talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jamie Vardy

• Subscriber

Saw some chat in the match thread about him but wanted to create a new topic anyway.

Firstly on the basis of that discussion, personally have zero problem with his antics - and whilst some of the off the field stuff may have been unpleasant to say the least, his behaviour on the pitch is great. Everyone loves a player like that at their own club.

Secondly, wanted to just highlight what a fantastic striker he's turned into. I was one of his biggest critics, but he won me over. He has pace to burn, great awareness and ability to spread the pitch, and is an excellent finisher, particularly when he doesn't have time to think. He's easily England's second best striker and a great option to have coming off the bench or playing up with Kane.

I didn't think he'd be able to handle the step up, particularly how he struggled at times in the Championship, but he's grown into one of the best forwards in the league and I don't actually think he gets the respect he deserves now, for not just being this non-league to PL story, but to actually being a consistent Premier League forward that can win games for his side.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

oh storts :x 

for years we've been trying to tell you all this :ph34r: 

Saturday's goal was, and I don't care if this comes across as biased, world-class. How many players could have pulled that off? 

There's a thread going round on Twitter about how much he rustles fans of other clubs - as you say you'd love to have that player who does that. If I was a West Brom fan, and Vardy was always celebrating and scoring in front of me i'd be fucking livid.

He's 31 but you couldn't tell that right now with the way he plays. Most players would turn that corner (of turning 30) and perhaps start to go downhill. If anything he's matched the levels of a couple of seasons ago where he seemed to be at his peak. 

The irony of it all was that when he was with us in the Championship, he was being written off as he admitted he was finding it difficult to make the step up from non-league to Championship. After that first season with us he went to our sports scientists as well as Nigel Pearson. With the boss, he said it was make or break but Pearson gave him faith and confidence and basically that he believed in him to make the step up. He asked for the sports scientists/fitness team to help him through the summer while everyone else was on their off-season breaks/holidays and that was the difference for him. 

He's one of the most determined individuals I've ever seen at the club and if you read his autobiography you can see why he's the way he is based on his (troubled) upbringing and childhoo. Yeah he's done a lot wrong when he was younger but he's also bounced back from it in the best way possible.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Still disappointed we didn't get him a few seasons back. Still think he would have been more than good enough for us and would have proved a great little signing for the price. 

Completely agree, seemed ridiculous at the time but would have been a great signing. In some senses he’s what Aubameyang is for you now (although not as good) 

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Against somebody like Belgium where realistically we are not going to have much of the ball and will be relying on counter attacks I reckon Vardy could be a real asset. 

That game is dead anyway, it’s the last game and barring England losing to either of the footballing giants of Tunisia or Panama, both England and Belgium will have six points by the time they meet and they can play out a dull 0-0 Draw. 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

just looked on YouTube.

Those goals aren't remotely similar. 

Ball from deep, coming over the left shoulder, hitting it first time with the weaker foot into the far corner. 

Very similar.

7 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

That game is dead anyway, it’s the last game and barring England losing to either of the footballing giants of Tunisia or Panama, both England and Belgium will have six points by the time they meet and they can play out a dull 0-0 Draw. 

I think we need to try and avoid Columbia in the next round.

The attitude of 'dead games' concerns me a little just based on how comfortable our ride to the semi finals of the 2010 World Cup could have been if we didn't drop points to USA and Algeria.

8 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I think we need to try and avoid Columbia in the next round.

The attitude of 'dead games' concerns me a little just based on how comfortable our ride to the semi finals of the 2010 World Cup could have been if we didn't drop points to USA and Algeria.

I really don’t think it matters, England will lose to the first half decent team they meet, whether that’s Columbia or someone else. 

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Ball from deep, coming over the left shoulder, hitting it first time with the weaker foot into the far corner. 

Very similar.

watched the wrong goal then. typed in that date and Beckford goal and the goal that came up was where he ran from his own half and scored xD 

When you say zero problem with his antics, does that include his racial abuse towards a Japanese person?

Vardy's developed into a good striker, most definitely. And his workrate on the pitch is phenomenal. But he's also a fucking cunt.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

When you say zero problem with his antics, does that include his racial abuse towards a Japanese person?

Vardy's developed into a good striker, most definitely. And his workrate on the pitch is phenomenal. But he's also a fucking cunt.

I clearly defined on the pitch. Off the field absolutely not. 

Edit: actually re-reading may not be quite as clear as intended but yeah clear distinction for me between the two. Off field was abhorrent 

Just now, Storts said:

I clearly defined on the pitch. Off the field absolutely not. 

You didn't define off the pitch, you just said his racism off the pitch was unpleasant. It's more than unpleasant tbh, but it's sort of swept under the rug because of his Roy of the Rovers story.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Lucky he wasn’t a small time youth player otherwise he would have been sacked :ph34r:

I'd like to think there's a way we could incorporate him and Kane into the same starting eleven. Kane's likes to drop deep and push play up the pitch and Vardy loves to run past defenders.

Kane - Vardy

Sterling

Henderson - Alli

Dier

Young - Smalling - Stones - Walker

Southgate

Something like that, I think our biggest threat is to play in a more counter attacking way.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Danny said:

I'd like to think there's a way we could incorporate him and Kane into the same starting eleven. Kane's likes to drop deep and push play up the pitch and Vardy loves to run past defenders.

Kane - Vardy

Sterling

Henderson - Alli

Dier

Young - Smalling - Stones - Walker

Southgate

Something like that, I think our biggest threat is to play in a more counter attacking way.

only effective if you're gonna play against sides where you expect them to attack as well. Unlikely against Tunisia and even more unlikely against Panama.

Having said that, any side we put out should have the capability to unlock defences, especially with the creativity of players like Alli and Sterling providing the supply. 

Just now, Stan said:

only effective if you're gonna play against sides where you expect them to attack as well. Unlikely against Tunisia and even more unlikely against Panama.

Having said that, any side we put out should have the capability to unlock defences, especially with the creativity of players like Alli and Sterling providing the supply. 

We should be beating them regardless but this is England so anything can happen. But I meant against decent sides

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, HK85 said:

Will be an Everton player in the summer, if Walsh keeps his job. 

Not sure why he’d take the step down? 

On massive wages at Leicester too so money isn’t it 

Archived