talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Southampton Sack Mauricio Pellegrino; Mark Hughes Appointed Til May

Really disappointing appointment from a club that normally makes smart appointments and decisions.

They still have a better squad than everyone else down the bottom so with a sprinkle of new manager syndrome added they’ll probably stay up. 

If they stay up and still have the balls to bin Hughes off in the summer then that wouldn’t be the worst move in the world.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

The thing with being on a short term deal means that if he gets them relegated he's free to walk as opposed to being sacked. In other words, there is no desire to really bust a gut because for all we know, after keeping them up they could still cut ties and go with someone else.

True, however, I don’t think Hughes has a relegation on his CV (maybe QPR) and I imagine that’s his one and only line in interviews to try and impress. 

12 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

True, however, I don’t think Hughes has a relegation on his CV (maybe QPR) and I imagine that’s his one and only line in interviews to try and impress. 

Because he’s usually sacked before it happens xD

11 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Why do people think Hughes will keep them up? 

I don't think it's anything specifically about Hughes and more just the fact that with Southampton's squad it should only take a not-disastrous job to keep them up. Like Marc said, the new manager bounce alone could be enough to get the couple of wins they need.

I refuse to believe players like Højbjerg, Hoedt, Bertrand, Gabbiadini etc aren't capable of playing twice as well as they have been. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Inverted said:

I don't think it's anything specifically about Hughes and more just the fact that with Southampton's squad it should only take a not-disastrous job to keep them up. Like Marc said, the new manager bounce alone could be enough to get the couple of wins they need.

I refuse to believe players like Højbjerg, Hoedt, Bertrand, Gabbiadini etc aren't capable of playing twice as well as they have been. 

Fair enough I guess. I'm hoping the new manager bounce doesn't work for a few more clubs like West Brom have had so that clubs have less justification to be as trigger happy as they are but I know that's a pipe dream.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Marc said:

Really disappointing appointment from a club that normally makes smart appointments and decisions.

They still have a better squad than everyone else down the bottom so with a sprinkle of new manager syndrome added they’ll probably stay up. 

If they stay up and still have the balls to bin Hughes off in the summer then that wouldn’t be the worst move in the world.

They probably would. They're quite ruthless to be fair. Remember everyone being outraged when they sacked Adkins but as harsh as it seemed, it wasn't the wrong move.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Cannabis said:

The thing with being on a short term deal means that if he gets them relegated he's free to walk as opposed to being sacked. In other words, there is no desire to really bust a gut because for all we know, after keeping them up they could still cut ties and go with someone else.

It's a good reputation re-builder for Hughes and to be honest, it isn't that hard either. Their squad should be pushing for 7th not fighting relegation.

Archived