talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jorge Mendes at Wolves

The EFL Board will discuss on Thursday whether Wolves' ownership structure breaks the league's strict rules on third-party ownership, Sky Sports News understands.

Wolves, who currently sit six points clear at the top of the Sky Bet Championship, are adamant they have not broken any rules.

The EFL have told Sky Sports News that they are aware of the concerns of some other Championship clubs and added that they are presently dealing with those concerns.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cardiff manager Neil Warnock insists Sky Bet Championship leaders Wolves should be allowed to sign who they want, even suggesting he would not be bothered if they bought the world's most expensive player, Neymar.

The EFL revealed on Thursday it will meet with Wolves to discuss their ownership structure after a number of Championship sides queried the club's relationship with super-agent Jorge Mendes.

Mendes works closely with Fosun International, the Chinese company which owns and runs Wolves with the Portuguese having also initially advised them to buy the club

• 1 month later...

The EFL has cleared Wolves of any wrongdoing regarding agent Jorge Mendes' role at Wolves.

Wolves faced questions from rival Championship clubs last month while Sky Sports News saw extracts of a letter from Leeds owner Andrea Radrizzani to the EFL and the FA demanding clarification of the working relationship between Wolves and agent Mendes.

After a 'comprehensive review', league officials have determined Mendes holds no official role at the club, owned by Fosun International, and is not deemed as a 'relevant person' and therefore will not be subject to the Owners' and Directors' Test.

I quite like when a club exploit a loophole or in this case, attack a target by the angle of using the top Agent in the game to fill ones club with much better options than they would have got without that contact.

For me, this is far more acceptable than a certain two clubs taking no notice of a financial fair play rule. I dont care what anyone says, there are clubs who are not keeping within the rules, yet, for whatever reason, up to now, nothing is done about it. (Yes I fully understand the irony of a Chelsea fan flagging up money clubs. However, we didnt break any rules)

Still, all power to Wolves. A welcome name will re-appear in the Premier League. This time there will be more interest in them from all others because of the subject of this thread.

Archived