talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Glenn Murray for England

GARETH SOUTHGATE is considering a sensational England call-up for Glenn Murray.

The Brighton striker is 34 years old but has scored 11 Premier League goals this season.

The national boss will name his squad next Thursday for the friendlies with Holland and Italy and is seriously thinking about giving Murray a chance because his striker options are so limited.

Murray being given an England call-up has been discussed by football fans for weeks without anyone giving him a proper chance of making a squad.

England travel to Holland on March 23 and entertain Italy four days later.

Southgate has continually insisted he will reward players who are in good form.

He will make a final decision after this weekend’s games with Murray and his Brighton team travelling to Everton.

Incredibly, he is joint eighth in the League scoring charts alongside Chelsea’s Eden Hazard.

And Murray has scored the same number of Premier League goals as Tammy Abraham, Marcus Rashford and Danny Welbeck combined.

Abraham, with four goals this season, has failed to find the net on loan at Swansea after being handed his England chance against both Germany and Brazil in September.

Arsenal striker Welbeck has scored three times but not found the net in the League since September while United star Rashford is not a guaranteed starter for Jose Mourinho.

An England call-up for former Carlisle and Rochdale striker Murray would be incredible when you consider he only rejoined Brighton after a disastrous spell at Bournemouth.

Murray scored again in Sunday’s 2-1 win against Brighton but the major concern for Southgate is his obvious lack of pace.

Since Arsenal’s Leslie Compton made his England debut aged 38 in 1950, the oldest player to make his bow since was Bolton’s Kevin Davies.

The striker was aged 33 when he faced Montenegro in 2010 after replacing Peter Crouch as a substitute.

Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy are certain to be in Southgate’s World Cup squad – as will Rashford.

But the Three Lions are still struggling for options outside with 35-year-old Jermain Defoe – who has been picked by Southgate – suffering with his form at Bournemouth.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Kane will play every minute, Vardy is a capable impact player. Do you need more strikers than that? Maybe one more in case there's an injury? Where are all the actually decent young English strikers after Kane? Time for Calvert-Lewin and Solanke to kick on.

31 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Kane will play every minute, Vardy is a capable impact player. Do you need more strikers than that? Maybe one more in case there's an injury? Where are all the actually decent young English strikers after Kane? Time for Calvert-Lewin and Solanke to kick on.

More than 2 strikers? yes, of course. Rashford will also go then we need one more. It'll probably be Welbeck, urgh.

Murray is the Grant Holt of 2017, i'm all for taking form players that have had a good season. I wouldn't be against taking a punt on him.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Marc said:

More than 2 strikers? yes, of course. Rashford will also go then we need one more. It'll probably be Welbeck, urgh.

Murray is the Grant Holt of 2017, i'm all for taking form players that have had a good season. I wouldn't be against taking a punt on him.

Why do you need to take four? Understandable when most teams were playing two up top but not when it's one up front. A 23 man squad is basically two starting line ups and your third goalkeeper. I'd take three and give the extra spot to a midfielder who can add something different if you're going to do the usual thing and have some version of the pretty standard three centre mids, two wide men and a striker.

Rashford is probably the best third striker to take because that also covers the wide attacking players to an extent.

Welbeck would be a horrific inclusion. He's absolutely crap. Would be better (but still a terrible idea) to take Calvert-Lewin or Solanke or someone to gain experience.

I get the point of looking at players in friendlies, it makes complete sense ahead of the summer, but a 34 year-old who’s going to offer very little beyond the next six months? Nah, not for me. 

It reminds me of the spell Rickie Lambert had getting England call-ups. A short burst but completely out of the picture six months later.

Granted he doesn’t play in the same position as Glenn Murray but England should be looking at getting Trent Alexander-Arnold in the team and giving him some experience and exposure to International Football, Not Murray.  Alexander-Arnold, though probably not ready for a World Cup, offers England an option in one year, three years and five years at present.

24 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Why do you need to take four? Understandable when most teams were playing two up top but not when it's one up front. A 23 man squad is basically two starting line ups and your third goalkeeper. I'd take three and give the extra spot to a midfielder who can add something different if you're going to do the usual thing and have some version of the pretty standard three centre mids, two wide men and a striker.

Rashford is probably the best third striker to take because that also covers the wide attacking players to an extent.

Welbeck would be a horrific inclusion. He's absolutely crap. Would be better (but still a terrible idea) to take Calvert-Lewin or Solanke or someone to gain experience.

I guess we could take Kane, Vardy, Rashford and Sterling at the 'strikers' that would be quite likely.

I'd prefer Murray or Wilson ahead of DCL or Solanke.

Solanke xD

21 minutes ago, UNORTHODOX said:

I'd rather take Peter Crouch or Andy Carroll if we insist on a 'plan B' Kane, Vardy, Rashford & Sturridge should all be on the plane though.

Sturridge? I love the lad... but he's not ready for a World Cup. He needs to rehabilitate his broken body for the next season.

I am actually more than happy with the idea of Glenn Murray as a plan B. He's a plan B, chances are he'd never start... and he's at least got form on his side right now. And you know a 34 year old getting his international debut at a World Cup is going to be giving 100% effort (at least you'd hope so, but with Murray I'd expect it).

24 minutes ago, UNORTHODOX said:

I'd rather take Peter Crouch or Andy Carroll if we insist on a 'plan B' Kane, Vardy, Rashford & Sturridge should all be on the plane though.

Why on earth should Sturridge go?!

Monreal has scored twice as many goals as Sturridge this season

45 minutes ago, Marc said:

I guess we could take Kane, Vardy, Rashford and Sterling at the 'strikers' that would be quite likely.

I'd prefer Murray or Wilson ahead of DCL or Solanke.

Solanke xD

I think Solanke's got potential... but you can see from this season he's clearly not ready for first team football in the prem. I think based on that alone, it'd be a huge risk to take him to the World Cup. More than a huge risk... the suggestion is insane xD - and that's someone who thinks he'll eventually be a decent player. But he's clearly not ready at all, and I don't think it'd be good for England... or his development.

DCL's a bit more developed, but I don't see what he offers over Kane, Vary, Rashford, Sterling, etc... With Murray you're at least getting someone with a different skillset, i.e., a real plan B.

I loved Glenn for us and I'm glad he's had 'his' Premier League year, just like Grant Holt and Rickie Lambert. He has an intelligence I haven't see in a forward for a long time. He's got a Dennis Bergkamp type mind but has had to work very hard because he is technically limited. I thought his chance went when he had that 12 month injury and got sent on loan to Reading after, and it was great to see him lead the line after that as we finished in the top half. Seeing him have the season he's had has been great, and I wish similar at some point for Dwight Gayle.

However for me, that is where it should stop.

I've been very critical of Gareth Southgate but I admire his faith in players that have progressed through the age groups as winners. Callum Wilson has had a good season, Tammy Abraham has been good at under 21 level, Calvert-lewin has been exposed to a lot of first team football this season and Solanke has done fairly well at under 21. We've got players who could do with the exposure of a major tournament so lets use them.

Just got forbid we have an injury to Harry Kane.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Solanke's got potential... but you can see from this season he's clearly not ready for first team football in the prem. I think based on that alone, it'd be a huge risk to take him to the World Cup. More than a huge risk... the suggestion is insane xD - and that's someone who thinks he'll eventually be a decent player. But he's clearly not ready at all, and I don't think it'd be good for England... or his development.

DCL's a bit more developed, but I don't see what he offers over Kane, Vary, Rashford, Sterling, etc... With Murray you're at least getting someone with a different skillset, i.e., a real plan B.

Solanke has still never even scored a goal in English football. The suggestion is beyond insane lol.

DCL just runs around. He will be in the championship or below for the majority of his career. Similar career trajectory to James Vaughan, but hopefully we will avoid signing him xD

I think it'll the 4 I mentioned Kane, Vardy, Rashford, Sterling, which I think everyone would be happy with. Failing that surely Wilson and Murray are the only options as they are the only other English players that score top flight goals.

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Glenn Murray. 

Just fuck off England. Glad I don't care anymore.

to take Sturridge is an even worse idea I think.

1) he's just not very good, quite over-rated in my opinion
2) you're taking an absolute liability injury-wise. 

29 minutes ago, Marc said:

Why on earth should Sturridge go?!

Monreal has scored twice as many goals as Sturridge this season

He's been to a few tournaments with England now and has the experience. Despite the last couple of seasons I still think he could have a bit to offer and has that moment of magic in his locker.

He's hardly played all season but either have lots of players that should be on the plane with England. We should only be bringing 3 strikers anyway but if Southgate goes for 4 then I think sturridge should be 1 of them rather then Welbeck, Murray, Defoe etc.

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Some proper shit shouts here for strikers. Shows how poor the depth is within English Football that people are shouting up Sturridge, Solanke, Calvert-Lewis and the like. 

Solanke and Calvert-Lewin weren't actual shouts they were just to show how poor Welbeck is as an option, but you're right.

23 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Solanke and Calvert-Lewin weren't actual shouts they were just to show how poor Welbeck is as an option, but you're right.

In fairness, Solanke’s had a call-up to the national side so I thought that was a serious shout, tbh. 

Archived