talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Southampton Sack Mauricio Pellegrino; Mark Hughes Appointed Til May

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Only won 8 games out of 34. Losing and drawing 13 each of the rest. Not been a pleasant time for him on the south coast at all. Must get a big payout though considering he didn't even last a year in to a 3-year contract.

• Subscriber

Marco Silva surely? Nobody else seems to make sense and be available.

About time Southampton got rid of him. Clearly not adapted well to the league and playing even worse stuff than Puel. However i think that Southampton job is difficult. Nowhere near as much talent at a managers disposable compared to previous years

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

The writing's been on the wall for months, not sure what's kept him in a job for so long. After two bad appointments in Puel and Pellegrino, I wouldn't hold out much hope of a good appointment if I were a Southampton fan.

Was Puel really a bad appointment for them? Yes, his 'brand' of football was a bit dull given the performances, but 8th and a League Cup Final wasn't too bad for them was it?!

They'd be foolish not to go for Silva, though it'll be interesting to see whether he waits to see if Everton sack Allardyce.

Southampton do need to inject some quality into their side, it's been declining for the past two seasons.

Its a shame because they had such a fantastic first few seasons back in this division with Pochettino and Koeman. Obviously the last two choices haven't been good ones and now they risk signing a manager good for the short term relegation battle but not for the long term.

• Subscriber

Hope they do get Marco Silva so people can stop talking about him taking us over. Relegated with Hull, sacked by Watford, relegated with Southampton ought to be enough for some of our fans to stop pretending he's somehow got a CV worthy enough to fix the mess at Goodison.

Hughes is favourite at 1/2 which would be another depressingly predictable Premier League appointment. "Hey we just sacked our last manager because he was getting us relegated. We should definitely replace him with another manager who got sacked recently because he was getting his last club relegated." Baffling how some of these club owners got so rich in the first place with such retarded logic.

Mark Hughes is in advanced talks to become the next Southampton manager, Sky sources understand.

The 54-year-old, who made just over 50 appearances for Saints as a player, is the leading candidate to take over at St Mary's following the sacking of Mauricio Pellegrino on Monday night.

Southampton are hoping to have Pellegrino's successor in place for Sunday's FA Cup quarter-final against Wigan Athletic.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, FOYM said:

If they go for him then they deserve to go down. Be absolutely pathetic.

exactly what Sol Campbell would be thinking!

• Subscriber

Mark Hughes xD

He could be partially responsible for two sides going down.

He'll no doubt keep them up with a couple of wins and he's recovered from that shitshow at Stoke. I bet he can't believe his luck.

Easy to say now but they shouldn't have sacked Puel. While I'm not claiming he's a genius, I highly doubt they'd be that low in the table if they'd held onto him. He's also got a decent track record when he's been anywhere for a length of time.

• The title was changed to Southampton Sack Mauricio Pellegrino; Mark Hughes Appointed Til May

Mark Hughes will probably improve the standard of football Southampton have been playing this season to be honest. Obviously it's not saying much as they've been playing ridiculously dour football.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Why do people think Hughes will keep them up? 

For the sole reason that new managers often get off to a good enough start. He could probably win two of their last eight and keep them up.

I'm amazed Southampton have entered this cycle. They were always a step ahead of the others I thought.

Archived