talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jamie Vardy

• Subscriber

As for Vardy himself, I'll recall the whole story of how it was never all about the ups alone for him here...

When we signed him in 2012 from Fleetwood it seemed odd. £1mil for a 25 year old playing in non-league, but it was pretty clear from his goalscoring record at that level that he was a player on a steep up-curve, I could see why we did it.

A year later, he's rumoured to be leaving us for Sheffield Wednesday on loan and I'm pretty sure my reaction was "happy to get his wages off the books, we're struggling with FFP now and while he's a trier, he isn't good enough" and that was in the Championship.

But during pre-season he looks a different player. He looks quicker, sharper and really ready to go again. The loan move never materialised and he ended up starting our first game away at Middlesbrough. A turgid first half performance saw us 1-0 down at the break but an incident in the second half seemed to rile both the fans and players. We won the game 1-2 through two brilliant goals from Drinkwater, and of course, Vardy.

This becomes the catalyst for the whole season as Vardy becomes the integral part of a side that absolutely romped the division. While David Nugent outscored him, Vardy was the difference. No-one in the Championship had a clue how to handle him. His pace was frightening and his finishing had improved no-end. We were promoted and I really did think that he could step up to the Premier League.

He announces himself in an extraordinary game against Man Utd where he gets a goal and four assists (if you count winning a penalty as an assist) in a 5-3 win where we were 1-3 down. Admittedly, the first penalty was one of the most ridiculous decisions I've seen.

But that's where it all seemed to go wrong. It took him bang on six months to net again in the league in a 4-3 defeat at Spurs, although from that game onwards, our form totally u-turned and we survived an almost certain looking relegation, with Vardy again being one of the key players. His form earns him a shock England call up.

And then it's carried into 2015/16. We all know what happened. 24 goals in the league, 11 games on the spin where he scored which is a Premier League record, and of course the league title. After once again allowing the doubts to creep in on him, he's bounced back to prove everyone wrong and there's no doubting in my mind that he's a really, really good player. He even performs for England after a pretty slow start at international level, scoring against Wales in the Euros and against Germany in that friendly in March 2016.

2016/17 sees his form dip again, although this time I don't lose any faith in him. He's won me over, as have nearly all of that side. After such a brilliant first year, it's all gone horribly wrong under Ranieri and we look nailed on for relegation. Ranieri gets the boot and he's pinpointed as one of the key people behind that as well. I just didn't buy it. I can't put it all on Vardy when I see Ranieri visually telling him to stand off, nullifying what he's good at.

Since then he's shown very good form again and has probably gone under the radar. He got 13 goals last season which isn't bad for a side that created about as many chances as Sunderland for the first two thirds of the season.

This season he's only been outscored by Harry Kane, Mohamed Salah, Sergio Aguero and Raheem Sterling. He's scoring all types of goals now. You look at the goals he's scored this season and there's a lot more than his textbook run onto the long ball, knock it round the keeper and tap in. That goal at the weekend is absolutely top class. It's a Bergkamp / Van Persie type of goal. It's unbelievable technique.

The improvement in his game is almost miraculous. I can totally see why people dislike him, although as Storts rightly pointed out, you love it when it's on your team. He reminds me a bit of Craig Bellamy in playing style and attitude on the pitch. The effort he's put in to get where he is is an example to any aspiring footballer no matter the level they're at, because he truly was a nobody in the footballing world with pace about him. He's embodied everything that's been good about us as a team for the last few years and I find it massively satisfying to see such an out the box type of signing pay such dividends.

Legend. The day he goes will be a sad one. Him and Mahrez are what separates us from the rest of the bottom half sides if you ask me.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

As for England, while Kane would obviously be an enormous loss, I do think for once we've got good players ready to step up as well. Him and Vardy are two very good options, and Rashford I think is a promising one for the future too (although call me biased I'm still having him third choice for now).

It's amazing to think that both Kane and Vardy sat on the bench for us together while we tumbled out of the promotion places in the Championship.

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator

Signed a new contract today for 4 more years.

Takes him to when he'll be 35 so no doubt finish his career here perhaps.

Great news. Icing on the cake on what's been a decent transfer window for us.

• Subscriber

I think from a financial point of view it's a potentially silly move to give him massive wages at that age.

But to be honest, he really is a one off. I think come the end of that contract he'll be considered possibly the most iconic player to ever play for this club. He's one of the best footballing stories and the face of the team that produced possibly the best one ever.

So yeah. It suits me. He's everything I like about us.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

100 PL goals for Vardy.

In just under six full seasons. Phenomenal record.

Faster to 100 goals in PL than Drogba, Lukaku, Rooney, Robbie Keane, Anelka, Defoe...

Superb player. One of our best ever. No question.

Yeah fair play to him.

A brilliant story for someone that was once plying their trade in non league, to end up where they are today.

It's a great landmark to go with his record scoring run from the title winning season and he never let his country down when he played either. Lot's for him to reflect on and treasure when he retires.

Just such a shame his wife is a totally, vile cunt but there you go, he's not perfect.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Yeah fair play to him.

A brilliant story for someone that was once plying their trade in non league, to end up where they are today.

It's a great landmark to go with his record scoring run from the title winning season and he never let his country down when he played either. Lot's for him to reflect on and treasure when he retires.

Just such a shame his wife is a totally, vile cunt but there you go, he's not perfect.

Can't wait for fans to be back in the stadium giving his wife shit. Went on a scoring run this season where each time shortly before scoring there were regular chants towards his missus lol 

Just now, Stan said:

Can't wait for fans to be back in the stadium giving his wife shit. Went on a scoring run this season where each time shortly before scoring there were regular chants towards his missus lol 

What's so vile about his wife?

• Administrator
Just now, Eco said:

What's so vile about his wife?

Nothing, in my opinion. There was that whole 'Wagatha Christie' incident with Rooney's wife (Google it) but she's just a typical WAG to be honest. 

Gets far too much stick just for being associated with Vardy. Not saying she's some kind of angel but there are far, far worse human beings on the planet!

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Nothing, in my opinion. There was that whole 'Wagatha Christie' incident with Rooney's wife (Google it) but she's just a typical WAG to be honest. 

Gets far too much stick just for being associated with Vardy. Not saying she's some kind of angel but there are far, far worse human beings on the planet!

Ah fuck, all that over stupid social media spat.

People need to grow the fuck up. xD

14 minutes ago, Eco said:

Ah fuck, all that over stupid social media spat.

People need to grow the fuck up. xD

Well people should probably stop selling their mates secrets for money. 

Also, she came across as atrocious on I’m a Celeb a few years back. Horrible, horrible creature. They’re made for each other.

7 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

That is what I mean. I'm not she isn't guilty, but when did making a dollar or 'being the first' become more important than being a decent human?

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Also, she came across as atrocious on I’m a Celeb a few years back. Horrible, horrible creature. They’re made for each other.

You're atrocious yourself if you watch that shite :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Golden Boot winner confirmed.

Eldest to do it at 33.

Legendary.

Decent showing given his age. How long do you reckon he has left at the level he's at scoring-wise? Don't get many 20 goal a season strikers into their mid 30s. 

• Administrator
Just now, tlr said:

Decent showing given his age. How long do you reckon he has left at the level he's at scoring-wise? Don't get many 20 goal a season strikers into their mid 30s. 

I'd say 2 years max. The way we've changed our system has hugely benefitted him when it comes to fitness and staying the distance. It's not just the tireless pest any more, it's intelligent runs and that's been a big improvement over past few years.

I think he'll come close to the 20 mark next season because he is our player to rely on when it comes to goals and just being prolific and in the right place most games. Without him fuck knows where we'd be. He definitely needs more support than Iheanacho/Perez next season and onwards. Can't always just rely on him for goals. Especially given we'll need him for EL games next season too.

How does one get 33 goals a season and still not considered a "above average player"? I know goals aren't everything but Vardy has shown he's not just a one hit wonder. Even led his team to a title.

Football really is judged on paper these days.

3 minutes ago, Mpache said:

How does one get 33 goals a season and still not considered a "above average player"? I know goals aren't everything but Vardy has shown he's not just a one hit wonder. Even led his team to a title.

He's 33 years old, not a 33 goals scorer.

9 hours ago, Mpache said:

Who doesn't consider Vardy above average? xD

Archived