talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

West Ham Fans vs The Board

Probably deserves its own thread, this. 

Some fans are against the board but I really struggle to see what the motive is for this. West Ham are, currently, on course for a mid-table/possible relegation scrap and realistically, I’m not Sure what else could be expected at West Ham under current circumstances. 

Are the fans expecting more because they’re playing in a bigger arena and therefore, the club is gaining a bigger income and the fans are expecting more spent on the first team? Is the mythical “West Ham Way” that so many talk so much about yet know so little about rearing it’s head again? 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

spoke to a friend at work earlier this week who's a West Ham fan and she said there were plans for a protest before the game today as well where a hearse was hired and a coffin inside with both Sullivan and Gold's names on it. 

Quite morbid and not sure if it happened or not but the fans are not happy in the slightest. 

God I miss Rio Chocker at times like this.

Genuinely not sure what West Ham fans expect to be honest. They've got owners that cut corners, don't spend and reap the rewards of a multi billion pound tv deal and a free stadium. They're never going to be a top 6 club and have little chance of making Europe unless it's through a cup route. Even if their owners changed, a vast majority of their fans seem to have this attitude tha they're entitled to be a top club. The reality is they never have been and never will be due to Tottenham, Arsenal and Chelsea. 

This is good on West Ham;

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/west-ham-united-board-protest-march-meetings-hooligans-icf-action-group-a8244951.html

"Hooligans from the notorious Inter City Firm have sat down with vice-chairman Karren Brady in recent weeks, and have since threatened other fans planning on marching against the board". 

Most are just fed up of false promises. 

6 minutes ago, HK85 said:

This is good on West Ham;

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/west-ham-united-board-protest-march-meetings-hooligans-icf-action-group-a8244951.html

"Hooligans from the notorious Inter City Firm have sat down with vice-chairman Karren Brady in recent weeks, and have since threatened other fans planning on marching against the board". 

Most are just fed up of false promises. 

Most need to wake up and stop being so gullible and believing millionaire football club owners. 

The only thing you can understand marching over is leaving Upton Park to still be as shit at the Olympic Stadium.

If the narrative is that clubs are going to leave their historical homes (Arsenal, West Ham) which will allow them to push on even further than what their current level is then protests etc should be welcome none of that actually occurs.

Two great footballing stadiums lost for a bit of greed and for the likes of Brady to improve her CV.

• Subscriber

They've moved to a non-football stadium and left one of the most iconic grounds in the country in the process. They've lied to their fans continuously and have turned the club into a bit of a laughing stock. I'm with the fans on this one. "What do they expect" is a complete utter cop out.

Considering they finished 7th the season they left Upton Park, I don't think it's at all unreasonable for West Ham fans to have expected the club to progress having got a massive new stadium for next to nothing. Whether they believed what they were told or not, certain promises were made, and it's plainly obvious they have been broken.

I agree with @Dan. It's completely ridiculous to act as if the West Ham fans haven't been let down. The vast majority of West Ham fans are delusional, mouthbreathing halfwits, so I have little sympathy, but they've definitely been let down.

• Subscriber

But where were they going to progress to? Unfortunately for them, there are 6 clubs that are much bigger and better resourced than them. On top of that you have clubs like Everton who fall into the same category. They've always had an inferiority complex and that's why they bought into the owners warm words about the move. 

Whilst not the only reason, they were desperate to get one over on us for the move to the Olympic Stadium. You can see by the propaganda coming out from Brady at the time, how it was them getting the better of us and getting a stadium that would progress them.

However, the stipulations on it mean they barely make more money than they did at Upton Park, and their fanbase isn't big enough to sustain the prices they would need or had at UP, so they've had to lower them to get people in. Levy knew that you needed to knock it down and build a new stadium there, but West Ham were happy to sign up to play with the running track, and now they're contracted not to remove it for 99 years or whatever the lease is. They're locked in to a stadium that will never be a proper football home, where they can make minimal money on any sort of name rights deal, and where fans will become completely disillusioned.

I do feel for them in a sense because we are going through the same thing, where our chairman is doing everything possible to build a brand new state of the art football stadium for the fans, where as theirs saw a cheap state aided stadium which would just increase the money they can make off the club. I loved trips to Upton Park and definitely miss that. I don't have any love for West Ham or the fans, but can see why they would be angry with a club which just sell them lies consistently. 

• Subscriber

While their most vocal fans can be delusional even by football supporters' standards, their season has been pretty scandalous. Players putting in half baked performances under different managers, when really signing players like Arnautovic, Hernandez, Hart should have been big news for them and see them safely in the top half or not far off.

I might be wrong but I expect ticket prices have gone up since the move to the new stadium? The way the owners have sold the move you'd expect them to be making some sort of progress but they haven't. The stadium situation might need time, you can't expect it to feel like home straight away, but when the performances on the pitch look as bad as they currently do the fans are going to kick off. When you've got a team as disorganised as they are with players running hot and cold so much it speaks to there being something wrong behind the scenes and something that's been there for a while too.

• Administrator

Hahahhaha had no idea it was only 1-0 when the first fans went on to the pitch. 

Got no doubt the players were affected by that which then must have taken the focus off the game. 

Credit to the Burnley players letting the younger fans sit in the dugout to be more safer as opposed to being in the middle of the protests against the owners. 

What's the reason for the supporters to come onto the pitch, other to make a spectacle of themselves and look big to their fellow supporters? Seem the type of 'characters' that would have their own YouTube channel and try and become a minor celebrity.

11 hours ago, Dan said:

They've moved to a non-football stadium and left one of the most iconic grounds in the country in the process. They've lied to their fans continuously and have turned the club into a bit of a laughing stock. I'm with the fans on this one. "What do they expect" is a complete utter cop out.

I find it hard to have any sympathy for them because, despite history dictating that former Olympic Stadiums were black holes for Football Clubs, they seemed so keen to move into the stadium and blindly expected something better. 

There are, as Storts says, six clubs who are far bigger than them and to expect something more within two years, is shortsighted, small time thinking and really, just plain lunacy.  

They’ve moved into a non-footballing stadium and are a mid-to-bottom end Premier League team, not anything more unlike the delusions of grandeur the fans like to think. 

Lots of other clubs have been let down and far worse than west ham have, but you don't see scenes like that at any other club. Loads of fans on the pitch, storming directors box, fighting among themselves and away fans, ordering coffins, hounding Gold and Sullivan after away games. That's all this season and it will get worse.

As others have said they aren't a top 6 club and won't be any time soon. They are locked into a 99 year deal with that shit soulless stadium, making fuck all money from it, the fans hate it. Their really dislikable owners thought they won the lottery by getting the stadium and the complete opposite has happened.

11 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

While their most vocal fans can be delusional even by football supporters' standards, their season has been pretty scandalous. Players putting in half baked performances under different managers, when really signing players like Arnautovic, Hernandez, Hart should have been big news for them and see them safely in the top half or not far off.

I might be wrong but I expect ticket prices have gone up since the move to the new stadium? The way the owners have sold the move you'd expect them to be making some sort of progress but they haven't. The stadium situation might need time, you can't expect it to feel like home straight away, but when the performances on the pitch look as bad as they currently do the fans are going to kick off. When you've got a team as disorganised as they are with players running hot and cold so much it speaks to there being something wrong behind the scenes and something that's been there for a while too.

I'm pretty sure prices went down 

I never like to judge fans who are protesting against owners in situations like this without knowing the full details of their discontent. Can remember when we were protesting against the previous ownership and fans of other clubs were asking why weren't we aiming our anger at the manager? Truth is, they didn't know the full extent of what Hicks and Gillett were doing to the club and even when you told them it would be 'yeah but Benitez...' We were eventually proven right. Fans have every right to protest if they think they've been mislead or whatever

• Subscriber

If you need something to sum up what I said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-ham/12009396/Karren-Brady-Olympic-Stadium-and-Boris-Johnsons-praise-gives-West-Ham-bragging-rights-over-Tottenham.html

Karren Brady, the Vice-Chairman of West Ham United, believes securing the Olympic Stadium means her club already have bragging rights over Tottenham even if they lose the London derby at White Hart Lane on Sunday.

2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

I hate how the media handles these protests. Soccer Saturday labelling the pitch invaders ''so called fans'' whilst totally ignoring the fact that Gold, Sullivan and Brady are killing West Ham.

Not really sure they’re killing anything, that’s just Football fans being overly emotive. West Ham’s future isn’t in doubt, they aren’t going to cease to exist in a few months, Dulwich Hamlet are a London club who face a real threat of extinction. 

2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Not yet but playing lower league football in the London Stadium can't be sustainable. Add into the mix that the owners won't put their hand in their pocket and will more than likely sell off assets to generate transfer revenue and they could go the same way as Sunderland. 

Not extinct as such but barely alive.

It’s sustainable because they’re paying peanuts to play there. I’d also wager a large amount that West Ham with an average crowd of 50,000+ every other week wouldn’t be in the Championship for long. 

I don’t even think that’s “barely alive”. Hartlepool United safely have that tag. 

25 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Not really sure they’re killing anything, that’s just Football fans being overly emotive. West Ham’s future isn’t in doubt, they aren’t going to cease to exist in a few months, Dulwich Hamlet are a London club who face a real threat of extinction. 

Should they wait until the damage is terminal then before airing their dissatisfaction?

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

It’s sustainable because they’re paying peanuts to play there. I’d also wager a large amount that West Ham with an average crowd of 50,000+ every other week wouldn’t be in the Championship for long. 

I don’t even think that’s “barely alive”. Hartlepool United safely have that tag. 

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. Its definitely sustainable because they're paying such paltry sums to be there. 

Come to think of it more, I actually don't really understand arguments - because ultimately their level throughout history has been this bottom half, mid table at best club, that goes up and down occasionally.

Archived