talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Abdoulaye Doucoure - Everton Complete Deal

Watford boss Javi Gracia admits he is unsure if midfielder Abdoulaye Doucoure will remain with the Hornets in the long-term. 

The 25-year-old, whose current contract expires in 2020, has been linked with Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool in recent months.

"I think he is very happy with the team, the supporters and the club," Gracia said.

"I do not know what will happen in the future. If he will sign a new contract, if he will stay with us a long time I do not know.

"He has a very good attitude and helps the team all the time with a good mentality and a good attitude."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

good player. having a good season. one of Watford's best players you could say. 

Would like to know what people on here value him at. I'd say around £20m?

• 3 weeks later...

Abdoulaye Doucoure should resist a summer switch to the Premier League's top six and stay at Watford, says boss Javi Gracia.

Manchester United, Tottenham, Liverpool and Arsenal have all been linked with the Frenchman who has impressed at Vicarage Road this season.

Doucoure, 25, admitted earlier this week that it would be a dream to play for Liverpool and feature in the Champions League.

But Gracia believes the midfielder should complete his ambitions by helping Watford's drive towards European football next season.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • 10 months later...
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

And we're back. This only makes any sense if Schneiderlin is off. We do not need Gomes, Gbamin, Doucoure, Delph, Davies, Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin. 

Do you even need him even if Schneiderlin goes?

• The title was changed to Abdoulaye Doucoure - Watford Reject Everton Bid
  • Subscriber
59 minutes ago, Stan said:

Do you even need him even if Schneiderlin goes?

Probably not to be honest. Watford fans seem to think he's worth £60m so anything near that would be stupid. However, they haven't met Marcel Brands, who signed Gomes for £22m and Kean for £29m so we will see.

5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Probably not to be honest. Watford fans seem to think he's worth £60m so anything near that would be stupid. However, they haven't met Marcel Brands, who signed Gomes for £22m and Kean for £29m so we will see.

Bit of a different situation though isn't it? Doucoure is a key player for Watford. The two you mention, their clubs were willing to let them go and weren't playing for clubs who would consider Everton a rival in the league.

Also sounds like Doucoure is only willing to leave to a top six side or abroad to a side in European competition

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Bit of a different situation though isn't it? Doucoure is a key player for Watford. The two you mention, their clubs were willing to let them go and weren't playing for clubs who would consider Everton a rival in the league.

Also sounds like Doucoure is only willing to leave to a top six side or abroad to a side in European competition

Doesn't really make a difference. Barcelona wanted over £30m for Gomes, Juventus wanted over £30m and a buy back clause for Kean. Brands negotiating a much more beneficial deal for Everton. If Watford want £60m for Doucoure they won't get it unless Brands thinks that's a good deal for Everton. Either we'll get him at a price that's appropriate for us or we'll move on. This guy also got Digne for around £20m last summer and has managed to sell Lookman for £20m, Vlasic for £15m and a 30 year old Gueye for £30m this summer. He knows what he is up to.

And that's good for him on the second point. I'm pretty sure we heard the same thing last summer yet he's still at Watford. It's not like he's had Juventus and Atletico knocking on their door with £60m ready to hand over is it.

7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Doesn't really make a difference. Barcelona wanted over £30m for Gomes, Juventus wanted over £30m and a buy back clause for Kean. Brands negotiating a much more beneficial deal for Everton. If Watford want £60m for Doucoure they won't get it unless Brands thinks that's a good deal for Everton. Either we'll get him at a price that's appropriate for us or we'll move on. This guy also got Digne for around £20m last summer and has managed to sell Lookman for £20m, Vlasic for £15m and a 30 year old Gueye for £30m this summer. He knows what he is up to.

And that's good for him on the second point. I'm pretty sure we heard the same thing last summer yet he's still at Watford. It's not like he's had Juventus and Atletico knocking on their door with £60m ready to hand over is it.

Dacoure’s a key player for Watford, those lads from Barca and Juve weren’t and were wanting first team football - I think there’s a big difference there that gave you more leverage to negotiate a lower fee.

Its late in the window and they’ll want maximum return for a late transfer. It’s a wholly different scenario

10 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Of course it makes a difference. It's easier for the buying club to negotiate if the selling club wants rid. Digne another example. On the other hand, Watford got what they wanted for Richarlison if I'm not wrong? 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Dacoure’s a key player for Watford, those lads from Barca and Juve weren’t and were wanting first team football - I think there’s a big difference there that gave you more leverage to negotiate a lower fee.

Its late in the window and they’ll want maximum return for a late transfer. It’s a wholly different scenario

Every transfer is a different scenario. In every scenario so far, Marcel Brands has negotiated a good deal for Everton or walked away. Yerry Mina is the only one of these where the jury is out unless you listen to the people who think that a few injuries and a couple of dodgy displays in a debut season makes you a flop.

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

Of course it makes a difference. It's easier for the buying club to negotiate if the selling club wants rid. Digne another example. On the other hand, Watford got what they wanted for Richarlison if I'm not wrong? 

I don't know what they wanted for Richarlison but we paid £40m plus a few extra million in add ons and the lad's value has probably doubled in a year so yes, I'd say in that scenario too, Brands got a good deal for Everton.

Neither of you are actually countering my point. I'm not saying that Watford will sell cheap, just that I trust the Director of Football to get a good deal for us. I don't think Doucoure is worth £60m to us but if Brands thinks so, then he's probably right.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Every transfer is a different scenario. In every scenario so far, Marcel Brands has negotiated a good deal for Everton or walked away. Yerry Mina is the only one of these where the jury is out unless you listen to the people who think that a few injuries and a couple of dodgy displays in a debut season makes you a flop.

I don't know what they wanted for Richarlison but we paid £40m plus a few extra million in add ons and the lad's value has probably doubled in a year so yes, I'd say in that scenario too, Brands got a good deal for Everton.

Neither of you are actually countering my point. I'm not saying that Watford will sell cheap, just that I trust the Director of Football to get a good deal for us. I don't think Doucoure is worth £60m to us but if Brands thinks so, then he's probably right.

Richarlison's value has doubled based on what?

That would make him a £90m - £100m player which he certainly isn't mate. 

• Subscriber
Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Richarlison's value has doubled based on what?

That would make him a £90m - £100m player which he certainly isn't mate. 

22 years old, starting regularly for Brazil, 13 goals last season, more than Son and Firmino, same as Lacazette. Would be fuming if we let him go for any less than £75m.

Anyway, now that we're up to three of you...

IMG_20190714_133734.thumb.jpg.6da0850cbd514b5dc88fe6d809328ed1.jpg

:whistling:

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

You're well within your rights to have faith in the signings he's made since he arrived but my point in terms of the fees is he can't be considered some sort of genius because he signed rejects or squad players from some of Europe's top clubs for £20m-plus.

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, really. My point is just you should expect Watford to stick to their guns here - it's late in the window and they're an English side that also has the same TV money as the rest of the sides in this league, so they're not desperate for cash.

I'm just saying, I'd fully expect Watford to stick to a high valuation here and I'd expect Everton/Brands to have less room for negotiation... because the leverage really isn't the same as it would be for any of the players you listed really - except for Richarlison, from the same club.

I obviously don't think you'd pay any price for any player unless your Director of Football thought it was worth it. But I also think that's generally how most football clubs/directors of football think - they'll only pay what they think a player is worth. Yeah, I think Brands has done a good job with you - he's clearly good at his job - but of course he's not going to sign a player if he doesn't think he's worth it.

It's also really tricky now with the transfer market, because I think a few years ago transfer fees were going up year by year... but the valuations were far more predictable. But with the money in English football, it really is a seller's market - especially between two English sides. What Watford will value one of their key players is likely going to be higher than what any potential buyer would expect to pay - and that's where negotiations come into play. But with negotiation, Watford have plenty of leverage to stick to their valuation: he's a key player, you're a club that they're trying to catch up to and selling one of their best players to you would be an obvious hinderance to that, it's late in the window so they don't have much time to bring a replacement in, he's got plenty of time left on his contract so there's no reason to fear his value suddenly dropping, etc...

I think Doucoure is a good player. Is he worth as much as Watford want? Not in my opinion, but I'm not a director of football. Can Brands talk the price down? Probably, but I think the question is "how much can he bring it down" - and I think this late in the window there's little incentive for Watford to budge, at least too much. Also don't Watford have a bit of a shit relationship with Everton after the Silva/Richarlison saga - a bit like us and Southampton?

I'm not saying Brands isn't good at his job. I think you'll find all summer, I've actually praised his wheeling and dealing during this window. I think he's building you into a bigger and better side each window. But I don't think he's a miracle worker, and here Watford have most of the cards to stick to their guns regarding the valuation.

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

IMG_20190714_133734.thumb.jpg.6da0850cbd514b5dc88fe6d809328ed1.jpg

Tbf it's been a pretty boring summer for us. We've brought in 3 players for pennies (relatively in this insane market) and we've let some deadwood go - and honestly, I think the squad looks better as a result of just letting that deadwood go (the fact that I never have to see Moreno or Mignolet ever play for us again is just such an incredible relief). Whereas you've been incredibly active in this window and are making your side much better, and as our local rival that's a bit interesting for us.

• Subscriber

I can't be arsed replying to any further individual points. My overriding point is that there was a time when a team would ask us for a particular fee and you knew we'd pay it if we wanted the player, so this headline would scare me two years ago, but not now, because I know we aren't having our pants taken down like United over transfers as long as Brands is dealing with it.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

I can't be arsed replying to any further individual points. My overriding point is that there was a time when a team would ask us for a particular fee and you knew we'd pay it if we wanted the player, so this headline would scare me two years ago, but not now, because I know we aren't having our pants taken down like United over transfers as long as Brands is dealing with it.

Fair enough, I think I initially misunderstood you and you were thinking that Brands could knock half the value off. Whereas my point was like, "mate, it's a seller's market when it's a key player." Which you clearly know.

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Abdoulaye Doucoure - Terms Agreed With Everton

Archived