle-eastern dictators run clubs, Russian gangsters, SEA billionaires, favouring foreigners to locals, plastering adverts all over jerseys, actually fucking arguing over which adverts look best on shirts (duur I like the Mars Napoli shirt but fuck NFL too many ads XD), having organised fights based on clubs, arguing over shirt numbers, arguing over shirts tucked/untucked, FIFA kissing Qatar's arse... The fact that Europeans are blind to the absolute embarssement the sport of football is in, is the worst. American sports have stupid shit like this too, but Europe is a whole new can of worms.

Did you compare kit sponsors to having to sit through shitloads of commercials in an NFL game? That's a bit silly. And I like the NFL, but you can tell American football doesn't need to have so many fucking ads because college football doesn't have those ads and while the standard of play in college football is definitely worse... the games have much better flow. Also interrupting a F1 Grand Prix for showing ads is unacceptable.

I do agree that the way whoring out football to the rest of the world has been bad for the sport. Ultimately, most of what's wrong with all sporting is the television companies that do the broadcasting. But without whoring out to these people and advertisers, the money will dry up. And people are shitty and greedy, the sport will never be more pure or as pure as it was in the past ever again. No sport will be, I'm sure of that.

33 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The way all American sports are franchised and bullshit like having "drafts" to pick players along with stuff like half time shows in what's meant to be a sporting event are all reasons why American sport gets laughed at. Shame that the Premier League is starting to go the same way as you said. Half time shows in the Champions League final and World Cup final soon no doubt too.

I'd fucking hate that. Sports need less pageantry, not shitloads more of it.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

The drafts only work in an American style of sports. It is ultimately healthy for the sports as it can guarantee that teams with good scouting always get a shot at obtaining good players, and it prevents moneybag teams from steamrolling other teams. While I can appreciate that it seems odd from a club perspective but the franchise system in America has really helped player protection in terms of pay and contracts, as they employed by the governing body not the franchise, just different teams have rights to contracts, that is why trades happen. There is a reason why there was never a need for a Bosman incident in the States. 

The only spectacle with 'half time shows' is really the Superbowl. I really don't know where this 'Americans have half-time shows' myth came from.  I mean the Blackhawks have 'Shoot the Puck' but it usually isn't televised and it is usually a kid or some person raising money for a charity that gets to stand out on the ice for a few minutes and gets to shoot the puck for prizes; that is pretty cool if you ask me.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Did you compare kit sponsors to having to sit through shitloads of commercials in an NFL game? That's a bit silly. And I like the NFL, but you can tell American football doesn't need to have so many fucking ads because college football doesn't have those ads and while the standard of play in college football is definitely worse... the games have much better flow. Also interrupting a F1 Grand Prix for showing ads is unacceptable.

That isn't the point I'm making. Our eyes are being smashed with adverts either way, one is more intrusive and the other more subtle. We are obliterated with consumerism. But hey my Cubs shirt has no adverts on it, my Chelsea one though... At least when I'm out repping the Cubs, I'm doing exactly that, not a walking billboard for Samsung.

Just now, Spike said:

That isn't the point I'm making. Our eyes are being smashed with adverts either way, one is more intrusive and the other more subtle. We are obliterated with consumerism. But hey my Cubs shirt has no adverts on it, my Chelsea one though... At least when I'm out repping the Cubs, I'm doing exactly that, not a walking billboard for Samsung.

But you could just buy a Chelsea t-shirt with the club logo if you want a Chelsea shirt. You don't need to pay for an overpriced polyester advertisement just because Chelsea play in it. It'll be outdated soon too - I liked getting the club shirt when I was a kid, but somewhere in my teens I realised it was just a waste of money. And you're essentially paying to be an advert for the club's corporate sponsor.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But you could just buy a Chelsea t-shirt with the club logo if you want a Chelsea shirt. You don't need to pay for an overpriced polyester advertisement just because Chelsea play in it. It'll be outdated soon too - I liked getting the club shirt when I was a kid, but somewhere in my teens I realised it was just a waste of money. And you're essentially paying to be an advert for the club's corporate sponsor.

I haven't bought one for years. The point wasn't just for me, I rarely wear sports fan clothes but many others do.

• The title was changed to Los Angeles FC & Will Ferrell

Archived