talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England's Participation This Summer

"I think we will have to have a serious conversation about our engagement with Russia and, for my own part, I think it will be very difficult to see how we can, thinking ahead to the World Cup this summer, I think it will be very difficult to imagine that UK representation at that event could go ahead in the normal way and we will certainly have to consider that."

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

pretty sure he meant dignitaries, not the actual team.

should probably add some context regardless that this is in the aftermath of a Russian spy being poisoned in Salisbury.

10 hours ago, Stan said:

pretty sure he meant dignitaries, not the actual team.

should probably add some context regardless that this is in the aftermath of a Russian spy being poisoned in Salisbury.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a potentially good story :readthemessage:

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Don't let the truth get in the way of a potentially good story :readthemessage:

Didn't know you worked for The S*n! 

England's football team will still go to the World Cup in Russia this summer, unless the Football Association are told directly by Government that they are not to attend, Sky Sports News understands.

The FA are in regular contact with the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, but Sky Sports News have been told there have been no emergency discussions following the poisoning of the former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter in Salisbury.

The FA is adamant that international relations with Russia are none of its business, and will leave those political considerations to Government.

5 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

As if the Russians care if we go or not. 

Get fucked.

I mean they do want to host tournaments so fans come into the country and spend money. No England likely means significantly fewer England fans (if any at all, although I'm sure some will want to just go for the experience of a World Cup). I think if the FA was instructed by the government to pull out of the tournament, we'd likely get FIFA banning England from tournaments for a while though - mixing politics and football and all that.

• 2 weeks later...

Russia's ambassador to the UK, Alexander Yakovenko, has assured England fans they will be safe at the World Cup this summer despite the current political hostility between the two countries.

Relations between Russia and the UK are strained in the wake of the alleged poisoning of former Russian spy Sergei Skripal in Salisbury, and British Prime Minister Theresa May has confirmed that no ministers or members of the Royal Family will attend the World Cup.

Concerns have been raised for the safety of travelling England supporters this summer, after violent clashes between Russian and English fans marred Euro 2016 in France.

Archived