talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Michael Carrick among many names for United Caretaker role

football forum

• The title was changed to Michael Carrick To Retire In Summer & Take Up Coaching Role at Man United
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when he joined Manchester United. Spurs fans were delighted with the fee, United fans were questioning whether they would get value for money, he didn't look like the complete player. However to be fair to him he has become a fantastic servant. I'm glad to see he's staying in the game instead of taking the easy Sky Sports route.

Class player and criminally underlooked by England. He's been a key player in Uniteds success under his years with Fergie and never really got the credit he deserved, in fact I think the first time I noticed him get credit that other players would get was Uniteds away match against Schalke when he ran the show.

• 1 month later...

Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick has confirmed he will retire from playing football at the end of the season.

The former England international made the announcement at United's press conference on Monday ahead of the Champions League last-16, second-leg match against Sevilla.

Carrick said: "There comes a time when as much as you don't like it, it's time to stop playing football. That's pretty much where I am at."

Alas, the last good thing about United has now called it quits. 

Shame. Always rated Carrick. Felt he was more instrumental than RVP in their 2013 title win.

Wasn't as talented as Lamps, Scholes, or Gerrard, but the man did a job and always came out the game with a 7/10 at the minimum. 

6 hours ago, Cicero said:

Shame. Always rated Carrick. Felt he was more instrumental than RVP in their 2013 title win.

Wasn't as talented as Lamps, Scholes, or Gerrard, but the man did a job and always came out the game with a 7/10 at the minimum. 

Was an absolute pleasure to watch that season. Class player.

• Subscriber

Didn't we already know this? Sure it was reported a month or two ago.

Very good player - didn't stay long at Spurs and don't think he was really appreciated that much until he left. I do think SAF improved him a lot though - turned him into a superb player in the middle.

Always hear the same thing about him and England - but we never really had a manager that could get the most out of him. 

10 hours ago, Cicero said:

Different player though and only Scholes could perform his role to a better level than him.

Criminal how he was always left out of the England team and yet Gareth Barry somehow managed to force his way in.

25 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

They will probably move in for Poch and don't want to be rocking that boat mid season... 

Why would he step down to Man Utd? I get that they might be arrogant enough to think they can get him, finishing above Spurs in what is soon to be once in 4 years will do that to you :ph34r:

56 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Why would he step down to Man Utd? I get that they might be arrogant enough to think they can get him, finishing above Spurs in what is soon to be once in 4 years will do that to you :ph34r:

Might depend on whether Spurs are prepared to back him with money he wants to sustain their challenges, if they don't and Manchester United come in offering him 3-4 years to build a side with unlimited money then he may well be tempted. That's supposing that Spurs aren't very successful this season, which they very well could be with how well placed they are at the moment.

I think it's far more likely he ends up at Real Madrid next in his career though.

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Might depend on whether Spurs are prepared to back him with money he wants to sustain their challenges, if they don't and Manchester United come in offering him 3-4 years to build a side with unlimited money then he may well be tempted. That's supposing that Spurs aren't very successful this season, which they very well could be with how well placed they are at the moment.

I think it's far more likely he ends up at Real Madrid next in his career though.

Maybe he would go there, depends on his perspective of the game.

Trouble is Man Utd have spent hundreds of millions and haven't really gotten anyone any better than Tottenham. He'd be going there to spend money to build another Tottenham. That then poses the question is the reason Tottenham are unlikely to win the league that they can't sign more Tottenham level players? 

A lot of Man Utd fans wouldn't have much tolerance or patience for what Tottenham have been in recent years under Pochettino. They expect more with the same level of player. 

Now is the worst time in many years to go to Man Utd.  They're having their Liverpool late 90s fallen behind for good moment where Wenger is Klopp's Liverpool and Pep is Fergie's Man Utd. You can buy as many Emile Heskey's as you like the ship is sailing away and catching up is a big task.

5 hours ago, Harvsky said:

How ridiculous is it that they need a caretaker for 6 months.

Suggests to me that they have given up on this season and are gonna plan for the season

1 hour ago, Salford Kel said:

I'd like to see Gary Neville involved in some capacity. Not necessarily as manager but as some sort of liaison between the footballing side and the board

I, for one, would absolutely fucking love Gary fucking Neville to be the manager of Manchester United. If that's the end result of the Mourinho sacking, then Jose's sacking is just the gift that keeps giving.

12 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Manchester United will name Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as caretaker manager to replace Jose Mourinho on Wednesday, but are already making plans to put Mauricio Pochettino in permanent charge next summer.

Old Trafford legend Solskjaer will be assisted by Sir Alex Ferguson's former No 2 Mike Phelan for the rest of the season as United reach out to their glorious past. But it's understood that Tottenham boss Pochettino remains the club's long-term target and United sources have been aware for some time of his desire to take the Old Trafford job.

The Argentine was Ferguson's preferred choice when Mourinho was appointed in 2016, and Sportsmail understands that United have already made the first moves to lure him from Spurs. However, they will face fierce opposition from Tottenham chief Daniel Levy, a notoriously tough negotiator who signed Pochettino to a five-year contract in May.

There is no escape clause in the deal meaning that United may have to pay up to £40million to get their man. 

Archived