talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England Squad To Face Netherlands and Italy Announced On Thursday

I dug him out a bit earlier but in fairness to Joe Hart, he’s not a bad third choice to have in the side. He’s 30, so still relatively young by goalkeeper’s standards yet has seventy-five England caps, has won trophies, played in Finals and big games and played around 300 Premier League games. His experience and his behaviour on and off the pitch, he’s always come across well to me, will do the likes of Jordan Pickford, Jack Butland and Nick Pope a world of good. Butland is the next most capped keeper in the squad with six caps so an experienced head will be like an extra coach in a way. 

Danny Rose is a funny one. I really don’t know if I’d have picked him. He’s not played a great deal of games recently and his last four starts for Tottenham have been against Bournemouth, Rochdale twice and Newport County. Hardly that of a man in any sort of form. Then again, an opportunity to get minutes under his belt might do him good and the next best choice at the minute is Ryan Sessegnon, a man who’s barely a man and has yet to play a Premier League game. 

Jake Livermore is an astounding choice. Currently in the worst side in the Premier League and not even standing out in that side and still gets a call-up. That’s an odd one. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welbeck performs well consistently for England and that's what you want from players that are picked for England so I wouldn't say it's that surprising. Also not surprising considering there are no other choices... If we're taking three strikers then it's obviously Kane & Rashford with probably Vardy. If there's going to be a fourth then Welbeck would be and should be the fourth. Sturridge offers very little and has never looked comfortable with England. After that, there's basically no one.

• Administrator

Burnley's Nick Pope says it will be "every man for themselves" in the fight to be England's first-choice goalkeeper at the World Cup this summer.

Pope has been called up to the international squad for the first time for the forthcoming friendlies against the Netherlands and Italy.

The 25-year-old is joined in the squad by Everton's Jordan Pickford, Stoke's Jack Butland and Manchester City's Joe Hart, who is on loan at West Ham.

"I want it to be me," Pope said.

"It would be a massive honour to represent your country and to go to a World Cup.

Pope has kept more clean sheets and conceded fewer Premier League goals than the other three goalkeepers in Gareth Southgate's squad.

He only made his first top-flight debut in September - replacing the injured Tom Heaton - having joined Burnley from Charlton in 2016.

Pope does not think a lack of experience at international or European level should count against players when it comes to England selection.

"You have got to be hungry, greedy and have to push yourself," he added. "It is a new challenge and a challenge I want to take on."

Archived