talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Is Son Heung-Min the Best Asian Player Ever?

football forum

Just now, Blue said:

I'd say that depends more on the person. I do differentiate between them and a few of my friends also do, but I've met a couple people that don't and "america" is known as the west world and not the USA.

West World?, i bet you just invented that.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Berserker said:

Yes, here the Americas are regarded as a sole continent (América). North and South are just parts of it, same as Eastern Europe, Central, etc.

I'd say this is more accurate actually. Maybe my way of saying "differentiate" was a bit off. 

To put it short, I've met people who differentiate between them but to everyone its "america" and sometimes we use north and south.

Just now, Berserker said:

West World?, i bet you just invented that.

West world meaning on the western hemisphere. Maybe I invented the term but the line does very much exist and it goes near the UK. Forgot what its called.

My opinion on the actual topic however. Given that Son Heung-Min's career is far from over it is disingenuous to many players to give him the mantle. Nakata, Nakamura, Cha Bum-Kun, and even Kagawa have achieved far more than Son Heung-Min at the moment, on an individual and team basis.

Its not all about achieving though. Its a team game and I think being able to influence certain matches or runs is more important alongside with the talent. By that logic, Ronaldinho was better than Maradona.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Park Ji Sung came to mind as the most talented.

Son's having a great season but until he wins something you can't really say he's the best ever (I'm not sure if South Korea have won anything nationally tbh).

Shinji Okazaki on the other hand. Premier League winners medal to his name. Son will never have that. 

That is a very weak method of gauging a individual's success in a team sport. I could for instance use that logic to easily state that Wes Brown is a better English footballer than Steven Gerrard, as he achieved more team trophies in his career.

Just now, Blue said:

Its not all about achieving though. Its a team game and I think being able to influence certain matches or runs is more important. By that logic, Ronaldinho was better than Maradona.

Influencing a game is an achievement. It isn't all listed in trophies won.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

West world meaning on the western hemisphere. Maybe I invented the term but the line does very much exist and it goes near the UK. Forgot what its called.

But you screwed up the meaning of the name. West world means the US, Canada, Western Europe and Oceania, sometimes they also include Latin America.

Just now, Spike said:

Influencing a game is an achievement. It isn't all listed in trophies won.

If you're in a team full of bottlers though and are the bright spot in the team, it isn't Son's fault that his team can't influence the game but he himself can. I'm not saying Spurs are bottlers mind, I'm just saying that if his team can't do it but he can, then its not his fault and he's just doing his best.

Diego Maradona is the perfect example. He heavily influenced that Napoli side that wasn't a top top team like some others but in the end won the lesser of the European trophies. He won Serie A (I think twice) and influenced that team to titles. Without trying to sound too discriminatory, Asia has never had a player up to the height of Diego or perhaps a weaker example, Alexis Sanchez. So its not like Son Heung-Min will lead his team to a European win unless he was a top 10 player. Asia just hasn't had that so I don't believe influence and achievements really matter into this discussion. The only one I can think of is Cahill who was extremely clutch and I'd say Kagawa. Not sure about Cha Bum-Suk as he was before my time and Park Ji Sung played for Manchester United who was dominant at the time.

Just now, Blue said:

If you're in a team full of bottlers though and are the bright spot in the team, it isn't Son's fault that his team can't influence the game but he himself can. I'm not saying Spurs are bottlers mind, I'm just saying that if his team can't do it but he can, then its not his fault and he's just doing his best.

Diego Maradona is the perfect example. He heavily influenced that Napoli side that wasn't a top top team like some others but in the end won the lesser of the European trophies. He won Serie A (I think twice) and influenced that team to titles. Without trying to sound too discriminatory, Asia has never had a player up to the height of Diego or perhaps a weaker example, Alexis Sanchez. So its not like Son Heung-Min will lead his team to a European win unless he was a top 10 player. Asia just hasn't had that so I don't believe influence and achievements really matter into this discussion. The only one I can think of is Cahill who was extremely clutch and I'd say Kagawa. Not sure about Cha Bum-Suk as he was before my time and Park Ji Sung played for Manchester United who was dominant at the time.

It is a myth that Napoli was only Maradona. That team spent heavily.

Just now, Spike said:

It is a myth that Napoli was only Maradona. That team spent heavily.

I never said that, I just said that they weren't the best team in the world.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I never said that, I just said that they weren't the best team in the world.

I know but also for some reason you are trying to convince me about something that I already stated. xD 

@SirBalon you're an honorary Neapolitan, what do you think of Maradona's supporting cast... Careca, Carnevale, Bertoni, et al.?

Hidetoshi Nakata, Shunsuke Nakamura, Keisuke Honda, Makoto Hasebe, Yoshikatsu Kawaguchi from the Japanese (big big fan of the Japan national team). Think at this point no one is better than Son (that is currently playing) but don't think he earned the best just for a few good seasons.

7 hours ago, Spike said:

certain Latin American countries don't differentiate between North and South America, the continent is just entirely 'America'.

That's because they want to be part of the cool America. 

8 hours ago, Spike said:

I know but also for some reason you are trying to convince me about something that I already stated. xD 

@SirBalon you're an honorary Neapolitan, what do you think of Maradona's supporting cast... Careca, Carnevale, Bertoni, et al.?

That was a great side and this is something that does actually bother me about when players are looked back on because it seems that without him everything else was garbage.  It was a fantastic team with the icing on the cake of having the most influential player on the world at the time, the greatest ever then... Napoli had him, not AC Milan, not Juventus, not Inter and not Sampdoria (who were also big at the time in Italy)... Napoli had the best player in the world and around him were some top top players in world football at the time.  They (Napoli) actually underachieved because they should've won at least one European Cup in that period.

Its the same as what's said about Argentina's 1986 team that won the World Cup in Mexico.  Fools try and feed people that it was a one man show and those that believe that are losing the pleasure of knowing and understanding about some other fantastic players in that side.

As for this thread... My personal favourite Asian (Oriental) player in my time is the Japanese Nakata.

5 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Thought you were Irish?

Saltaaaay :219_fisherman_fishing_at_a_lake:

English and Irish heritage my good friend. Though if Brexit scuppers any plans for me I may well be Irish after getting citizenship 😘

• Subscriber

Re: continents, why are Europe, Asia and Africa all considered separate continents when they're all connected? Likewise North and South America.

Re: Son. It's hard to judge players on their overall greatness until they've finished their careers. I'd only make exceptions for the likes of Messi and Ronaldo who have already achieved enough to be indisputably amongst the best. Aside from those, I always prefer to judge a players impact at a club or over their career when they've left or retired.

16 hours ago, Tommy said:

That's because they want to be part of the cool America. 

The USA is the most attention seeking embarrassing nation on earth. I don't care what economy says but we are way more respectable than they are.

15 hours ago, SirBalon said:

That was a great side and this is something that does actually bother me about when players are looked back on because it seems that without him everything else was garbage.  It was a fantastic team with the icing on the cake of having the most influential player on the world at the time, the greatest ever then... Napoli had him, not AC Milan, not Juventus, not Inter and not Sampdoria (who were also big at the time in Italy)... Napoli had the best player in the world and around him were some top top players in world football at the time.  They (Napoli) actually underachieved because they should've won at least one European Cup in that period.

Its the same as what's said about Argentina's 1986 team that won the World Cup in Mexico.  Fools try and feed people that it was a one man show and those that believe that are losing the pleasure of knowing and understanding about some other fantastic players in that side.

As for this thread... My personal favourite Asian (Oriental) player in my time is the Japanese Nakata.

To be fair though mate, and I'm not discrediting any of the players around him, but without Maradona you could make the debate that the team was much worse. Its like if you take Messi out of this Barcelona team. Everyone around him is excellent, but the team is still going to be worse without him. Whole different mentality.

Archived