Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

England Squad To Face Netherlands and Italy Announced On Thursday

I presume there’s going to be no Harry Kane but can we expect any major shock inclusions or omissions?

Nick Pope, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Jack Wilshere should be in the side for me. As for Kane’s replacement, I’m at a loss as to who to come in. Ashley Barnes? Dom Solanke? 

If they play Sterling while he's just getting over an injury i will lose my shit! 

Is Ashley Barnes even eligible? Has he not been capped by Austria?

Don't worry about the World Cup. Kane will have his time in 2022. This is Vardy's tournament my friends.

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

Don't worry about the World Cup. Kane will have his time in 2022. This is Vardy's tournament my friends.

Austria?!

14 minutes ago, Dan said:

Only played for their under-20’s according to Wiki. Apparently they’ve looked at him for the first team though. 

3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I presume there’s going to be no Harry Kane but can we expect any major shock inclusions or omissions?

Nick Pope, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Jack Wilshere should be in the side for me. As for Kane’s replacement, I’m at a loss as to who to come in. Ashley Barnes? Dom Solanke? 

Alexander-Arnold?!

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Austria?!

Look it up!

16 minutes ago, Dan said:

Look it up!

paternal grandmother was born in Austria xD 

Tenuous link. Think they should scrap it.

3 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Yep, been good of late. 

Ahead of Trippier or Walker? 

Just now, HK85 said:

Ahead of Trippier or Walker? 

Yeah. No point playing Walker in two friendlies against Netherlands and Italy, what more do the England setup need to know about Walker that they don’t already know? We all know that barring an injury, he’s starting in Russia, give a young lad a go and potentially give Southgate a headache about who goes alongside Walker to Russia. 

1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

Yeah. No point playing Walker in two friendlies against Netherlands and Italy, what more do the England setup need to know about Walker that they don’t already know? We all know that barring an injury, he’s starting in Russia, give a young lad a go and potentially give Southgate a headache about who goes alongside Walker to Russia. 

Don't think they've got much time left for experimenting, there's only 4 games till the opening WC game. 

Should really have an idea of who's playing and in what system by now and go with it to see how it plays out before the Tunisia game. 

Just now, HK85 said:

Don't think they've got much time left for experimenting, there's only 4 games till the opening WC game. 

Should really have an idea of who's playing and in what system by now and go with it to see how it plays out before the Tunisia game. 

Friendlies are the perfect time for experimenting, playing a full team in Amsterdam, three months before the competitive games at the World Cup starts changes little, IMO. 

It’s also a good chance to “rest” players, IMO. City are still in the Champions League and have progressed to the League Cup Final, Walker has played 41 games this season already, he’s not played as many games as that in a whole season since 2012-13. I’m no sports scientist but fatigue has got to be an issue, because Walker’s going to be playing 50+ games before the World Cup even starts. 

I’m sure Southgate has an idea of his starting XI but three months before a ball is kicked, it shouldn’t be that rigid that players who are performing, and in some cases, developing well are overlooked at this stage. 

• Upvote 1

Definitely rest the players involved in the Champions League if possible, or at least restrict their minutes.

Vardy

Sessegnon - Alli - Lingaard

Wilshere - Dier

Bertrand - Maguire - Smalling - Trippier

Southgate

Would love to see some of the exciting young talents getting the call up, if only for the experience.

I don't mean the fringe, U21 players like Abraham, Solanke etc. - Talking about the Sancho's and Foden's of this world, and Sessegnon etc. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Southgate in goal. Interesting.

Feel like he'd do a better job than our current options

Not sure about "experimenting". We were poorly prepared during the previous two tournaments where we had to decide on a lot of things during the warm up games. We need to go into this tournament knowing exactly how we're going to play and how we're going to use the bench. We need to have most of the things sorted by now. At the moment we don't know the formation, the style, the keeper, the defence or the midfield or if they'll all actually complement each other. All we know is Kane starts upfront and he might not be fully fit for the tournament...

2 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Not sure about "experimenting". We were poorly prepared during the previous two tournaments where we had to decide on a lot of things during the warm up games. We need to go into this tournament knowing exactly how we're going to play and how we're going to use the bench. We need to have most of the things sorted by now. At the moment we don't know the formation, the style, the keeper, the defence or the midfield or if they'll all actually complement each other. All we know is Kane starts upfront and he might not be fully fit for the tournament...

Kane will be fine for the tournament - will have at least a month of football beforehand. Hadn't realised just how bad things have got though - but you're right in terms of guarantees.

Only other ones I think that are certain to start are Sterling, Walker and Dier. 

Jack Wilshere, Alfie Mawson, Nick Pope, Lewis Cook and James Tarkowski included in the squad.

I'd say the most deserving of those would be Nick Pope. 

Welbeck xDxDxDxD 

Must have some dirt on Southgate or someone else. The fact he continues to get picked is ridiculous and embarrassing. 

It says a lot about Dyche that this time last year Heaton and Kane were in the england squad and now their replacements Pope and Tarkowski are in.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Stan said:

Welbeck xDxDxDxD 

Must have some dirt on Southgate or someone else. The fact he continues to get picked is ridiculous and embarrassing. 

Who else is there?

Vardy

Rashford - Alli - Sterling

Dier - Wilshere

Young - Stones - Tarkowski - Walker

Southgate

Absolutely beats me that Livermore and Welbeck still get in.

• Upvote 1

I dug him out a bit earlier but in fairness to Joe Hart, he’s not a bad third choice to have in the side. He’s 30, so still relatively young by goalkeeper’s standards yet has seventy-five England caps, has won trophies, played in Finals and big games and played around 300 Premier League games. His experience and his behaviour on and off the pitch, he’s always come across well to me, will do the likes of Jordan Pickford, Jack Butland and Nick Pope a world of good. Butland is the next most capped keeper in the squad with six caps so an experienced head will be like an extra coach in a way. 

Danny Rose is a funny one. I really don’t know if I’d have picked him. He’s not played a great deal of games recently and his last four starts for Tottenham have been against Bournemouth, Rochdale twice and Newport County. Hardly that of a man in any sort of form. Then again, an opportunity to get minutes under his belt might do him good and the next best choice at the minute is Ryan Sessegnon, a man who’s barely a man and has yet to play a Premier League game. 

Jake Livermore is an astounding choice. Currently in the worst side in the Premier League and not even standing out in that side and still gets a call-up. That’s an odd one. 

• Upvote 1

I think you could argue cases for everybody other than Jake Livermore and Danny Wellbeck. Any player in their positions that's English and playing in the Premier League regularly must feel hard done by with those selections.

Hopefully will work in our favour for the rest of the season that Alfie Mawson was picked ahead of Lascelles. Let him focus solely on club and not get ahead of himself.

Welbeck performs well consistently for England and that's what you want from players that are picked for England so I wouldn't say it's that surprising. Also not surprising considering there are no other choices... If we're taking three strikers then it's obviously Kane & Rashford with probably Vardy. If there's going to be a fourth then Welbeck would be and should be the fourth. Sturridge offers very little and has never looked comfortable with England. After that, there's basically no one.

Burnley's Nick Pope says it will be "every man for themselves" in the fight to be England's first-choice goalkeeper at the World Cup this summer.

Pope has been called up to the international squad for the first time for the forthcoming friendlies against the Netherlands and Italy.

The 25-year-old is joined in the squad by Everton's Jordan Pickford, Stoke's Jack Butland and Manchester City's Joe Hart, who is on loan at West Ham.

"I want it to be me," Pope said.

"It would be a massive honour to represent your country and to go to a World Cup.

Pope has kept more clean sheets and conceded fewer Premier League goals than the other three goalkeepers in Gareth Southgate's squad.

He only made his first top-flight debut in September - replacing the injured Tom Heaton - having joined Burnley from Charlton in 2016.

Pope does not think a lack of experience at international or European level should count against players when it comes to England selection.

"You have got to be hungry, greedy and have to push yourself," he added. "It is a new challenge and a challenge I want to take on."