talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your Most and Least Favourite Genre of Music

football forum

this thread is not to bash other people's musical taste or elevate your own preference.     just a simple discussion of the genre that you like the most and the one that you can't stand listening to.

since my 15 year old son is into power metal these days, i tried to dig in to some of the famous bands of it's genre such as dragonforce, rhapsody of fire ( turilli's rhapsody ), stratovarius and many more ............ after listening or to be specific breezing thru their full albums in youtube, i find this power metal genre to be boring.   yes, the guitar riffs and solos are out of this world, the vocal ranges is like a rocket but the tempo is all but the same, it becomes monotonous in the end.    there's little to no variation in the time signature.   i've also looked into their ballads or slow songs to to speak, but still, each of those bands has the same aura in them.

on the other hand, listening to king crimson, porcupine tree, tool,  dream theater always fills my musical appetite.    their odd-time signatures always opens up my senses.     too bad dream theater has become of a "normal" prog-rock band, but still, being a drummer myself, i get to learn new techniques from Mike Mangini.   The way he adds color to a very simple song keeps me inspired.  haha.

what about you guys ???  care to share .............................

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, bozziovai said:

let me just add ... god-frank zappa.   the surprises in all of his songs drives one to pick up an instrument and play.

Frank Zappa is fucking amazing.

I'll do the genre questions in a bit when I'm at work.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Frank Zappa is fucking amazing.

yeah.    he has some quirky comedic songs that can make you laugh but if you listen attentively, you'll find that it's damn difficult to play.    You'll wonder how the fack is Frank's brain working haha.

• Subscriber

I have quite a wide ranging taste in music, I think, but I'm also very bad at categorising music into genres xD I mostly listen to country, rock n roll, blues, and classic hard rock these days, but I also have a lot of love for reggae, post rock, soul, punk, Neue Deutsche Welle, Neue Deutsche Härte, simple oldie pop music, and so on. My least favourite ones are probably most electronic dance music genres, can't stand most house and techno music etc. Also don't enjoy jazz. Oh and also that metal stuff were the music itself is usually great, but the vocals are basically screaming and/or growling, whatever genre it is (black metal? death metal? I've got no idea) xD 

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

I have quite a wide ranging taste in music, I think, but I'm also very bad at categorising music into genres xD I mostly listen to country, rock n roll, blues, and classic hard rock these days, but I also have a lot of love for reggae, post rock, soul, punk, Neue Deutsche Welle, Neue Deutsche Härte, simple oldie pop music, and so on. My least favourite ones are probably most electronic dance music genres, can't stand most house and techno music etc. Also don't enjoy jazz. Oh and also that metal stuff were the music itself is usually great, but the vocals are basically screaming and/or growling, whatever genre it is (black metal? death metal? I've got no idea) xD 

that would be Death Metal.     a good example of an aural masterpiece would be Death, but yeah, the demon-style vocals will put you off  :P 

sorry for my ignorance, but i searched on youtube that NEUE DEUTSCHE WELLE and Nena - 99 luftbalons came out.   I was like shit, i love this !!   New wave is also one of my fave genres.  China Crisis.  AlphaVille and more :P 

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

sorry for my ignorance, but i searched on youtube that NEUE DEUTSCHE WELLE and Nena - 99 luftbalons came out.   I was like shit, i love this !!   New wave is also one of my fave genres.  China Crisis.  AlphaVille and more :P 

Haha yes, synthpop is the typical 80s sound for me, and I have a bit of love-hate relationship with it, as I really don't like the sound of the synthesizer that much, but enjoy the overall sound of most songs, if that makes any sense xD Alphaville, Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, A-HA, Soft Cell...good old times when MTV still was a music channel :P 

45 minutes ago, nudge said:

@bozziovai : a bit off topic, but can you recommend any Filipino bands/singers? I love a bit of Rivermaya, Juan de la Cruz band and Freddie Aguilar of course, but don't really know any others.

the filipino music scene is now facked up.   no more original or OPM ( original pinoy music ).   the one's i could recommend ( who make their own music ) are these bands :::

wolfgang - metal - led zeppelin/black sabbath mixture

eraserheads - beatles influenced band

apo hiking society - jazz/beebop

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Haha yes, synthpop is the typical 80s sound for me, and I have a bit of love-hate relationship with it, as I really don't like the sound of the synthesizer that much, but enjoy the overall sound of most songs, if that makes any sense xD Alphaville, Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, A-HA, Soft Cell...good old times when MTV still was a music channel :P 

some of my all time faves would be

how men are - aztec camera

you're the best thing -  style council

i've been in love b4 - cutting crew

• The title was changed to Your Most and Least Favourite Genre of Music

My favourite genre is broadly metal. Like most types of it, from the early stuff like Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, shit like that, to thrash (see signature lol), and death metal & the various subgenres of death metal. I like riffs and I like tasty guitar solos. Aside from that, I like some good ol' fashioned 70s stuff... stuff like Zeppelin. And a lot of stuff from when I was a kid, general pop/rock that was big in the 90s. Grunge, alt-rock, all of that kind of shit.

I can't get into the electronic dance scene and all of those subgenres that fall into that. 

2 hours ago, bozziovai said:

yeah.    he has some quirky comedic songs that can make you laugh but if you listen attentively, you'll find that it's damn difficult to play.    You'll wonder how the fack is Frank's brain working haha.

He was a musical genius, nothing short of genius with him. He was insanely good as a composer and a guitarist - the abnormal scales used and the time signatures in his songs are fantastic. You add in the funny lyrics and it's a great mix.

• Administrator

i'm in to such a vast range of music.

One day I can like and want to listen to bands/artists like The Killers, Muse, 30 Seconds to Mars, Young Guns, Blink-182 Don Broco etc.

Another day and it could be The Weeknd, J Cole, Camilla Cabello, Childish Gambino, Craig David etc

Or, it could be a mix of those while I listen to music as I work. 

If you were to look at my 'Random' Spotify playlist, it has 500 songs of all kinds of music in there. It's got my favourite ever songs in it, new music or just easy listening stuff. I just keep adding to it or removing songs from it if I get bored. 

Favourite genre would be Alternative or Rock, probably. 

47 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

My favourite genre is broadly metal. Like most types of it, from the early stuff like Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, shit like that, to thrash (see signature lol), and death metal & the various subgenres of death metal. I like riffs and I like tasty guitar solos. Aside from that, I like some good ol' fashioned 70s stuff... stuff like Zeppelin. And a lot of stuff from when I was a kid, general pop/rock that was big in the 90s. Grunge, alt-rock, all of that kind of shit.

I can't get into the electronic dance scene and all of those subgenres that fall into that. 

He was a musical genius, nothing short of genius with him. He was insanely good as a composer and a guitarist - the abnormal scales used and the time signatures in his songs are fantastic. You add in the funny lyrics and it's a great mix.

was there a time in your life that you became a heavy-metal snob ??

coz me, during my high school days ( 1991 ) i was ( still am ) into heavy/death/trash metal.   But when Lamb of God came out, i didn't receive them with open arms, i was so critical with them, calling them wannabe pantera or when Korn came into the scene, i compared them to NIne Inch Nails ....

Just now, bozziovai said:

fast there a time in your life that you became a heavy-metal snob ??

coz me, during my high school days ( 1991 ) i was ( still am ) into heavy/death/trash metal.   But when Lamb of God came out, i didn't receive them with open arms, i was so critical with them, calling them wannabe pantera or when Korn came into the scene, i compared them to NIne Inch Nails ....

Probably - I think there's some subgenres and bands I'm still a bit snobby about too. Like most doom metal and bands like Pallbearer - I don't think either are very "metal." But doom metal's a popular subgenre and shitloads of people like Pallbearer... so what do I know lol.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Probably - I think there's some subgenres and bands I'm still a bit snobby about too. Like most doom metal and bands like Pallbearer - I don't think either are very "metal." But doom metal's a popular subgenre and shitloads of people like Pallbearer... so what do I know lol.

the snob in me just kicked in ... i listened to pallbearer and it reminded me of damn Blaspherion haha.   my cousin's review about blaspherion is - IS THAT A PIG SINGING OR WHAT ?!?!? haha

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Try them cunts that come on in wizard robes, tune down to A and hold a power cord for 10mins at a time xD

Archived