talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

78 - 1978 was the year where Tunisia became the first African team to win a World Cup match.

77 - The amount of countries that have participated in a World Cup.

76 - In 1976 in Rio de Janeiro, a boy was born by the name of Ronaldo Luis Nazario de Lima.

75 - In 1975 everybody's favourite team won the Copa America, Peru.

74 Days....

In 1974, artists from seven countries submitted a total of 53 designs for a new trophy, with Italian Silvia Gazzaniga winning the vote.

dip60dexqcmzp7q8ds3j.jpg.2a1604064bdc32f64e1b8995a1915e2c.jpg

“The lines spring out from the base, rising in spirals, stretching out to receive the world,

"From the remarkable dynamic tensions of the compact body of the sculpture rise the figures of two athletes at the stirring moment of victory.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

43 days!

Only 45 more (I think) til I can finally see my beloved country in the tournament we've oh so long waited for.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

43 days!

Only 45 more (I think) til I can finally see my beloved country in the tournament we've oh so long waited for.

Enjoy it while you can, with the expansion you will get bored seeing Peru at every World Cup now and then :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Blue said:

43 days!

Where you watching the game mate? I love international tournaments down the pub

3 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I was hungover for four straight days, by then I lost the will to live. :(

World cup is gonna be hard for you then you won't have recovered by the next game :banana:

The World Cuuuuuuuuup, the World Cuuuuuuuup

We'll return to the World Cuuuuup

Peru, will win, until Russia we will go

The World Cuuuuuuuuup, the World Cuuuuuuuup

We'll return to the World Cuuuuup

Peru, will win, until Russia we will go

Lets go Peru with pride and honour, lets go Peru for our bicolor

Lets go Peru with spirit, courage and love

• 2 weeks later...

@The Palace Fan I'm taking over this thread :ph34r:

30 days to go: Diop sinks Les Bleus

30 - the number of minutes that had elapsed on the clock at the Seoul World Cup Stadium on 31 May 2002 when Senegal’s Pape Bouba Diop scored the only goal of their Group A match against France, capitalising on a mix-up between Emmanuel Petit and Fabien Barthez.

The goal went down in history as Senegal’s first at the FIFA World Cup™ and it allowed the Lions of Teranga to mark their tournament debut with a famous victory against the reigning world and European champions, who went into the competition as firm favourites.

It was a defeat that weighed heavy on Roger Lemerre’s men. Denied the services of Zinedine Zidane, who had picked up a thigh injury a few days earlier, the French also went without scoring in their next two matches and finished bottom of the section. As for Bruno Metsu’s charges, they took second place in the pool behind Denmark and enjoyed further success by reaching the quarter-finals, where they faced Turkey and went out to an extra-time golden goal.

5 minutes ago, JuliKornilina said:

fans have already gotten their FabIDs

Is that something we can get a vaccination for before we go to Russia and if we get it, is there a cure? O.o

Sounds terrible!

29 days to go: Scoring sensations

29 players from 19 countries have had the honour of being the leading or joint-leading goalscorer at the 20 previous editions of the FIFA World Cup™. Argentina’s Guillermo Stabile was the first of them, courtesy of the eight goals he scored at the inaugural world finals at Uruguay 1930, while Colombia’s James Rodriguez was the latest to join that list, thanks to his six-goal haul at Brazil 2014.

France’s Just Fontaine still holds the record for the most goals scored at a single World Cup: 13 at Sweden 1958. Gerd Muller ran him close in grabbing ten goals to help West Germany finish third at Mexico 1970, while the scoring honours were very evenly shared at Chile 1962, with six players sharing top spot with four goals apiece.

At every World Cup between Argentina 1978 and France 1998, the leading goalscorers each struck six goals. Mario Kempes started the trend, with Paolo Rossi continuing it at Spain 1982, followed by Gary Lineker at Mexico 1986, Salvatore Schillaci at Italy 1990, Oleg Salenko and Hristo Stoichkov at USA 1994, and Davor Suker in France. Brazil striker Ronaldo then raised the bar once more with eight goals at Korea/Japan 2002.

Ronaldo’s overall tally of 15 World Cup goals beat the record set by Muller in 1974 and stood until 2014, when Germany’s Miroslav Klose struck the 16th goal of a career that spanned four consecutive world finals. Just for good measure, Klose also bowed out with a World Cup winners’ medal in Brazil.

• 6 months later...
2 minutes ago, Blue said:

It's like when I went to Brazil in 2015, they were still constructing the airport in Bahia for the World Cup... if it already happened xD

Well that just looks out of place now xD

Archived