talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England Squad To Face Netherlands and Italy Announced On Thursday

I presume there’s going to be no Harry Kane but can we expect any major shock inclusions or omissions?

Nick Pope, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Jack Wilshere should be in the side for me. As for Kane’s replacement, I’m at a loss as to who to come in. Ashley Barnes? Dom Solanke? 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Is Ashley Barnes even eligible? Has he not been capped by Austria?

Don't worry about the World Cup. Kane will have his time in 2022. This is Vardy's tournament my friends.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Dan said:

Don't worry about the World Cup. Kane will have his time in 2022. This is Vardy's tournament my friends.

Austria?!

14 minutes ago, Dan said:

Only played for their under-20’s according to Wiki. Apparently they’ve looked at him for the first team though. 

3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I presume there’s going to be no Harry Kane but can we expect any major shock inclusions or omissions?

Nick Pope, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Jack Wilshere should be in the side for me. As for Kane’s replacement, I’m at a loss as to who to come in. Ashley Barnes? Dom Solanke? 

Alexander-Arnold?!

Just now, HK85 said:

Ahead of Trippier or Walker? 

Yeah. No point playing Walker in two friendlies against Netherlands and Italy, what more do the England setup need to know about Walker that they don’t already know? We all know that barring an injury, he’s starting in Russia, give a young lad a go and potentially give Southgate a headache about who goes alongside Walker to Russia. 

1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

Yeah. No point playing Walker in two friendlies against Netherlands and Italy, what more do the England setup need to know about Walker that they don’t already know? We all know that barring an injury, he’s starting in Russia, give a young lad a go and potentially give Southgate a headache about who goes alongside Walker to Russia. 

Don't think they've got much time left for experimenting, there's only 4 games till the opening WC game. 

Should really have an idea of who's playing and in what system by now and go with it to see how it plays out before the Tunisia game. 

Just now, HK85 said:

Don't think they've got much time left for experimenting, there's only 4 games till the opening WC game. 

Should really have an idea of who's playing and in what system by now and go with it to see how it plays out before the Tunisia game. 

Friendlies are the perfect time for experimenting, playing a full team in Amsterdam, three months before the competitive games at the World Cup starts changes little, IMO. 

It’s also a good chance to “rest” players, IMO. City are still in the Champions League and have progressed to the League Cup Final, Walker has played 41 games this season already, he’s not played as many games as that in a whole season since 2012-13. I’m no sports scientist but fatigue has got to be an issue, because Walker’s going to be playing 50+ games before the World Cup even starts. 

I’m sure Southgate has an idea of his starting XI but three months before a ball is kicked, it shouldn’t be that rigid that players who are performing, and in some cases, developing well are overlooked at this stage. 

Definitely rest the players involved in the Champions League if possible, or at least restrict their minutes.

Vardy

Sessegnon - Alli - Lingaard

Wilshere - Dier

Bertrand - Maguire - Smalling - Trippier

Southgate

• Subscriber

Would love to see some of the exciting young talents getting the call up, if only for the experience.

I don't mean the fringe, U21 players like Abraham, Solanke etc. - Talking about the Sancho's and Foden's of this world, and Sessegnon etc. 

Not sure about "experimenting". We were poorly prepared during the previous two tournaments where we had to decide on a lot of things during the warm up games. We need to go into this tournament knowing exactly how we're going to play and how we're going to use the bench. We need to have most of the things sorted by now. At the moment we don't know the formation, the style, the keeper, the defence or the midfield or if they'll all actually complement each other. All we know is Kane starts upfront and he might not be fully fit for the tournament...

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Not sure about "experimenting". We were poorly prepared during the previous two tournaments where we had to decide on a lot of things during the warm up games. We need to go into this tournament knowing exactly how we're going to play and how we're going to use the bench. We need to have most of the things sorted by now. At the moment we don't know the formation, the style, the keeper, the defence or the midfield or if they'll all actually complement each other. All we know is Kane starts upfront and he might not be fully fit for the tournament...

Kane will be fine for the tournament - will have at least a month of football beforehand. Hadn't realised just how bad things have got though - but you're right in terms of guarantees.

Only other ones I think that are certain to start are Sterling, Walker and Dier. 

• Administrator

Jack Wilshere, Alfie Mawson, Nick Pope, Lewis Cook and James Tarkowski included in the squad.

I'd say the most deserving of those would be Nick Pope. 

6 hours ago, Stan said:

Welbeck xDxDxDxD 

Must have some dirt on Southgate or someone else. The fact he continues to get picked is ridiculous and embarrassing. 

Who else is there?

Vardy

Rashford - Alli - Sterling

Dier - Wilshere

Young - Stones - Tarkowski - Walker

Southgate

Archived